Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-07, 07:04 PM   #73
MichaelFischer
kingfischer289
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavagt
2 All who have dual core CPU (X2, Core DUO). Try "maxcpus=1" kernel boot options. If this help, get older driver. Read this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=12

And please write about results.
I was have the same problems but with Fedora Core 1. What I was make you can read by the link. After this system became "rock solid".
Thank you so much for your post. I followed one of your recommendations and now have a rock-solid system myself. After running mprime successfully for 1/2 hour on both cores, I decided that it was likely that my hardware was okay, so reverted the video driver to NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2.run. The system has been stable for more than a day now, and the log file does not contain any more of those "NVRM: Xid" messages. With the 100.14.11 driver, one or more such messages would appear within minutes after booting, and a total freezup would generally follow within an hour or less after that.

To summarize, here's my configuration and what I've experienced over the past weeks/months as best I can remember them.
Configuration
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Video card: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 GS rev 161
OS distribution: Fedora 7
Kernel: Linux version 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
Monitor configuration: dual head, using TwinView
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 100.14.11
  1. Works flawlessly with kernel boot parameter "maxcpus=1". Freezes within hours (often less) using both cores.
  2. I've tried most of the posted fixes and workaround without success: updating the bios, disabling composite extension, various other boot parameters. The only one that worked was disabling the 2nd CPU.
  3. Freezeups become much more frequent when I switched to a dual head configuration. Before that, they would occur only once every few days; still annoying but they didn't render the machine basically unusable.
  4. I believe the freezeups began happening when I first upgraded to the 100.14 series drivers, but they were so infrequent at first, and I think I upgraded the driver at the same time as I upgraded from Fedora Core 5 to Fedora 7, that I didn't really suspect the driver was at fault. But since the problems completely disappear when I go back to the 9746 driver, I'm pretty well convinced that driver is at fault (or at least the new driver uses possibly buggy kernel features that the old driver did not exercise).
Hopefully, NVIDIA will take a serious look at the concurrency issues in the new driver. The most likely cause of something working fine with one CPU but failing at random times with two CPUs running is a concurrency violation in an interrupt handler. In a single-CPU system, disabling interrupts prevents race conditions, but not so with multiple CPU's. I know this is basic, but this kind of bug is very difficult to track down and is hard to distinguish from hardware failures; hence the number of responses in this thread to possible overclocking and cooling problems. But the fact that the old driver works flawlessly for me and the new driver does not is pretty good evidence that the driver itself is at fault.

I'm attaching two log files: The first was taken a week ago with the 100.14.11 driver before the freezeup occurred. The second is with my current stable system using the 9746 driver.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log-100.14.11.gz (29.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log-9746.gz (29.1 KB, 159 views)
MichaelFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 10:35 AM   #74
billydv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 88
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Over the last 36hrs myself and others from the gentoo board have been trying a new approach that has so far cleared the problem on at least 3 computers, a new home file, what Ive done is booted to another partition (or use a knoppix cd) and renamed both root and my user directory to root~ and billydv~ respectively, recreate the folders with the same permissions, and reboot and reconfigure both your root and user directories, it is safe to copy back some stuff like your mozilla profiles, konqueror bookmarks, ksensorrc and superkarambarc in your kde config files but its best to configure everything else from the gui to how you had it before, although it hasnt been long enough to definitively address this as the problem, it sure looks more promising than anything else to date.
billydv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 10:50 AM   #75
a_small_cake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydv
Over the last 36hrs myself and others from the gentoo board have been trying a new approach that has so far cleared the problem on at least 3 computers, a new home file, what Ive done is booted to another partition (or use a knoppix cd) and renamed both root and my user directory to root~ and billydv~ respectively, recreate the folders with the same permissions, and reboot and reconfigure both your root and user directories, it is safe to copy back some stuff like your mozilla profiles, konqueror bookmarks, ksensorrc and superkarambarc in your kde config files but its best to configure everything else from the gui to how you had it before, although it hasnt been long enough to definitively address this as the problem, it sure looks more promising than anything else to date.
I'm sorry but it looks like so silly solution that I would like to ask you to show me this thread on Gentoo forum
a_small_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:55 AM   #76
MeSat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Well, my lockups and load issues are gone with a new card. Same config files and drivers.

Went from a GF5600 to a GF7600.

I will repeat what others have said is this is related to changes in the kernel and queuing or scheduler code. I say this because I had a lockup today at work with a newer kernel in FC 6 and there is an ATI card in that computer. Xorg process was at over 95%.

I hope that this helps to find the issue for future releases of the drivers.
MeSat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 05:59 AM   #77
rt_olsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Thumbs down Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? My laptop still hangs big time and I've tried like everything imaginable (switching kernels, fiddling with endless combinations of boot options, nvidia kernel/xorg driver options). The only thing I haven't tried, and I honestly don't now know how to do it from Linux, is to upgrade my BIOS. The HP support site says there is some kind of update available but just in WinFlash format...

Further, I really want to rig a dual head configuration and I haven't managed to get that to work with the plain nv drivers. With the nvidia drivers it works out of the bok but just for a few minutes before it all locks up.

Isn't there any way I can use my Fedora 6+ together with my built-in GeForce Go 7200 card? I'm not very keen on reinstalling Windows Vista, which apparently is more compatible with my system configuration/graphics card...
rt_olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 08:50 AM   #78
irens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFischer
Thank you so much for your post. I followed one of your recommendations and now have a rock-solid system myself. After running mprime successfully for 1/2 hour on both cores, I decided that it was likely that my hardware was okay, so reverted the video driver to NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2.run. The system has been stable for more than a day now, and the log file does not contain any more of those "NVRM: Xid" messages. With the 100.14.11 driver, one or more such messages would appear within minutes after booting, and a total freezup would generally follow within an hour or less after that.

To summarize, here's my configuration and what I've experienced over the past weeks/months as best I can remember them.
Configuration
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Video card: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 GS rev 161
OS distribution: Fedora 7
Kernel: Linux version 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
Monitor configuration: dual head, using TwinView
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 100.14.11
  1. Works flawlessly with kernel boot parameter "maxcpus=1". Freezes within hours (often less) using both cores.
  2. I've tried most of the posted fixes and workaround without success: updating the bios, disabling composite extension, various other boot parameters. The only one that worked was disabling the 2nd CPU.
  3. Freezeups become much more frequent when I switched to a dual head configuration. Before that, they would occur only once every few days; still annoying but they didn't render the machine basically unusable.
  4. I believe the freezeups began happening when I first upgraded to the 100.14 series drivers, but they were so infrequent at first, and I think I upgraded the driver at the same time as I upgraded from Fedora Core 5 to Fedora 7, that I didn't really suspect the driver was at fault. But since the problems completely disappear when I go back to the 9746 driver, I'm pretty well convinced that driver is at fault (or at least the new driver uses possibly buggy kernel features that the old driver did not exercise).
Hopefully, NVIDIA will take a serious look at the concurrency issues in the new driver. The most likely cause of something working fine with one CPU but failing at random times with two CPUs running is a concurrency violation in an interrupt handler. In a single-CPU system, disabling interrupts prevents race conditions, but not so with multiple CPU's. I know this is basic, but this kind of bug is very difficult to track down and is hard to distinguish from hardware failures; hence the number of responses in this thread to possible overclocking and cooling problems. But the fact that the old driver works flawlessly for me and the new driver does not is pretty good evidence that the driver itself is at fault.

I'm attaching two log files: The first was taken a week ago with the 100.14.11 driver before the freezeup occurred. The second is with my current stable system using the 9746 driver.
My system freezez to: Fedora7+all updates+the latest driver form livna. I have GF6600 PCI-E Athlon64 5000+ X2+MOBO ASUS M2N32 WS Professional.

System frezeeses in gnome desktop, when running game Glest etc. Freezes are in random manner. I must say i have before AMD Semporon 3200+ and freezes to, but less frequently. I will try to downgrade nvidia binary driver and we see, if this helps.
irens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 08:52 AM   #79
irens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Try downgrade nvidia binary drivers. I have random freezes to. I will try to downgrade nvidia driver.
irens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 02:35 PM   #80
rt_olsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Actually, I just installed the older beta driver 100.14.03 and it hasn't hung after an hour or so of pretty intense use -- looks quite promising even though the general performance doesn't feel like it's up-to-par with that of the production driver. I might try to step up the driver version (.06, .09) later but why change something that's finally working alright?
rt_olsson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-07, 12:48 PM   #81
codz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
Post Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Hi there,

I finally found some time to do some testing.
Current status of my HP dv6153 Pavillion Notebook:

Running Fedora 7 - x86_64 Kernel 2.6.22.5-76.fc7 with noapic irqfixup maxcpus=1. Without "noapic" it does not boot at all, irqfixup is because of USB2 subsystem problem __report_bad_irq+0x30/0x72 and finally maxcpus=1 as here sugessted.

Nvidia driver runs without problems with maxcpus=1.
Logs are attached when using maxcpus=2 :-)

Best regards.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-logs.tar.gz (73.5 KB, 180 views)
codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 06:29 AM   #82
irens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codz
Hi there,

I finally found some time to do some testing.
Current status of my HP dv6153 Pavillion Notebook:

Running Fedora 7 - x86_64 Kernel 2.6.22.5-76.fc7 with noapic irqfixup maxcpus=1. Without "noapic" it does not boot at all, irqfixup is because of USB2 subsystem problem __report_bad_irq+0x30/0x72 and finally maxcpus=1 as here sugessted.

Nvidia driver runs without problems with maxcpus=1.
Logs are attached when using maxcpus=2 :-)

Best regards.
I try, what you wrote, but it didn't help at all. I have laptop ASUS A6000 series with Turion x2 + nvidia GeForceGo 6100 and fedora7 hangs as a hell ! I have switched back to nv driver and waiting for updates from nvidia. Their driver must have an bug, but as i can write, no officilaly info from nvidia side. Maybe switch to ATI (their open drivers some days ago) would be a good choice in near future.
irens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 08:45 AM   #83
hedayat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Smile Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Hi all,
I had the same problem, but it is (hopefully) fixed now. I hope that it can help a little.
This is my problem:
I have an nVidia Geforce 6100 graphic card and Fedora 7. I have experienced random freezes (only my mouse worked, but everything else was locked.) but only when I were connected to internet using my Intel modem (dial up). It happened a lot in one of these situations: when compiz was enable, when I was running a 3D application and when I was browsing with Firefox (usually when there were many opened tabs or many flash animations).

Yesterday, I was so much lucky and I could kill my Xorg server before the complete freeze (everything was too slow).

The X server didn't run again, but I could get some error messages. After googling for the error messages, I found that it is related to IRQ sharing. After rebooting the system, I found that when my modem is enabled, it uses the same IRQ as nvidia. (you can check it in /proc/interrupts). And yes, it was the problem!
There are a set of solutions (as I've found):
0. disable all of unneeded pci devices in your BIOS.
1. using noapic kernel option (this worked for me. after using this, my nvidia shares the same irq with usb drivers! But it is much better, since I use my modem much more, and my usb usage is usually very little).
2. If your BIOS support it, turn PNP OS off. and use pci=biosirq kernel option
3. acpi=off kernel option
4. a combination of the above kernel options!
5. Finally, if you can, change the order of your pci devices physically. It seems that it should work most of the time!

Good luck!
hedayat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 05:34 PM   #84
Helker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Greetings,

My first post here... I have the same problem with Fedora 7 hanging every so often.

Here my hardware and software details:

Intel Core 2 T7200

# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.22.5-76.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30 13:47:21 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

# rpm -qa | grep nvidia
kmod-nvidia-100.14.11-1.2.6.22.4_65.fc7
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.11-1.lvn7
kmod-nvidia-100.14.11-1.2.6.22.5_76.fc7

# rpm -qa | grep beryl
beryl-settings-simple-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-kde-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-plugins-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-manager-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-plugins-unsupported-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-core-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-gnome-0.2.1-1.fc7
beryl-settings-0.2.1-1.fc7

# rpm -qa | grep firefox
firefox-2.0.0.5-1.fc7

# lspci | grep nVidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] (rev a1)

This is the error I get:

# dmesg | tail
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 6, PE0000 0fc8 00ffffff 0000ed90 00ffffff 00ffffff
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1 -> L0


I noticed that Fedora freezes mostly when I am surfing the Internet and I am scrolling the Web pages with the mouse wheel. The system hangs also when I am scrolling images with the mouse wheel in the image viewer.
Those are the two occasions when my system hangs. I guess it has something to do with the scrolling then...

I also noticed that sometime the system recovers by itself. I have the system monitor icon on my bar, and when the system recovers I notice that it shows that the system usage pikes to about 50% (like one of the processors works up to its full potential) for the duration of the hang. I don't know which process is using those resources though...
Oter times if I press the power switch Fedora goes through its shoutdown sequence, other times it hangs completely.
Helker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fedora 16, GTX 550Ti, random X hangs, "Attempted to yield the CPU..." MquwIBUO NVIDIA Linux 7 06-12-12 04:39 PM
Tex Is Back: Project Fedora Receives Its Funding News Archived News Items 0 06-07-12 10:50 AM
Random loot packs are the best-selling item in free-to-play City of Heroes News Archived News Items 0 05-06-12 12:00 PM
crashes and freezes Lethal Weapon NVIDIA Linux 9 09-27-02 09:23 PM
Recompiled Kernel freezes H3g3m0n NVIDIA Linux 4 08-17-02 11:09 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.