Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-07, 10:58 PM   #97
voltaicsca

Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

has this caught the attention of the devs at all?

i'm not insinuating that this is necessarily an nvidia issue, but all of the evidence that i have would indicate that it is.

I'm pretty frustrated with this issue, and would really like some feedback either way. Even if this is a kernel issue, or is completely unrelated to the nvidia driver, i'd love to hear it, because at least that would give me another avenue to pursue.

anyway, sorry for the bump, and i'm really not trying to be antagonistic; i'm just frustrated.

thanks for the help all!
-Sam
voltaicsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 09:08 AM   #98
slavagt

This is NVidia and ONLY Nvidia driver problems. I was have the same problem at FC1, I was change motherboard, then CPU, then memory, then upgrading to FC7 - all the same.
Only solution for now is "maxcpus=1", or older drrivers (if it suport your video card).
All drivers after NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.03-pkg2.run have the same problem with random freezes at multicore CPUs. Some peoples write, that 100.14.09 also don't have this problem (as for me 09 have this problem with less frequency of freezes). All drivers, from .11 and later, including .19 have the same problem.
I hope, we will see new driver without this bug in nearest time. Several months for resolve such serious problem - is too long...
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 06:45 AM   #99
slavagt

Today I was try 100.14.19 with kernel 2.6.23 - "random freeze" problem is present So, it's impossible to use 2.6.23 kernel with NVIDIA GPUs, because the older 100.14.03 don't work with 2.6.23 kernel
So, for now, it's impossible to use NVIDIA based video newer, then supported by old 100.14.03 driver, and also impossible to use kernel newer then 2.6.22.X, because old NVIDia drivers don't support newer kernels
Only way to use newer NVIDIA based cards, or newer linux kernels is "maxcpus=1"
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 02:29 AM   #100
codz

Quote:
Only way to use newer NVIDIA based cards, or newer linux kernels is "maxcpus=1"
Same here on dv6153 AMD Turion Dual Core / GeForce Go 7200 on x86_64 System (2.6.22.9) and nvidia driver 100.14.19 (Livna's kmod). Hopefully we will be able to use second core with next version of nvidia driver.

I kind of like it running with one core :-) (thermal zone stays around 51C most of the time)
codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 05:10 PM   #101
mithrandir77

Thumbs up Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Hi all,
I met the same problems (random freeze) with openSuse 10.3 and Ubuntu 7.04, both 64 bit version (no problems with 32 bit version). After reading all your posts and solutions I tried to downgrade the driver version used (from 100.14.11 for Ubuntu and 100.14.19 for openSuse 10.3): finally I installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.06-pkg2.run and since 15 pm of yesteday (so more than 18 hours) I have no more freezes.

Thank you all :-)
mithrandir77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 04:29 PM   #102
YeOK

As reported in this thread, I've been having the same problems. All fixes failed to help me, apart from 'maxcpus=1'; which I didn't consider a fix.

Anyway, on Friday I bought a new motherboard. I needed more sata2 ports, and decided to go back to what I should have stuck with at the start, ASUS.

Using everything the same, but with the new motherboard my issue have gone. Not one crash. I'm not saying everyone should buy ASUS motherboards, but I think the issue is with certain chipsets, I now using a board based on Nvidia's own chipset (nforce 4 SLI), my previous board was the ASROCK Alive using the VIA K8T890 and VIA VT8237A chipsets.

I hope this can better help Nvidia Dev's track the problem down.

Thanks, a happy again Linux/Nvidia User
YeOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 02:27 AM   #103
voltaicsca

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOK
As reported in this thread, I've been having the same problems. All fixes failed to help me, apart from 'maxcpus=1'; which I didn't consider a fix.

Anyway, on Friday I bought a new motherboard. I needed more sata2 ports, and decided to go back to what I should have stuck with at the start, ASUS.

Using everything the same, but with the new motherboard my issue have gone. Not one crash. I'm not saying everyone should buy ASUS motherboards, but I think the issue is with certain chipsets, I now using a board based on Nvidia's own chipset (nforce 4 SLI), my previous board was the ASROCK Alive using the VIA K8T890 and VIA VT8237A chipsets.

I hope this can better help Nvidia Dev's track the problem down.

Thanks, a happy again Linux/Nvidia User
well,i also happen to be running an asus board but with nvidia's top of the line chipset, the 680i, and have the problem, so i doubt that it's the brand of chipset or brand of board that is making it work.
Old 11-09-07, 03:32 PM   #104
bugbuster

Running into the same lockup problem. The screen will flicker a couple of times. Then is normal. This cycle repeats 2-3 times and then mouse/keyboard is unresponsive. After logging in remotely it shows that the X process is taking 100% of the CPU.

I have a GeForce 7300 LE on a dual core AMD x86_64 box running Fedora 8.

The only "fix" is disable one of my CPU cores with maxcpus=1. Of course this is completely unacceptable. The other "solution" is to install the old driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.06-pkg2.run)

Attached is my nvidia bug report logfile
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (33.5 KB, 123 views)
bugbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-07, 05:49 PM   #105
Hapless Hero

I have now tried official NVidia drivers on my ASUS laptop on three different Linux flavors with many, many different settings. I have done 64-bit and 32-bit installs on Fedora 7, Sabayon Linux, and Ubuntu. I have switched to Ubuntu full time but my same problem persists.

Symptoms:

Random freeze-ups for no apparently reasons: it could be starting GDM, logging in, opening a menu, playing a 3D game, whatever. If you touch it, the system will freeze within a few minutes at most.

At times, these freeze-ups do go away, and you can see that one processor has been working at 100% for the hang-up period. But most of the time a hard restart is required.

Also most of the time the mouse will continue to work but all other windows, displays, and functions stop. No Ctrl-Alt-Backspace possible; etc. Eventually though the mouse may stop moving altogether.

I believe this is a problem with multi-processors, Linux, and the NVidia driver. Removing any one of these factors (i.e. switching to Windows, using nv driver instead of nvidia, using maxcpus=1) fixes the problem. All of these are pretty much unacceptable, except if you can live without 3D, which I have for a while but don't really want to.

Does anyone else notice this consistency in their problems? If so I have started a new thread with the proper title so people can identify it readily.
Hapless Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 03:00 PM   #106
voltaicsca

I have found that opening a console window and running find / causes a lockup EVERY time within about a minute. anything that causes a lot of text to scroll will work, though.
Old 11-27-07, 12:16 PM   #107
voltaicsca

well, the newest beta 169.04 seems to have fixed my problem! hooray!
none of the methods that used to produce a lockup have worked yet. i wouldn't say that i have been running long enough to call it conclusive yet, but, but it hasn't crashed in about 15 minutes of running find / on 2 monitors, whereas it used to crash in around a minute, so i think i'm in the clear
Old 11-27-07, 01:52 PM   #108
kyleki

I can also confirm that 169.04 is working for me as well! I've been running for over a week with it and not a single hang! It's so nice having access to both of the cores in my 64bit processor again.
kyleki is offline   Reply With Quote