Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-15-07, 07:04 PM   #1
Elvin Presler

Default Windows & Application Annoyances Rant Thread!

I'll start.

1. I HATE programs that insist on creating a useless folder somewhere every time you run them where it intends for you to save files to. WinDVD does this in My Documents. Alcohol 120 does it every time you make an image in my documents. Adobe (Acrobat) Reader does depending on the version, "My Received Files"....my fat hairy a$$!

2. I HATE programs that insist on auto updating! Paint Shop Pro 9 does this. I install it and run it once to disable this and the next time I run it, guess what it does...auto update! ARGH! Adobe Reader hides the disable dialog within the auto update, so you have to let it run once to disable it.

3. I HATE programs that try to add crap to my start menu > startup folder or the "run" area in the registry so they can preload and try to appear faster than they are at startup. Adobe Reader is massively guilty of this and I run it like twice a year. Why on earth would I want it starting hidden every time I boot up. WinDVD adds some little piggyback exe it tries to slap into the startup folder for absolutely no good reason too.

Do all these programmers really think theirs is the only software we ever run? I mean if I let everything I install have it's way, I would have 287 services running, 89 taskbar tray icons, 478 Try AOL Free!!!1 shortcuts, 23 new favorites in my browser for sites I have no clue about, Yahoo, Google and 8 other "toolbars" I don't want, shortcuts to start every program in every single conceivable folder on my PC. My boot up time would be like 46 minutes.

When I do a fresh Windows install onto my pristine drive, it's like an all out war to maintain control of my own PC from all these apps. I install an app, then run it to configure it (read: stop it from doing 15 things that would slow my pc and annoy me), then search the registry, startup folder, my documents folder, services.msc, Filetype associations, and other places to remove the assault they install. This is not even considering spyware type stuff, just the autorun, auto update, save files here, let me take over MP3's from Winamp kind of crap.

Why on earth does Logitech think I want to "Try AOL Free!!1" when I install drivers for my mouse that I just downloaded on my 10mb/s cable connection? What makes them think I want "Logitech Yahoo! Toolbar" garbage rammed down my throat?

Continue...and name the guilty applications.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 07:08 PM   #2
a12ctic

Default Re: Windows & Application Annoyances Rant Thread!

ROFL Man, thats not a lot of fun is it? Thank god I'm not tied down to commercial software, I don't know what I'd do if I had to deal with all that hassle.
Old 06-15-07, 07:47 PM   #3
evilghost

I 'hate' (used very very loosely) people who think that Windows is synonymous with computing and is their only alternative. There's an ugly name for people who do things the hard way.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 07:48 PM   #4
Elvin Presler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
1. I hate people that post threads in the wrong forum, like posting a software rant thread in Open Forum, for example.
Open Forum. If it was about a particular software, you might be correct, but this is about PC annoyances in general, and a light hearted rant to boot. That said, kindly go **** yourself, forum police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=evilghost
I 'hate' (used very very loosely) people who think that Windows is synonymous with computing and is their only alternative.
Yeah, Vista might be the final straw that pushes me to Linux as it (Vista) is one massive annoyance in itself, in my opinion. But for now, Windows is my only option really, mainly because of gaming alone. Not too many games will run on Linux, or I'd be all over it by now.
Old 06-15-07, 10:13 PM   #5
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I 'hate' (used very very loosely) people who think that Windows is synonymous with computing and is their only alternative. There's an ugly name for people who do things the hard way.
It is for a gamer.
Old 06-16-07, 12:48 AM   #6
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
It is for a gamer.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 01:48 AM   #7
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Cool Re: Windows & Application Annoyances Rant Thread!

Quote:
I'm sorry. I must have misread that. I could have sworn you just told a mod to go f\/ck himself. You couldn't have, because that would piss me off, and pissing Gib off is BAAAD.
Exactly what I was thinkin'. What a Oh, I'm sorry, did I move your thread?
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 03:34 AM   #8
Elvin Presler

Now it's in the wrong forum. But hey, if you want to play the "all powerful mod" game, go for it. Whatever makes you feel good. The thread was derailed by the mods now anyway. Sorry, I don't keep track of who is a mod and who isn't, just who acts like a jerk and who doesn't, and I treat them all the same.

Old 06-16-07, 05:47 AM   #9
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 10:23 AM   #10
General Lee

Old 06-16-07, 04:59 PM   #11
Elvin Presler

Thumbs down Re: Windows & Application Annoyances Rant Thread!

Quote:
Who acts like a jerk? Look in the mirror. I don't believe it was a mod who told anyone to f\/ck themselves.
1. I wrote "**** yourself" (yes I typed *'s). I did not attempt to circumvent the filters, like the mod did. If he took that as "f\/ck...whatever. It's actually not the word I had in mind at the time.

2. -=Gib-McFragger=- was the first to derail the thread talking about it being in the wrong forum, which it obviously was not.

3. This was meant to be a light hearted rant thread to poke fun at programs that annoy us. It should NOT be in the "Microsoft Windows and Vista" forums because that would be for more serious threads where people might actually be looking for help with a problem with a program, not for a ranting joke thread.

Now that it's moved, someone who does a search in this forum using Nero, for example, because let's assume Nero is acting up in Vista or something, his search will bring up this thread with no help or even serious discussion. That is why I put it in the Open Forum...where it belongs. But again, I guess the little mods need to flex their e-muscles now and then and didn't have any real issues to deal with at the time.

You've thoroughly killed the thread now though. I'm done with it.
Old 06-16-07, 05:17 PM   #12
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
I'm done with it.

thank god, i hope that means for good