Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-07, 06:56 PM   #25
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduguay
Anyways, i'm pretty sure both formats will fade or fail. The same thing happened to DVD-A and SACD. HD-CD is almost dead. Then again this is only my opinion.
5.1 audio can't even be compared to this. Most people don't care about anything other than 2.0 stereo audio. That truly was designed for a niche market. Look at the absolute dominance of MP3 players.

HD movies is a different beast entirely. HD video is the way of the future; millions already own HD sets and it's the federal standard come 2009. HD isn't going away and the difference between an SD/HD picture is far more noticeable than 5.1/2.0 audio to the vast majority of people.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 08:20 PM   #26
S.I.N
UnRegistered User
 
S.I.N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: All over
Posts: 1,761
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
orly? Here's one right off the top of my head.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...41&postcount=2

Completely unsubstantiated FUD. I don't have time to search through all of your posts, but you've made your stance abundantly clear on more than one occasion.
.......Of either of the two, HD DVD will most likely be the one to die.

Yeah "unsubstantiated FUD". Read with comprehension and learn to respect other opinions. Take off those shades. And you don't have time because you wont find **** because I don't go around yapping blurayz suckz and I'm hot for hdvd like you and your pals.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 08:25 PM   #27
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
.......Of either of the two, HD DVD will most likely be the one to die.

Yeah "unsubstantiated FUD". Read with comprehension and learn to respect other opinions. Take off those shades. And you don't have time because you wont find **** because I don't go around yapping blurayz suckz and I'm hot for hdvd like you and your pals.
An opinion based on what? Out of nowhere you claim HD DVD is going to fail. Why? Without anything to back it up, it's nothing more than flame bait because you don't like the format.

I don't see how that can even compare when the cold hard facts about BD (lack of standards, terrible transfers and so on) are presented as reason for its impending doom.

God, you are so annoying I don't know why I haven't blocked you yet. I'm going to fix that now. kthxbai.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 08:43 PM   #28
S.I.N
UnRegistered User
 
S.I.N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: All over
Posts: 1,761
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
An opinion based on what? Out of nowhere you claim HD DVD is going to fail. Why? Without anything to back it up, it's nothing more than flame bait because you don't like the format.

I don't see how that can even compare when the cold hard facts about BD (lack of standards, terrible transfers and so on) are presented as reason for its impending doom.

God, you are so annoying I don't know why I haven't blocked you yet. I'm going to fix that now. kthxbai.
Did you even read the OP's question?

This was part of what he said...

Quote:
Question is, is blu-ray replaceable. If yes, then I can sell my ps3 and just stick to the 360 and hddvd. But if blu-ray is gonna stay and hd-dvd dies then I want to hold on to it...
My opinion was, of either of the two HD-DVD might be the one to die because of how things were going. Not that HD-DVD is going to die. I further went on to tell him keep the HD-DVD because how cheap he got it. Its like some of you are just blind to facts or the writing on the wall. Blu-Ray is steadily out pacing HD-DVD while HD-DVD is being hit with setbacks like Block Buster no longer stocking them. Only people like with your shades on and so caught up can take negative news like this and turn it positive to feel better. Now your feels are hurt like some bitch on her period. But whatever and thanks for blocking me. I got bullied on teh internets and stranger wont agree with what I said about him. Grow some balls.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 10:58 PM   #29
ephmrl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Out of nowhere you claim HD DVD is going to fail. Why?
Read his post, read your's, you're wrong that his was FUD. Not to pile on, but it would be nice if people took a step back and get perspective before plunging further into yet another of the multitude of format frenzy flame fests...
ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:11 PM   #30
lduguay
Un-Ripped
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Canaduh!
Posts: 1,968
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
5.1 audio can't even be compared to this. Most people don't care about anything other than 2.0 stereo audio. That truly was designed for a niche market. Look at the absolute dominance of MP3 players.

HD movies is a different beast entirely. HD video is the way of the future; millions already own HD sets and it's the federal standard come 2009. HD isn't going away and the difference between an SD/HD picture is far more noticeable than 5.1/2.0 audio to the vast majority of people.
Well, SACD, DVD-A and HDCD were originally implemented as 2.0 high quality audio. J6P didnt care, so they went with 5.1, and they still didnt care.
I think the HD video vs SD video case is similar in every way. Unfortunately, the majority of ppls doesnt see ANY differences between SD and HD. I think HD VOD might be the next HD vector for the vast majority of consumers.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=861399
__________________

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 10:49 AM   #31
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.
 
1337_Like_ThaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In The Sack ;)
Posts: 2,258
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Back to putting this thread on topic:

This will be an added bonus for me. Not necessarily because I am wanting one format to win over the other, but because I currently have Blockbuster Online Pass and with the BluRay collection pushing near 300 movies and the push they are giving for BluRay, their collection of BluRay movies will begin to grow bigger = less wait times for movies in queue. I enjoy my online pass as I can throw 2 movies in queue today and have them arrive to my house by tomorrow or the day after at the latest. Plus with in-store exchange, simply return the movies back to store, pick up 2 more titles at no cost, and have your top queue ship out, leaving you to have even more movies to view at home. Nice
__________________

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 01:46 PM   #32
Ruined
Registered User
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,447
Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

BTW, here is Universal's & HD DVD's response:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06...kbuster_move/1

snippet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit Tech
HD DVD shrugs off Blockbuster move
Author: Tim Smalley
Published: 21st Jun 2007

The HD DVD Promotional Group isn't fazed by Blockbuster's move to expand its Blu-ray rentals to another 1450 stores, while not expanding HD DVD.
During a briefing with UK press in London yesterday, Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of High Definition Strategic Marketing for Universal Studios and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group, shrugged off Blockbuster’s move to expand Blu-ray to 1450 new stores in America.

Graffeo pointed out that rental counted for less than one percent of its revenue and brushed it off as an insignificant event in the format war.

Ken cited the fact that HD DVD is still being offered in the original 250 stores and through Blockbuster’s online rental service. He claims that those 250 stores are stores where there are large numbers of early adopters and the latter, he believes, is Blockbuster’s major growth market.

Thus, he is not fazed by Blockbuster’s decision. In fact, we’d go so far as to say that this is potentially a bigger win for Blu-ray than it is a loss for HD DVD, based on the figures he’s given to us.

He remained adamant that HD DVD was on top at the moment and claimed that dedicated HD DVD set top boxes are outselling Blu-ray set top boxes at a rate of three to one in the US. In the last six weeks, the Promotional Group has sold over 50,000 HD DVD set top boxes on promotion in the US, proving that once the price is right, consumers will buy into the technology.
__________________
We're all in it together.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.