Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-19-07, 08:48 PM   #25
evilghost

Default Re: Why do you use Windows Vista vs. sticking with Windows XP?

I'm loving Vista so far. I've been impressed with the 3D bubble screensaver as well as the analog clock and RSS widgets. Thus far gaming as been quite excellent on the machine with little or no issues with any of the drivers. I'm tripping over myself at all the DX10 gaming titles I've been able to enjoy as well as having an excuse to upgrade my physical memory to the 32bit limit without PAE so I can have a good computer.

It did take me a while to find the right USB key that was compatible with readyboost but after I found it life has been great, my boot time has decreased almost 300ms.

I ended up going with the Ultimate edition because I needed that, although I can't tell you what the differences are. I may hold off on Vista SP1 because the slow transfers and slow copying of files really doesn't bother me that much, I'm fine with USB 1.1 performance on IEEE1394 and USB 2.0 drives.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 09:01 PM   #26
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

The last few days have brought my first true frustration with Vista. I really put the blame more on Saitek, but regardless the problem frustrates me. My old joystick no longer works. That's fine, like I said it was old. So I went and got me a Saitek x52. Tried to play Mechwarrior with it, only 2 buttons work on a stick that has a couple dozen. Tried to use the BETA version of their mapping software only to have nothing I registered working. None of the pre-existing profiles work on the Vista version either. Back to the store it went.

Other then that I've had no other problems with Vista that would be worth mentioning.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 10:00 PM   #27
Digital_Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I'm loving Vista so far. I've been impressed with the 3D bubble screensaver as well as the analog clock and RSS widgets. Thus far gaming as been quite excellent on the machine with little or no issues with any of the drivers. I'm tripping over myself at all the DX10 gaming titles I've been able to enjoy as well as having an excuse to upgrade my physical memory to the 32bit limit without PAE so I can have a good computer.

It did take me a while to find the right USB key that was compatible with readyboost but after I found it life has been great, my boot time has decreased almost 300ms.

I ended up going with the Ultimate edition because I needed that, although I can't tell you what the differences are. I may hold off on Vista SP1 because the slow transfers and slow copying of files really doesn't bother me that much, I'm fine with USB 1.1 performance on IEEE1394 and USB 2.0 drives.

Ha! Ha! I love it! Great stuff...........
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad 3.8GHz LCi
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
GPU: 3 X EVGA GTX 280 FTW Edition TRI-SLI
HDD: 3 X 150GB WD Raptor-X
HDD: 1 - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
HDD: 1 - 640GB WD Caviar SE
DVD: 2 X Ultra Slim 20X IDE DVD/CD Writer
SPU: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-Express
LG Super Multi Blu-ray RW/HDDVD: GGW-H20L
Display: Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD
Gateway XHD3000 Black 30" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP1
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 11:03 PM   #28
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Don't we already have a "let's bash Vista" thread already?

Why not just merge so all the same stuff can be re-hashed
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 11:07 PM   #29
Arioch

I only did it for DX10 games and I still have XP on a partition. I think Vista is a year away from being where I would like it to be.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 12:26 AM   #30
netviper13
Treehugger

UAC is a pain in the ass when it comes to getting users with Vista activated on our school network. We use an application that ensures firewall is on, our AV is installed and updated, Windows is up to date, system date and time are correct, and finally run a quick virus scan. Every. Single. One. Of. Those. Things. Pops. Up. A. Cancel. Or. Allow. Box.

All necessary security checks before allowing a system on our network, but Vista makes it a pain. Macs ask for elevated permission once and then run all the checks fine.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 12:43 AM   #31
vandalous
UN Spacy Pwnz Me

Send a message via AIM to vandalous Send a message via MSN to vandalous Send a message via Yahoo to vandalous

My rig's a dual-boot Vista x64 / XP Pro x86 and I prefer Vista. I've tweaked and modded it so that it runs at least as fast as my XP build does and I haven't noticed much (if any) performance penalty running Vista x64 with the 158.45 ForceWare. I love the look of Aero.

A major gripe I have is instability when running DreamScenes or DeskScapes animated wallpapers. Whenever I have it active, I get repetitive nvlddmkm freezes. I ended up turning it off and the error has mostly gone away.
NZXT Rogue (red) mATX case | Intel QX9550 ES @ 3000 (9x333) | ASUS P5E-VM HDMI | 4 GB Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 (OC:1066, 5-5-12-2T) | BFG 8800GTX OC | Lite-On LH-20A1H186C Lightscribe DVDRW | Corsair VX550 PSU | Medusa 5.1 Headphones | Logitech G9 mouse & G15 v2 KB | Westinghouse L2410NM + Dell 1907FP | Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
vandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 03:44 AM   #32
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

I found Vista very stable, more snappier than Win XP, better dual core support, better memory management, only problem so far is with BF2142, sometimes it gaves a BSOD with PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES message it´s related to Creative´s drivers and Video Drivers, other than that I´m very pleased with it
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-07, 04:19 AM   #33
Jon

My PC is connected to my HDTV, I have an xbox360 hd-dvd drive and soon a pioneer bluray drive. But, currently powerdvd doesn't work in vista 64. So I haven't booted into vista for weeks now.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 06:18 AM   #34
K007

Only thing stopping me from going Vista is the lack of SLI support along with complete lack of GF7 drivers...apart from that..i like Vista..but i dont have the time / patience to do a dual boot and switch between things..ill wait till its fully up and running with 100% SLI support. ATM i just have Vista on a different HDD which i just connect when a new driver is out to test.

As for comparing security...in XP i use pretty much all 3rd party tools, and they work fine and i plan to use some of them in Vista, ie firewall..i am not ready yet to let Vista control full security on my system...I like some of its stuff tho, like the pop-ups for giving permission / etc which only you see they dont bother me either nonthing popped up during gaming when i tested, so its all fine for me....

All i need is SLI support that works like XP..and i am signed.

With XP i haven't had a BSOD in a very very long time..infact i cant even recall one for ages...with Vista..even the installation gave me a BSOD (7950GX2/SLI issue..took some work to get it running properly), during drivers..more BSOD...random BSOD during just browsing/etc...so i am not ready to have Vista as the main OS...i like to..but i dont have time to deal with annoying problems.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 09:17 AM   #35
ewb

when i got my new system about a month ago i installed vista on a second drive, mostly for crysis when that comes. and i really didnt expect to use it other than for dx10 games. but through setting it up and checking it out i found out its really nice. theres little fixes EVERYWHERE that i used to wish were in xp. i cant even list them because i wouldnt know where to begin and am just used to it now. but anyways, ive not booted back to xp since then. i see no reason to. after you get rid of the nagging screen things its an excellent OS.
ewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 09:52 AM   #36
flukester
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Based off of what? Out of the box Vista's security is exponentially superior to XP's. Not to mention native 64-bit support, able to address greater than 4GB of RAM, and countless other significant "under-the-hood" improvements, I fail to see the validity in your claim.
Can you list those security bonuses with Vista? Because my box is totally secure and doesn't even allow outside ping with no use of 3rd party software. Ya I am running XP Pro 32bit because Vista doesn't even properly support 570 chipsets. I own Vista but it bothers me when people make these 'MS Vista Marketing' claims. You are just as secure with XP as you are with Vista..
flukester is offline   Reply With Quote