Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-07, 01:16 PM   #13
gbil

Default Re: Cannot set custom modelines in X.org (driver 100.14.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem
gbil

With the modeline you have provided X.org starts at 60Hz refresh rate nevertheless flickering is less visible.

Anyway thanks to your modeline I can now set 75Hz refresh rate using krandrtray (Resize and Rotate 0.5) but in this case my monitor cannot adjust the picture - evrything looks distorted and blurry ...

Can you please attach your old xorg.conf?
Actually that is the only line that 'survived' from that xorg.conf cuase I have totally changed my setup since then (2 screens now ) and also changed the displays.

But I remember that with this modeline the monitor worked at 75Hz (hence the _75 part) and had no flickering. I think there is a line that says the nvidia driver not to use edid modes, do you use that?
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:04 PM   #14
artem

I have added Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "off" to my xorg.conf file but at 75Hz the picture becomes distorted and blurred as I've already mentioned.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:12 PM   #15
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem
... to overcome the problems with flickering. My monitor is connected via analogue output and pressing "Auto" button doesn't really help.
Flickering of LCD screens is not related to the refresh rate. That is for CRT monitors.
With an LCD monitor you are just looking at the backlighting through a color-filter that is controlled by the video signal. When the picture flickers, it is the backlighting that flickers, and it will do so no matter what refreshrate you select.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:48 PM   #16
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
Flickering of LCD screens is not related to the refresh rate. That is for CRT monitors.
With an LCD monitor you are just looking at the backlighting through a color-filter that is controlled by the video signal. When the picture flickers, it is the backlighting that flickers, and it will do so no matter what refreshrate you select.

And I was about to say that maybe the monitor is faulty.

@artem: Since I now use my AL1916W monitor as a TV (with an external tuner) I can try tomorrow to connect it again to my pc to try it with the 100.09 drivers. If it works then I would suspect that your monitor has a problem.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 11:05 PM   #17
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
I haven't taken that into consideration. Yes, I agree with you - this monitor is probably faulty.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote