Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-07, 04:30 AM   #1
Colossus

Default Driver for VIVO functionality

Hi,

I have a Gainward 6600gt with VIVO (Video In Video Out) functionality. Under windowz it perfectly works after installing the WDM driver. Is it possible to have VIVO working under Linux too?

EDIT:
Sorry I gave a search in the board now, please disregard this topic.
http://xarchiver.sourceforge.net
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 05:17 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Driver for VIVO functionality

Perhaps look for RivaTV. Nvidia doesn't make drivers like that for Linux.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 05:21 AM   #3
Colossus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Perhaps look for RivaTV. Nvidia doesn't make drivers like that for Linux.

I already did, rivatv looks like a dead projects. Nvidia should make Video In drivers for Linux because we customers paied their videocards with money and not with candies when buying them.
Old 06-20-07, 07:28 AM   #4
Beamerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus
I already did, rivatv looks like a dead projects. Nvidia should make Video In drivers for Linux because we customers pay with money and not with candies when buying their videocards.
This is an old debate that is never likely to get resolved in a customer orientated fashion. I have dual Nvidia cards both with VIVO functionality, but after requesting support for over a year from NVidia for Linux functionality with VIVO, I finally gave up and shelled out another 60 GBP for an Hauppauge PVR 250 TV Card in order to run MythTV.

I agree, it is ridiculous, but NVidia have made it 110% clear that they have no interest in supporting their customers on this issue and are unlikely to ever have interest in supporting their customers on this issue.

It is just another example of their contempt for paying customers who choose to use Linux.
Beamerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 07:37 AM   #5
Colossus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamerboy
I agree, it is ridiculous, but NVidia have made it 110% clear that they have no interest in supporting their customers on this issue and are unlikely to ever have interest in supporting their customers on this issue.
It is just another example of their contempt for paying customers who choose to use Linux.
What a shame! Next time I'll have to buy a newer card, I will not buy a NVIDIA based card and so I think many others will do. I feel disgusted by this unloyal behaviour. What a shame!
Old 06-20-07, 07:41 AM   #6
Lithorus

Quote:
What a shame! Next time I'll have to buy a newer card, I will not buy a NVIDIA based card and so I think many others will do. I feel disgusted by this unloyal behaviour. What a shame!
Unless you buy a professional video capture card you won't get any drivers from the manufacture..
Did you even try the rivatv thing, or did you just announce it dead since nothing has happened in a year?
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 07:51 AM   #7
Beamerboy

Quote:
Unless you buy a professional video capture card you won't get any drivers from the manufacture..
Did you even try the rivatv thing, or did you just announce it dead since nothing has happened in a year?
RivaTV doesn't work, yes I have tried it, I have even spoken with the developers and it simply is not a priority to them, hense why it has gone no-where for some time. There is nothing like support for all the NVidia cards with VIVO functionality. If you have an old card with VIVO it may work, but not with newer cards, and when I say newer I mean 2 years old or less. Which isn't really new now is it?
Beamerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 08:27 AM   #8
Colossus

Quote:
My friend, why does NVIDIA produce WDM drivers under windowz? Are all of those videocards 'professional video capture cards' ? I bought a card by paying money and I do deserve as a customer full support under the operating system I choose to use.

Quote:
The latest NVIDIA cards are not supported by the rivatv project and those supported are not supported fully.

Old 06-20-07, 08:40 AM   #9
Linuxhippy

Quote:
My friend, why does NVIDIA produce WDM drivers under windowz? Are all of those videocards 'professional video capture cards' ? I bought a card by paying money and I do deserve as a customer full support under the operating system I choose to use.
First of all I am not your friend ... I am just an (almost anonymous) forum user.
Second Linux with its 2-3% market share for expensive GPUs is simply not worth the trouble (now).

I also cried a lot for some linux-specific enhancements but they don't even listen. (And sub-pixel AA is as slow as it has ever been, also when the 100' driver explicitly mentions "better XREnder and subpixel support". Sad but true :-/

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 08:45 AM   #10
Colossus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy
First of all I am not your friend ... I am just an (almost anonymous) forum user.
Second Linux with its 2-3% market share for expensive GPUs is simply not worth the trouble (now).
I bought a NVIDIA card and I deserve to use it fully as it happens under windowz.
Who cares about market share? NVIDIA received my money when buying the card!

Ehi people wake up please! Or do you find money on the ground?
Old 06-20-07, 09:15 AM   #11
gbil

Quote:
I bought a NVIDIA card and I deserve to use it fully as it happens under windowz.
Who cares about market share? NVIDIA received my money when buying the card!

Ehi people wake up please! Or do you find money on the ground?

Correct me if I am wrong, but does the specs on the box of your card state Linux as supported operating system?

Last time I checked on my cards box it doesn't write ' Linux supported' . So NVidia didn't promise you anything, they didn't do a false advertisement.

I am not writing this to defend NVidia but it is the reality, the reality is that unless there is a high percentage of users that want this feature in Linux it will not be supported. This is reality and reality cares about market shares.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 10:20 AM   #12
Colossus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil
Correct me if I am wrong, but does the specs on the box of your card state Linux as supported operating system?

Last time I checked on my cards box it doesn't write ' Linux supported' . So NVidia didn't promise you anything, they didn't do a false advertisement.
I'm not saying NVIDIA gave me a false advertisement. I don't understand your reasoning anyway. On the box there weren't stated 'Linux supported' but they released video drivers for Linux. Because on the market there are NVIDIA cards with VIVO functionality that people buy with money (that NVIDIA gets) and this functionality is supported under Windowz they MUST support it under Linux too, that's all.

The talk on the market share doesn't have sense because they have released video drivers for Linux.