Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-07, 02:30 PM   #25
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: In-game advertising in Quake Wars...

Despite what idiots like "Spoudazo" think, there are advertisements in nearly every walk of life.
If you pay $200 to go to a basketball game, you will see advertisements for some lame ass show called "House of Pain".

If you pay $30 to go to the movie theatres, you will see dancing popcorn and twislers convincing you to kick that diet to the curb and get down with Snickers.

If you go to see your 6 year old daughter's softball game, chances are she is wearing an advertisement of some company and the wall of the field she is playing on will have a list of 50 different companies.

If you go to a McDonald's, chances are you will see advertisments on your cup for the latest movie.

If you go to watch cars racing, chances are you won't even be able to tell what kind of car it is because it has so many damn stickers on it.

Advertisement is everywhere. Get use to it. Its not going away. No sense in crying about it now when it has been around us throughout our entire lives. Seeing a billboard every now and then on a game that says "Intel" or "Nvidia" will not kill anyone. Its hardly even noticable.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:32 PM   #26
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog
I also don't want to see this turn into DVD movies. Where you can't fast forward past preview trailers for upcoming movies (ads).
Yeah I hate that, but how exactly does one fast forward in a video game?

Anyway, AnyDVD FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Advertisement is everywhere. Get use to it. Its not going away. No sense in crying about it now when it has been around us throughout our entire lives. Seeing a billboard every now and then on a game that says "Intel" or "Nvidia" will not kill anyone. Its hardly even noticable.
I predict that in about 50 years you will be able to buy glasses or implants that sense advertisements and then censor them from your view.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:41 PM   #27
rudedog
Not so Rude

I remember several games a while back where you could not use the esc or enter key to bypass their studio ad. Every time you start the game you had to sit through a damn dancing logo before you could start the game.

Tiger, the more you let these things go, the more they will push them down your throat. I'm too old now to be pushed around and will look for other opportunities where it makes financial sense to me.

I got rid of my XM radio because of the ads. If I wanted to listen to ads on the radio I could use my FM and AM tuner, which I'm doing now.
BDR-202|X-Fi Fatal1ty 2.07.0004|Logitec G7-setpoint 3.1.116|Ergodex DX1-firmware 1.1-driver1.3|Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD|PCPower and Cooling TurboCool 1000 SLI|Windows 7 Ultimate|Klipsch THX 5.1
Imac: Snow Leopard|27" screen|i7 2.93|12 GB|ATI HD 5750 1G|WD 1T SATA|2xWD 2T firewire 800|Sharing Dell 24"
Laptop: MBP|2.16|2GB ram|160drive
Laptop 2: MBP Unibody|2.66|4GB ram|320drive
Camera: D700 + MB-D10 + EN-EL3e + GP1|Nikon14-24 f2.8|nikon24-70 f2.8|nikon70-200 f2.8|nikon 50 f1.4|Sigma 150-500
Car: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purl|6 Speed|Power roof|Super Track Pack|20" classic rims|Functional ram air hood
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:43 PM   #28
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
It comes down to if they wish to earn extra income at our expense then they need to offer us, something in return.

$30 for games with ads vs $50 for games without ads.

I also don't want to see this turn into DVD movies. Where you can't fast forward past preview trailers for upcoming movies (ads).

Right now I don't see anything in it for the customers. I only see a way for the developers/publishers to make extra money after we paid full price for the game. We the customer get NOTHING in return.

Now, I can see free expansion maps\packs like the latest BF2 map that was sponsored by Intel. That was a free add-on paid for by in game ads - I'm all for that.

When we see great companies like Ritual go nearly bankrupt, I think that in game advertising is a good thing for consumers.
Old 06-20-07, 02:50 PM   #29
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
I remember several games a while back where you could not use the esc or enter key to bypass their studio ad. Every time you start the game you had to sit through a damn dancing logo before you could start the game.
Aren't most of those capable of being bypassed if you delete the corresponding file or make an alteration to the ini?
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 02:59 PM   #30
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
When we see great companies like Ritual go nearly bankrupt, I think that in game advertising is a good thing for consumers.
QFT
Old 06-20-07, 03:26 PM   #31
flukester
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
QFT
What a load of bullucks. Ritual sucks and that's the only reason. Pff, what games do they have? how many did they abandon? How many did they do 'themselves'? How many did they do cuz nobody else gave any interest? Now how many times did they abandon communities? Ads wouldn't save Ritual. Ritual went under/sold out cuz they were big mouthes, liars and deceivers and never thought ahead of the game. Their gaming studios got bought out cuz they sold out to some Mumbojumbo crap company... I was around when Sin came out originally and they stiffed their whole community with cheap excuses and then they hid for nearly 2 years before resurfacing. And where is Sin Episodes? Dead? ah that's right they ran away cuz they didn't forcast the costs or development costs... Pfff. Ritual is where they are cuz they were run by a moron.

I don't particularly care about Ads in games as long as they are tasteful in regards to the game they are in. In terms of QW like I said, I'd just like to see how they can be kept in sync with the game.

Take a look at that vast array of quality games. http://www.mumbojumbo.com/. If Ritual was so good don't you think someone of worth would have snapped em up? Cmon...
flukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 03:28 PM   #32
ViN86

im sure it wont take away from the environment/gameplay.

it will probably only be in MP.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-07, 03:32 PM   #33
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
it will probably only be in MP.
which is basically the entire game...
Old 06-20-07, 03:40 PM   #34
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukester
What a load of bullucks. Ritual sucks and that's the only reason. Pff, what games do they have? how many did they abandon? How many did they do 'themselves'? How many did they do cuz nobody else gave any interest? Now how many times did they abandon communities? Ads wouldn't save Ritual. Ritual went under/sold out cuz they were big mouthes, liars and deceivers and never thought ahead of the game. Their gaming studios got bought out cuz they sold out to some Mumbojumbo crap company... I was around when Sin came out originally and they stiffed their whole community with cheap excuses and then they hid for nearly 2 years before resurfacing. And where is Sin Episodes? Dead? ah that's right they ran away cuz they didn't forcast the costs or development costs... Pfff. Ritual is where they are cuz they were run by a moron.

I don't particularly care about Ads in games as long as they are tasteful in regards to the game they are in. In terms of QW like I said, I'd just like to see how they can be kept in sync with the game.

Take a look at that vast array of quality games. http://www.mumbojumbo.com/. If Ritual was so good don't you think someone of worth would have snapped em up? Cmon...
Ok. Replace Ritual with Looking Glass Studios.
Old 06-20-07, 04:22 PM   #35
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

I do believe ritual are where they are because they make mediocre games and can't do more than that. Thankfully you can get away with mediocrity in the casual market so it wasn't actually a bad move.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 04:32 PM   #36
Elvin Presler

I don't mind static in game ads, like the Burger King sign in front of a burger joint looking building in the game or billboards with ads in racing games. It looks like part of the game then.

What I don't like, and will NEVER by a game that has, is the dynamic kind where it connects to the internet and some ad server to stick the ads in as you play. That is just spyware in my book and no matter how minimal, it is going to waste my bandwidth and decrease performance at some level.

I could easily imagine trying to play the game sometime and having it crash to desktop with an error about "Master Server failed to respond" when all it was is the ad server somewhere was down! I just don't like having extra junk tied to anything I have to pay for. The buggy copy protection is bad enough without dynamic, spyware, advertising servers now too.

If they are so desperate for money to provide "extra content" or whatever ridiculous excuse they are using to line their pockets, I think they should just go the hell out of business. Any company that rams ads into a retail product isn't getting mine, that's for sure.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote