Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-03, 02:23 PM   #85
dagger

Andy: thx for that fix. It looks that drivers works very well

I've got something like that during compilation:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol __global_cli
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol smp_call_function
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol tqueue_lock
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol __global_save_flags
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol __global_restore_flags
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol smp_num_cpus
/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.8/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o:

any ideas ?

I need help with one more thing. During Xserver statup:
Symbol __glXActiveScreens for module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri. is unresolved!

Last edited by dagger; 04-01-03 at 02:27 PM.
dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 02:30 PM   #86
Andy Mecham
l33t master

dagger: unresolved symbols are caused by a mismatch between your kernel source configuration and your running kernel. Those symbols look like you've got an SMP kernel with a UP configuration, or vice versa. Please make sure they match.

The DRI symbol is harmless; to get rid of it, remove the 'Load "dri"' line from your XF86Config file.

--andy

edit: whoops, going too fast.

Last edited by Andy Mecham; 04-01-03 at 02:36 PM.
Andy Mecham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 02:58 PM   #87
Suff

Default Still no good

Hi.

Although I was a bit excited about the new driver for linux, I am not anymore. There still no support for 2.5 series kernels. Why is that so?

The other point I wan't to settle, is that NVidia DOES NOT provide SOURCES for their drivers. It may look so, but it ain't so. The so called "source" for the driver is just a wrapper for the already compiled driver (that big .o file in the so called source directory) so that kernel could use it. I hope that NVidia will release specs for their hardware so, that proper drivers by OSS community could be written, but I think that it will never happen. As from this moment on, I personally will never buy another NVidia product again, because their support for their hardware is not good at all. Hint: I won't buy ATI either. I'll go for my old love Matrox instead. Atleast those guys don't lie do you to make them look better.

Peace
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 03:00 PM   #88
dagger

Thx Andy!

I owe u.
Old 04-01-03, 03:08 PM   #89
jobo

Quote:
Originally posted by bensa
The installer was nice and quick, but my glxgears framerate dropped like 300 fps.
Got the same drop in glxgears here, it used to run at 600'ish frames, and now it's 250'ish frames. Using a Duron 1200 mhz / GeForce 2 MX400 / Slackware 9.

Everything else seems to be working fine though, and since I don't really use the card for anything that needs 3D acceleration, I'm happy

Brian Graversen
jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 03:19 PM   #90
cbreaker

Default Re: Still no good

Quote:
Originally posted by Suff
Hi.

Although I was a bit excited about the new driver for linux, I am not anymore. There still no support for 2.5 series kernels. Why is that so?

The 2.5 kernels are development, and unstable. I have no problems with nVidia not supporting an unstable, changing every day, development kernel. When 2.6 is out, we can expect support from nVidia.

Quote:
The other point I wan't to settle, is that NVidia DOES NOT provide SOURCES for their drivers. It may look so, but it ain't so. The so called "source" for the driver is just a wrapper for the already compiled driver (that big .o file in the so called source directory) so that kernel could use it.
This is old news. The reason they don't release a source is because their hardware uses technologies leased from other companies. They can't release sources without breaking a handful of NDA's.

I don't mind that the drivers are not open source. What I like is having pretty much complete working drivers for my hardware. This type of mentality causes many manufacturer's to simply skip linux support alltogether.

The important part is that the OS itself is free, open, and not run by any one company. I have no problem with companies selling closed-source software, closed source drivers, etc. As long as the OS component is free, we're in good shape.

Quote:
I hope that NVidia will release specs for their hardware so, that proper drivers by OSS community could be written, but I think that it will never happen. As from this moment on, I personally will never buy another NVidia product again, because their support for their hardware is not good at all. Hint: I won't buy ATI either. I'll go for my old love Matrox instead. Atleast those guys don't lie do you to make them look better.
This is unlikely. nVidia is in the business of competing in a very tight market, and I'm sure the company brass wouldn't want others to clone their work. Although this would be highly unlikely, you can't do much to convince management.

Matrox boards are great, but they won't do 3D good enough to do the hard work.

As far as nVidia "lying" to us; you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you believe what you want to believe, I don't know. nVidia has never hiddin the fact that the kernel module is not open source, and it's been stated several times by nVidia itself that the kernel module is a wrapper.

So go play with your Matrox boards. Do some word processing or something. Myself, I'm going to go play UT2003 now. See ya.
cbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 03:23 PM   #91
cservin

Andy: I have the latest 1.32 Release of q3a and have tried with and without DGA mouse.

If anyone else has Quake3 and is using this Driver without mouse problems please let me know.
cservin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 03:45 PM   #92
dagger

I have another problem
When I'm trying to access to my Xserver from 2-nd computer i have something like that:

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":2.0".

What can I do? I cant switch to full screen mode my xserver.
I can loggon into it, run process, but i can do it only in window mode.

Old 04-01-03, 03:57 PM   #93
Fragger

Send a message via ICQ to Fragger
Default X-Server crashes when ctrl+alt+del pressed

Hello!

My X-Server crashes and freezes the whole computer when pressing ctrl+alt+del to restart the x-server.

With 3123 there were no freezes!

My machine: SuSE 8.0, Kernel 2.4.20 (compiled with make oldconfig), Xfree 4.2 and new 4349-drivers self compiled)

Is this a known problem or how can I solve this?!

Please help - thx in advance...
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 04:25 PM   #94
cbreaker

You know that CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE are the right keys, not CTRL-ALT-DEL?

Just making sure =)
cbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 04:29 PM   #95
reid

Default Re: XMMS and OO.o killed by new driver

Quote:
Originally posted by minkwe
I installed both the driver on RedHat Phoebe-3. Everything went well but

1. Now XMMS doesn't start. It just cores
2. OpenOffice.org doesn't start either. It cores as well.

I wonder how many other apps are broken by this driver. I've tested this on two machines running Phoebe-3 and the same effect is observed -- and I made sure to check that these apps were working before the driver was installed.
I'm currently running Red Hat 9, and both xmms and ooffice work fine. Time to upgrade!
reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 05:28 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
3777: it sounds like you're trying to run this in X...

Kill X, change to a virtual terminal, and type 'sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run'.

--andy
Yes I was, will try in text mode after I upgrade to Red Hat 9.0 next week. New drivers are great by the way!

P.S. I still hope Nvidia decides to offer the two individual tar.gz source files, along with a single installation program.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote