Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-03, 04:30 PM   #97
bwkaz

Default Re: Re: Still no good

Quote:
Originally posted by cbreaker
... and I'm sure the company brass wouldn't want others to clone their work.
Actually, that's exactly what they want other companies to do. What with release cycles of six months to a year, this is the kind of thing you want your competition to do. Considering that the time it takes to reverse-engineer a card's features knowing only the full driver source is (at a guess) at minimum six to eight months, that's 6 to 8 months that nVidia has a jump on their competition. They can then use that time to make their own chips better.

While the competition is doing nothing but playing catch-up.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 04:33 PM   #98
reid

Default Error with gdm?

As I mentioned above, I'm running Red Hat 9 and 4349 (kernel is a non-packaged 2.4.21-pre6). The only problem I've run into is that when I start in runlevel 5 and gdm, everything locks up with a black screen. I haven't tried remotely logging in, but ctrl-alt-backspace definitely doesn't work. The strange thing is that starting X manually works fine. I don't know what the difference is.

I remembered that RenderAccel has been mentioned here, so I tried setting that to zero. That fixed the gdm problem (phew, lucky guess).

Other than that, it's been running pretty well for me (though I haven't tried anything 3d). Thanks!
reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 05:00 PM   #99
Andy Mecham
l33t master

cservin: do you have 1.32b? Q3A works fine for me here.

--andy
Old 04-01-03, 06:56 PM   #100
capt_nemo

Ok, first the good. The x startup delay has gone from ~20 sec in 3123 to about 0 sec. The 2d speed is better than 4191, but thats not saying much. However the 3d speed is worse than 3123, a small matter of a few fps in gears and reflect, nothing major. 2d speed is still much worse than 3123, minor tasks like scrolling a non antialiased mozilla window now take 30-100 % cpu. I am getting regular spikes up to 100% form the flash ad on this page. This is not normal. I run mandrake 9.0, kernel 2.4.20 custom compiled, p3 500, 384 mb ram, intel bx2 chipset, nvidia agp driver, geforce 4mx 440, agp 2x, gcc3.2 and gnome 2, with render accell enabled. Back to 3123 I guess.
capt_nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 07:03 PM   #101
cbreaker

Quote:
Originally posted by pkzln89
I I think ATI's policy is that they don't
really support Linux, but they don't stand in the
way of people who volunteer to write drivers
for ATI, and provide them with the necessary information.
You would be quite incorrect about this. They don't provide detailed information about their chips. And the ATI drivers are "closed source" too.

boo hoo for you then.

For me, I like my nVidia cards (now that they work on my computers.. curses nVidia cards on old Athlon boards!) Whether they are open source or not, these cards perform very well in Linux and right now they are the only company that officially supports Linux with their video boards. I can't complain about this!

Why does every thread about nVidia drivers have to degrade into a "I'm going to switch to ATI!!!" "I can't believe how much nVidia sucks!!!"

The guy that posted the thing about APM not being supported, and saying "Screw you!" is a jackass. If the only reason he purchased that notebook was because of nVidia drivers for Linux, he should have RESEARCHED IT and found that APM on his notebook was NOT SUPPORTED!! (yet)
cbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 11:50 PM   #102
cservin

Andy: I have 1.32 final.

Thanks for the info that it is working for you I will try to figure it out and if I don't have any luck I will revert to 4191.
cservin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 11:53 PM   #103
Fragger

Send a message via ICQ to Fragger
Arrow typing mistake - X-Server crash with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Quote:
Originally posted by cbreaker
You know that CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE are the right keys, not CTRL-ALT-DEL?

Just making sure =)
You are right - it was late in the night

Does anyone has the problem when restarting the X-Server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. My X-Server crashes after reinitialising the graphics card and only a reset will work A blank screen instead of the login-manager (kdm) appears.

System: SuSE 8.0, Kernel 2.4.20 (make oldconfig) with XFree 4.2 on a Athlon XP 1700+/ECS K7S5A and a G-Force 4 TI 4600.

With 3123 no problems at all...
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:27 AM   #104
adnans
Geforce FX5200Go

Quote:
Andy: I have 1.32 final.

Thanks for the info that it is working for you I will try to figure it out and if I don't have any luck I will revert to 4191.
You really need 1.32b (which is currently the final).

Download example:

ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/idsoft...-1.32b.x86.run
adnans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-03, 12:27 AM   #105
cbreaker

No, it works okay for me. But, I did have all sorts of problems when using dual-head (CRT and TV) and stopping the X server. (sometimes it would lock up the system.) Never a problem with restarting the X server with the hotkey.

What Linux are you running anyways? Kernel version?

Not to say it's okay that there's bugs like this that you're experiencing, but I imagine it difficult to write high performance graphics drivers for Linux. Overall I'm quite happy with the nVidia drivers, and all I can say is that I hope (and would think) your problem would be fixed in a later release.
Old 04-02-03, 12:38 AM   #106
phorsaken

Default Lockups

Here's what I have:

Slackware 9 (Fresh Install)
AMD Thunderbird 1200
Abit KT7A MB
128MB Mem

Viper 770 (Non Ultra) 32MB AGP

Using KDE Desktop

Installed Slackware 9, installed 1.0-4349 Drivers. (Yes installer works in Slack9) Anyway, Everything installs without any errors and I can start the X server, but when I open a browser and goto say linuxgames.com or anywhere else the system locks. Looking at the screensavers section, clikcing on 2d screensavers and previewing them is fine, click on any GL screensavers and the system locks again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
phorsaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:42 AM   #107
RUSTY

Hey guys can you tell more about those options such as NvAGP and RenderAccel and so on. Can I use them on Geforce 4 TI 4200 and if I can please give me some example ?

By the way, the new drivers worked just fine for me.

Thanks.
RUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:46 AM   #108
cbreaker

If the system locks when doing GL stuff, it could be that the GLX components weren't installed properly. Check your Xfree logs and look for any warning/messages pertaining to GLX.

You could try installing the nvidia drivers "manually" by using the --extract-only switch, and then going into the new folder and typing "make install". This will do the same thing as the installer, but you could watch for any errors.

The installer will work on any distribution BTW; even the so called "tweaked" ones. I run Gentoo and they installed without any problems.

Try running glxgears and see if that also hangs your system. On my machine, when I go to screensavers and run a GL one, I have a strange 10-15 second pause before they appear. I only get the pause on screensavers, everything else GL works okay.