Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-03, 07:03 PM   #101
cbreaker

Quote:
Originally posted by pkzln89
I I think ATI's policy is that they don't
really support Linux, but they don't stand in the
way of people who volunteer to write drivers
for ATI, and provide them with the necessary information.
You would be quite incorrect about this. They don't provide detailed information about their chips. And the ATI drivers are "closed source" too.

boo hoo for you then.

For me, I like my nVidia cards (now that they work on my computers.. curses nVidia cards on old Athlon boards!) Whether they are open source or not, these cards perform very well in Linux and right now they are the only company that officially supports Linux with their video boards. I can't complain about this!

Why does every thread about nVidia drivers have to degrade into a "I'm going to switch to ATI!!!" "I can't believe how much nVidia sucks!!!"

The guy that posted the thing about APM not being supported, and saying "Screw you!" is a jackass. If the only reason he purchased that notebook was because of nVidia drivers for Linux, he should have RESEARCHED IT and found that APM on his notebook was NOT SUPPORTED!! (yet)
cbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 11:50 PM   #102
cservin

Andy: I have 1.32 final.

Thanks for the info that it is working for you I will try to figure it out and if I don't have any luck I will revert to 4191.
cservin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 11:53 PM   #103
Fragger

Send a message via ICQ to Fragger
Arrow typing mistake - X-Server crash with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Quote:
Originally posted by cbreaker
You know that CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE are the right keys, not CTRL-ALT-DEL?

Just making sure =)
You are right - it was late in the night

Does anyone has the problem when restarting the X-Server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. My X-Server crashes after reinitialising the graphics card and only a reset will work A blank screen instead of the login-manager (kdm) appears.

System: SuSE 8.0, Kernel 2.4.20 (make oldconfig) with XFree 4.2 on a Athlon XP 1700+/ECS K7S5A and a G-Force 4 TI 4600.

With 3123 no problems at all...
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:27 AM   #104
adnans
Geforce FX5200Go

Quote:
Andy: I have 1.32 final.

Thanks for the info that it is working for you I will try to figure it out and if I don't have any luck I will revert to 4191.
You really need 1.32b (which is currently the final).

Download example:

ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/idsoft...-1.32b.x86.run
adnans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-03, 12:27 AM   #105
cbreaker

No, it works okay for me. But, I did have all sorts of problems when using dual-head (CRT and TV) and stopping the X server. (sometimes it would lock up the system.) Never a problem with restarting the X server with the hotkey.

What Linux are you running anyways? Kernel version?

Not to say it's okay that there's bugs like this that you're experiencing, but I imagine it difficult to write high performance graphics drivers for Linux. Overall I'm quite happy with the nVidia drivers, and all I can say is that I hope (and would think) your problem would be fixed in a later release.
Old 04-02-03, 12:38 AM   #106
phorsaken

Default Lockups

Here's what I have:

Slackware 9 (Fresh Install)
AMD Thunderbird 1200
Abit KT7A MB
128MB Mem

Viper 770 (Non Ultra) 32MB AGP

Using KDE Desktop

Installed Slackware 9, installed 1.0-4349 Drivers. (Yes installer works in Slack9) Anyway, Everything installs without any errors and I can start the X server, but when I open a browser and goto say linuxgames.com or anywhere else the system locks. Looking at the screensavers section, clikcing on 2d screensavers and previewing them is fine, click on any GL screensavers and the system locks again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
phorsaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:42 AM   #107
RUSTY

Hey guys can you tell more about those options such as NvAGP and RenderAccel and so on. Can I use them on Geforce 4 TI 4200 and if I can please give me some example ?

By the way, the new drivers worked just fine for me.

Thanks.
RUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:46 AM   #108
cbreaker

If the system locks when doing GL stuff, it could be that the GLX components weren't installed properly. Check your Xfree logs and look for any warning/messages pertaining to GLX.

You could try installing the nvidia drivers "manually" by using the --extract-only switch, and then going into the new folder and typing "make install". This will do the same thing as the installer, but you could watch for any errors.

The installer will work on any distribution BTW; even the so called "tweaked" ones. I run Gentoo and they installed without any problems.

Try running glxgears and see if that also hangs your system. On my machine, when I go to screensavers and run a GL one, I have a strange 10-15 second pause before they appear. I only get the pause on screensavers, everything else GL works okay.
Old 04-02-03, 12:57 AM   #109
phorsaken

Default re: lockups

I've tried both ways, using installer and extracting. Both ways install flawlessly. No errors listed in the XFree86.0.log file. I have read somewhere (too many windows to keep track) that it may be my MB chipset causing the problems. I'll check that also. Unless there are other options I'll post what I find when I finally get it working.
Old 04-02-03, 01:08 AM   #110
Andy Mecham
l33t master

RUSTY: Options are discussed in the README.

--andy
Old 04-02-03, 01:12 AM   #111
phorsaken

Default re:lockups

For now, apparently disabling 4x agp in the bios and going with 2x solves the lockups. I'm sure it's board related, will post a fix for this board/chipset when I get it fixed.
Old 04-02-03, 01:38 AM   #112
cbreaker

Yea...

That sucks. I was a lucky one; with the GeForce 4600 in Windows, the machine was terrible. I mean, it would lockup on the damned desktop. Changing AGP to 2x didn't fix it. I installed all the "4-in-1" crap that NEVER fixes anything.

It's an older VIA board, with an AthlonXP chip in it. It's a 1700+, but it only runs at 1100Mhz because the board doesn't support 133Mhz bus. It was TERRIBLE with the GeForce cards. Always was. (The newer boards like in my 2200+ run the cards just fine in any OS.)

However, Linux runs the thing stable at AGP 4x, never locks up, runs games for hours and hours with no problems. Amazing. Who knows.

Fortunately for you switching to AGP 2x doesn't kill performance THAT much, and almost none if it's not a Ti/FX board.
Old 04-02-03, 08:58 AM   #113
bahamot

Default ti1800SE, helpp X-window crashed!!

with new driver, whenever changing from X-window into console, either CTRL-ATL-x or reboot/halt the whole system is crashed, and it screwed up my mdk9.1 files, so i need to re-install my system again
anyone have any ideas??
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:09 PM   #114
Andy Mecham
l33t master

bahamot: please start a new thread about your problem. It's very difficult to track problems and solutions in a long thread like this one.

--andy
Old 04-02-03, 12:12 PM   #115
chazmati
ABit Siluro GF4 Ti4200

Default Re: Re: Re: Still no good

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Actually, that's exactly what they want other companies to do. What with release cycles of six months to a year, this is the kind of thing you want your competition to do. Considering that the time it takes to reverse-engineer a card's features knowing only the full driver source is (at a guess) at minimum six to eight months, that's 6 to 8 months that nVidia has a jump on their competition. They can then use that time to make their own chips better.

While the competition is doing nothing but playing catch-up.
Uh, I would think NVIDIA would prefer their competition has no help at all when it comes to reverse-engineering and catching up.
chazmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 12:46 PM   #116
bwkaz

So you think that having the full sources for a driver gives a clue how the cards work? Bzzt, wrong, sorry (at least from what I understand).

All it does is tells you which register locations to write to to get a certain result. The driver source contains nothing along the lines of "OK, this is how we laid out this part of the chip, to make this triangle pipeline faster". The drivers simply don't care -- all they do is write to certain registers and/or memory locations to get certain things done.

If the competition gets the full source for the driver, it won't help them clone the hardware. But my main point is that even if it did, it'd still take six to eight months to do it -- by which time nVidia's next generation cards will probably be out, or at least close to it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-03, 02:34 PM   #117
mrgplg61

Question little problem...

my system is an asus p4pe + gf4200 palit

installed 4349, great result!, bu with one little problem:

If I have the svga cable connectd on tv at boot time I can see the console on monitor AND on tv, but after X started I cna't return on console (black screen on monitor and blurry screen on tv), if the svga cable isn't connected all is ok.
Is there an option to avoid this problem?

P.S. if Your system lock starting X check if the borad is properly inserted, Mine was not and X locked the system with a black screen wit any version of the driver.
mrgplg61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 03:38 PM   #118
dami0n

Default discovered my lock-up problem

it seems that 4349 drivers have the same problem for me that the 4191 drivers did. that is: complete lock-ups when using GTK applications (does this use 2D acceleration?).

However, this was running at AGP 2x, which my mobo and card should support (but i was forcing, since it automatically defaulted to 1x)
So now, I've forced it back to 1x, and it seems quite stable again.

works fine with either AGPGART and NVAGP at 1x.
AGPGART at 2x will run openGL apps, but GTK stuff is unstable.
NVAGP at 2x won't even start X - X logs report everything OK, but there's never nvidia splash screen.

Mobo: MSI K7Pro MS-6195 (irongate)
Vid: GeForce2 GTS

hopefully that's of some use.
dami0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 03:46 PM   #119
Andy Mecham
l33t master

dami0n: From the README:

o Irongate Chip sets with AGP 1x
AGP 1x transfers are used on Athlon motherboards with the Irongate
chip set to work around a problem with the signal integrity of
the chip set.

Because of this chipset integrity problem, it's not recommended to run at 2x, as you've seen with your instability.

--andy
Old 04-02-03, 04:26 PM   #120
dami0n

wow. a new section of the README i've never seen before.
don't I feel like an idiot.

i guess i could've been running 4191 drivers since dec.

thanks.
dami0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 07:34 PM   #121
ninjachinchilla

I have an nForce2 and am using the IGP. The drivers initially didn't work on reboot...until i added "nvidia" to /etc/modules. Then it worked fine. Can someone tell me why the alias in /etc/modules.conf doesn't work but using the /etc/modules does? I am a newbie...thanks!
ninjachinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 07:58 PM   #122
ninjachinchilla

To be more clear...the drivers don't work if i just have "alias major-char-195 nvidia" in /etc/modules.conf...then i get an 'unable to load nvidia kernel modules' error.
Old 04-02-03, 08:38 PM   #123
ninjachinchilla

sorry to keep on posting...when i have 'alias major-char-195' in /etc/modules.conf, but nothing in /etc/modules, i can manually 'modprobe nvidia' and the drivers will work. This just really confuses me because the README said to insert 'alias major...' to fix the driver not loading dynamically problem....any insight would be greatly appreciated....
Old 04-02-03, 09:21 PM   #124
bwkaz

You use Debian, right? Debian doesn't use the /etc/modules.conf aliases file, it uses a static list of modules to load (/etc/modules) instead. I believe (though I could be wrong) that Mandrake also has this /etc/modules file, but that aliases do work in Mandrake.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 09:28 PM   #125
ninjachinchilla

I just found the answer while reading other posts (i think) - alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia should work. will try now...