Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-03, 11:11 PM   #176
M3Freak

I have the download (RH9 ISOs) version.

Well, after following the tip, X is no longer locking up, so I would say that forcing the TLS option (new) IS necessary.

BTW, it wasn't a config problem.. When the problems originally started, I decided to reinstall RH9. X stopped locking up (when I used OpenOffice), so I installed the nVidia binary drivers. When I tried running OpenOffice after installing the drivers, X locked up again. I then changed my XFree config file to use the "nv" driver provided by XFree. X stopped locking after I loaded OpenOffice.

I'm quite certain that the X problems I have exerpienced were the caused by the nvidia binary drivers. Forcing the TLS option has fixed those problems (as does not using the binary driver).
M3Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-03, 09:06 AM   #177
bwkaz

Default Re: The link to the Drivers is dead.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Seminole
The object you requested was not available. Either it no longer exists on our database, or you do not have the proper permissions to view it.
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li..._ia32_1.0-4349

doesn't work? It works for me...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 09:08 AM   #178
Seminole

EDIT: That's better, appears the link is fixed.

Thanks!!
Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 12:10 PM   #179
auberge

Default ALI 1541

I added the extra option

Option "NvAgp" "0"

in Xf86config-4. The new result is

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: AGPGART (inactive)
AGP Rate: 2x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled

But still Tuxracer and chromium crash, although it takes a little longer before chromium crashes. Are the any options left to get a stable system?
auberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 12:50 PM   #180
smileyxx

Send a message via ICQ to smileyxx
Default RedHat

RH is known for using bleeding-edge X patches, this could be at fault. I can say that Mandrake 9.1 works flawlessly (after my previous mistake), including OpenOffice and some heavy OpenGL apps and games.
smileyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 02:54 PM   #181
srelysian

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had a problem with the newest nvidia drivers when exiting any X gui. The drivers work great when x boots, I even noticed speed increases, but when I exit it goes into a res beyond what my monitor can handle (and outside the specs i provided for my monitor in XF86Config-4). So I have to blindly run kde again.
My card is listed as supported: eVGA GF4 MX440-SE (agp), tho it's got dual vga out so I was wondering if that might cause it.

I am using XFree86 4.3 and can provide any information if needed, so long as i am given the information on what to do to obtain it (I still consider myself novice with linux).

My thoughts were that, since I didn't supply info for both vga outputs it might be confused. I am only using the basic setup now driver "nvidia" and glx.
srelysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 04:29 PM   #182
bwkaz

Couple of things to look at:

1) Is anything plugged in to more than one output on that card? If so, then the VESA driver (for framebuffer consoles) might very well be using the other head, like you suspect. However, if there's nothing hooked up, then I don't think it does this -- though I could be wrong.

2) Are you using a framebuffer console, or a normal 80x25 resolution? Try switching between them, and see if that helps. To get a non-FB console, pass vga=none to your kernel at boot time, and to get a framebuffer one, pass vga=788 (for 1024x768, which is pretty widely supported). You can also try vga=ask.
Old 04-14-03, 05:19 PM   #183
CrLf
Linux Power!

Default Re: Re: KT400

Quote:
Originally posted by CrLf
Do you mean support for the KT400 in AGP 2.0 or APG 3.0 mode (8x). I thought AGP 3.0 was only supported in 2.5.x.
I now have AGP 8x on a KT400 based motherboard (Asus A7V8X) working (apparently) just fine after using NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 and NvAGP=1. Way to go NVIDIA!
CrLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-03, 05:26 PM   #184
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Awesome! Let me know if you run into any problems with that workaround.

--andy
Old 04-14-03, 05:35 PM   #185
srelysian

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Couple of things to look at:

1) Is anything plugged in to more than one output on that card? If so, then the VESA driver (for framebuffer consoles) might very well be using the other head, like you suspect. However, if there's nothing hooked up, then I don't think it does this -- though I could be wrong.

2) Are you using a framebuffer console, or a normal 80x25 resolution? Try switching between them, and see if that helps. To get a non-FB console, pass vga=none to your kernel at boot time, and to get a framebuffer one, pass vga=788 (for 1024x768, which is pretty widely supported). You can also try vga=ask.
Here's what i managed to gather so far, I attempted what you said and got no change. Apparenty this problem is driver based because it even managed to anger the orignal NV generic driver.

I just gave it another shot, first thing i noticed with the driver is that my X fonts seem to increase in size, not configuration based either. They just triple in size. When I dropped out of KDE my monitor gave an out of frequency error, the driver apparently tried to push my monitor to fh 74.9kHz / fv 166Hz. My monitor can't go past 150Hz (as I specified in my conf). So I went back into kde, popped open Konsole and changed the driver back to nv, and attempted to restart kde to find that my startup sound worked but it didn't restore my refresh rate. So i was forced to completely reboot to fix it.

I am afraid to say this, but I am fresh out of ideas, I may be forced to use the generic drivers until nvidia releases a new set, then hope those work.
Old 04-14-03, 11:14 PM   #186
puterguy

Default Still get jaggies when driving digital display at full screen size...

Just upgraded to 4349... love the new installer.

However, I noted that nvidia still hasn't fixed the "jaggies" problem when playing a video back at full screen size on a digital screen at vertical refreshes different from 60 (see below for a copy of the original bug report...)

This means that to eliminate the jaggies, I need to fix my vertical refresh at 60Hz which is significantly below the 75Hz capability of my Viewsonic VG171 monitor.

Any thoughts on when this might be fixed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Copy of bug report submitted back in January]

I have submitted the following summary bug report to: linux-bugs@nvidia.com:

I have a GF4 4600 (Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO) running under RedHat 8.0 with kernel 2.4.20. I am using the 4191 Linux driver.

When I play a video (of any format) at full-screen, the scaling
suffers from a pattern of interleaved black lines that ruin the
picture, making it look distorted with jagged edges and blurry.

Specifically, looking closely at the screen, it seems that instead of
properly scaling the picture, 1 pixel thin horizontal black lines are
interleaved between every few original image lines in a regular
pattern. It looks somewhat like this (where even between the
closest-spaced black lines, there are perhap 5 or 6 normal image
lines):

------------------------------------

etc.

The effect is worse at full-screen than at double-screen. The result
is that the picture looks very jagged and blurry and thus is almost
impossible to view.

I have initiated a thread on this on the nVidia bulletin board
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/sho...=&threadid=6177), which has led to the following interesting observations.

1. The problem is independent of type of video or of video player
(this suggests that it is likely an X-server/driver problem)

2. If you begin with a normal size frame and gradually stretch the
picture, the black line effect suddenly appears when the picture gets to be about 3/4 the size of my 1280x1024 screen

3. The problem only occurs at some resolutions. In fact if you switch the X-server resolutions while the video is running
(ctl-alt-backspace) the "jaggie" effect comes and goes depending on the resolution. Specifically,
1280x1024: jaggies
1280x960: no jaggies
1152x864: no jaggies
1024x768: jaggies
800x600: jaggies
640x480: jaggies

4. INTERESTINGLY, if you start another video first and then start a
second video while the first one is still playing, then you can go to
full-screen without any jaggies. The picture remains good even after the first video completes. (Is it possible that the first video uses haredware scaling while the second uses software scaling???)

5. The problem resolves if I fix the vertical resolution at 60 Hz
(i.e., VertRefresh 60.0), but persists if I use the monitor
specifications of: VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0 (this suggests maybe a
synchronization problem with the video frame rate???) [Note I have a digital LCD monitor]

6. Using different values for NvAGP has no effect

7. Using x11 vs. xv drivers has no effect

8. I have not had any other problems with the nVidia driver under RH Linux, including with games such as Quake

9. I think (but am not sure) that it worked ok under the 3123
driver. I have however not been able to downgrade to check it again.

So, in summary it seems to be something wrong with scaling that causes the problem that somehow is dependent on the screen resolution, vertical refresh rate, and whether or not another video is already running.

Any suggestions on what might be going on here?
I am stumped and frustrated?

Note that I am not satisfied with keeping the VertRefresh at 60, since I want to get the full 75Hz refresh performance of my monitor

Other details of my configuration include:
RH8.0/Linux 2.4.20
nVidea driver: 1.0-4191
Asus P4PE motherboard
Intel P4 2.53GHz
2 x 512 MB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
Viewsonic VG171 17" Flat Panel
Antec 400W PS

XF86Config file includes the following excerpts
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
VideoRam 131072
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "DigitalVibrance" "2"
Option "CursorShadow" "1"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Intel P4 2.53GHz
2 x 512 MB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Viewsonic VG171 17" Flat Panel
Antec 400W PS
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 12:24 PM   #187
srelysian

Hey, anyone have the info on how to submit driver questions/problems to nvidia? I found something interesting today I was curious about:

My Card is an e-GeForce 4 MX 440-SE (Dual VGA) now, being SE it's ID 'should' be 0x0173 yet:

Bus 1, device 5, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: PCI device 10de:0171 (nVidia Corporation) (rev 163).

.. as you can see it's reporting 0x0171 signifying a non-SE card. So now I am wondering wether the SE on my package is just tacked on for "l33tness factor" or if it's actually an SE card. Not that I would complain: the SE actually has slightly lower specs according to http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4mx

At any rate, I guess I will have to keep trying, I got a diff` copy of the drivers via debian's unstable section, gonna see if i can get those working with hope of improvement.
Old 04-16-03, 12:37 PM   #188
Andy Mecham
l33t master

linux-bugs@nvidia.com

--andy

Old 04-17-03, 11:41 AM   #189
gveiga

Default Where did all the colors go?

I have GeForce2 Go with 16M in a Dell Inspiron 8100 wirh 1the 1400x1050 LCD.

THe newest NVDIA drivers swork but I do not get the promissed 24bit color - It looks like 256.

I just upgraded to RH9. Under RH8, it worked fine with driver version 1.0-3123
but not with newer ones (4191 and 4349).

Under RH9, I swiched the stock nv server, which now works. Is there an to go back to the nvidia drivers?
gveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 01:09 AM   #190
Dwaine

Default Only one bug on my machine

The latest drivers are great. One note to people. Most locks up are related to the motherboard and their power for the AGP port.

I switched motherboards and everything is mint.

Anyway, with the latest version of the nvidia drivers. I did find one bug. Here it is.

I noticed a small bug.

(**) NVIDIA(0): enabling cursor shadow

should be the following:

(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling cursor shadow

I have submitted an e-mail to report the bug.

I expect this bug to fixed in the next release.

Dwaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-03, 11:51 PM   #191
bjlockie

Default Re: Problems with GF2 Go and Mandrake 9.1

Quote:
Originally posted by Howloweener
Just installed the new drivers on my Dell Inspiron 8100 w/ Geforce2 go and Mandrake 9.1. The news isn't good, I have a hoard of flickering lines down the left side of my display. The installer is sweet, but I guess I'll get to use the uninstall feature

Time to go compile some .4191's
(strangely they worked great for me...)
Does the nv driver work for you?
bjlockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 12:19 AM   #192
Jayce

Send a message via ICQ to Jayce Send a message via AIM to Jayce Send a message via Yahoo to Jayce

Quote:
Originally posted by Arturo Bandini
Just installed the 4339 drivers and everithing is running ok here. Just a problem, I can't change X resolution anymore with Ctrl-Alt + and Ctrl-Alt -
A ditto on this one, while in twinview mode, I can't change resolutions. Strip it down to a single monitor, that works fine.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 02:07 PM   #193
320mb
refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by g.krist
This generic setup looks very cool, so now even linux n00bs can install it
I've never had probs installing the main dvr, the kernel module always works, the GLX keeps giving me the same crap,
Klib extension not found on display 0.0.blah blah, if I could find out what Klib is I would fix it! 8 months of this Klib stuff is getting old now.
320mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 02:42 PM   #194
bwkaz

Xlib is what every X program (eventually) binds to -- it's what makes all the X11R6 requests across the network to the X server.

Try 4363, first of all. If that doesn't help, post the full results of whatever you get when you try to run glxgears (if it does run, ctrl-c it after a short time).
Old 04-26-03, 02:48 PM   #195
ndee

Send a message via ICQ to ndee
Thumbs down sniff.....

Hi Andy,

the new driver does on my laptop the same as the old one.

Nothing solved from my thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=10215

Is there a chance, that I get it working with TwinView and without getting my display almost exploding when leaving X. The driver does not switch back from 1400x1050 to 1280x1024 with a proper resolution.

NDEE
ndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 11:03 PM   #196
Dwaine

Quote:
Originally posted by srelysian
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had a problem with the newest nvidia drivers when exiting any X gui. The drivers work great when x boots, I even noticed speed increases, but when I exit it goes into a res beyond what my monitor can handle (and outside the specs i provided for my monitor in XF86Config-4). So I have to blindly run kde again.
My card is listed as supported: eVGA GF4 MX440-SE (agp), tho it's got dual vga out so I was wondering if that might cause it.

I am using XFree86 4.3 and can provide any information if needed, so long as i am given the information on what to do to obtain it (I still consider myself novice with linux).

My thoughts were that, since I didn't supply info for both vga outputs it might be confused. I am only using the basic setup now driver "nvidia" and glx.

I noticed that when I compiled the kernel code that came with RedHat v9.0 that when I exit X it leaves me with a blank screen.

When I boot with the defaulted compiled kernel image. It works without a single problem. Remember, RH does not have binary compatibility with the source code shipped with their products. If you compile the kernel source. It will be different than the compiled version from the cd.
Dwaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-03, 04:04 AM   #197
Riddler

The link dosent seem to work
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote