Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Should I buy Resident Evil 4 for Wii or PC?
Wii 17 70.83%
PC 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-07, 11:33 AM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Should I buy Resident Evil 4 for Wii or PC?

I'm buying Resident Evil 4 this weekend. Resident Evil 1 is one of my favorite games ever. I have not played ANY of the other Resident Evil games. This will be my coming back to the series.

I can't decide whether to get it for the Wii or the PC. I'm not sure how much the Wiimote will make the game more fun. I do know that the PC version will look a HELL of alot better, but thats about it.

Vote now
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 11:38 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Should I buy Resident Evil 4 for Wii or PC?

Wii because it does something different... PC one requires tons of mods to be enjoyable and playable.
Old 06-21-07, 11:40 AM   #3
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Err.. why not Gamecube?
Old 06-21-07, 11:44 AM   #4
Sectus

Well, as I see, there are the pros of each version (note, I haven't tried the Wii version, but I have tried the Gamecube version which I assume is identical except for the new controls and the new Ada missions (which the PS2 and PC versions has anyway)).

PC version:
-Extremely fast loading
-Crisp and clear graphics thanks to high resolution support
-Some slight modding capabilities (people have created better-texture mods and mods enabling mouse support)

Wii version:
-Improved lighting and some more special effects than the PC version
-Aiming via Wiimote (although I've heard lots of conflicting reports about how actually good the aiming is... but at least you can fall back to using a Gamecube controller for classic controls)

So, well, there's a short summary. Overall, I don't think the differences are that big, so I think you should just go for whichever platform you're most comfortable playing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Wii because it does something different... PC one requires tons of mods to be enjoyable and playable.
Tons of mods? I played through the PC vesion using absolutely no mods whatsoever. I can understand some people will get the mouse mod since they prefer playing with a mouse. But I don't quite see how 1 mod is the same as tons of mods.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 11:51 AM   #5
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Man Tyger... you blow... get RE2 NAOW! That is the best in the series... can't believe you!
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 12:40 PM   #6
Destroy

Wii cause it has proper mouse(remote) aim support while the PC version I guess they couldn't figure out how to do it for some strange reason.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 12:57 PM   #7
HiCZoK4

pc version is good with 1.1 patch but wii is differnet with that wiimote
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 12:59 PM   #8
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Man Tyger... you blow... get RE2 NAOW! That is the best in the series... can't believe you!
Wasn't that for PS2?

My last "real" console was the N64. I bought a PS2 upon release and sold it shortly after. I LOVED RE1 for PS1 though.

Old 06-21-07, 01:05 PM   #9
ynnek

The us version is already "1.1" out of the box.

The game is meant to be played with a controller, for better or for worse. If you are going to play it on PC, better have a controller thats the equiv of a PS2 controller. I actually use a PS2 controller with an adapter, and mapping the buttons works perfectly.

If you already have a Wii, I'd say get the Wii version.. because the Wii controls might make this game a bit more interesting than the other versions.

I'm plaiyng the PC version with on mods either. I guess the mod to label the buttons other than 1 2 3 4 etc would be nice. Also, I hear there are mods for improved env textures and better cutscene quality(they originally weren't made in consideration of the higher rez of computer monitors) But its still enjoyable and playable.. But then again, my expectation of this port for a game thats year old for $20 wasn't very high. Its still IMO better than the PS2 and Gamecube version.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 01:30 PM   #10
Sectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Wasn't that for PS2?

My last "real" console was the N64. I bought a PS2 upon release and sold it shortly after. I LOVED RE1 for PS1 though.
RE1, 2 and 3 were made for the PS1. The only RE games made exclusively for the PS2 were 2 gun survivor games (which were crappy) and 2 Outbreak games (which were semi-crappy).

RE2 is ungodly popular in the RE community and unfortunately I can't understand why. To me, it was basically the same game as RE1 only with a cheesier storyline and the action<->survival ratio shifted more to the action side. In my opinion, RE4 is the DEFINITE best game in the series, it kicks the ass of every RE game which came before it.

I have to agree with ynnek, RE4 is best played with a gamepad. The game uses an erratic aiming system which just "feels" natural with a gamepad, and using a mouse would probably make the game too easy.

I haven't played the Wii version, but for a newcomer to the game I think I'd recommend to have it played as it was meant to be played, which is with a gamepad. Using the Wiimote might be a gamble since it was not originally meant to played that way, and there's conflicting reports about how well it works (eurogamer, for instance, claims the Wii version is destroyed because the Wiimote controls are awful)
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:38 PM   #11
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Rent the Wii version and then decide.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 03:04 PM   #12
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stncttr908
Rent the Wii version and then decide.
Renting the game is like $9 bucks. May as well buy it because of how cheap it is.