Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-10, 06:17 PM   #1
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Unhappy PS3 Yellow light of Death

So my PS3 just got the Yellow light of death. ::

Was playing Heavy Rain demo. It just went off, and when i tried to restart the system, I get a few seconds of green LED, then a flash of yellow then red flashing. At the time I was relived thinking I had a exyended 2 year warranty with EB. Turns out it's not the case. I bought the system June 2007, with a 2 year Extended Warranty, turns out unlike most extended warranties which start AFTER the manufactures, EBs start from the date of purchase... So it expired in 2009. Looks like I'll be sending it back for repair and the 150-200AUD repair fee.

I hope they can fix it, or replace with another 60Gb model, don't want to lose my PS2 backwards compatibility...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 06:58 PM   #2
Lyme

Default Re: PS3 Yellow light of Death

If your good with electronics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3HMykBcVhs
The method that they use fixes the same issue on the 360. The cause is that one or more of the chips had it's soder loosen, and the system fails. The soder they use these days softens at a much lower temperature due to the lack of lead, which was phased out around that time because of it's toxicity.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 07:00 PM   #3
Yaboze

Was it vertical? I have mine horizontal.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 07:26 PM   #4
|MaguS|

wait, their 2 year extended warranty overlaps with the standard 1yr? Thats bull...
Old 02-20-10, 09:10 PM   #5
crainger

I know. Apparently it takes the place of Sony's send it to us and repair warranty with a replace on the spot warranty. Was not happy, will talk to manager as he sold it to me in 07 and I thought he said it takes place after manufacturer. Nevermind. It's no big deal except we lose the ability to watch BDs for a month or so.

PS3 was horizontal, we have just moved house however. PS3 traveled with me in it's carry case. As for fixing it myself. I saw the heat gun fixes and while I used to fix Laptop and the like a few years back as a PC tech. I'd rather just pay the money and let a professional do a proper job. I spoke to a guy who fixes PS3s unofficially and he said in his experience. The whole board needs to be replaced otherwise the problems come back 90% after a short while.
Old 02-21-10, 02:00 AM   #6
HiCZoK4

sad to hear this. Wish You luck with getting it back Crainger
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 02:17 AM   #7
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

No matter what it is it always seem to give out a day after the warranty is up. I had a riding lawn mower that was great it had a 5 year warranty on it, a day after the warranty was up it messed up. I ended up just buying a new one, because the lawn mower was five years old, but the point is this has happened with everything I ever owned. I had an OCZ ModStream PSU, gave 3 days after the warranty had expired. Shoot I even bought a pet frog from petsmart one time for my kids, it had a 14 day warranty on it, if it died you bring it back and get a new one with, you did have to bring the body to show it was dead, and you had to have your receipt, it died on the 15th day.
Old 02-21-10, 03:30 AM   #8
HiCZoK4

Gulizard you must be really out of luck everything is dying on you
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-10, 05:51 AM   #9
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

U will most likely get a refurbished unit that has been repaired if its the 60gb.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 10:39 AM   #10
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Sorry to hear that crainger. If you lived in the states I'd sell you mine. I no longer play PS2 games and want one of the quieter slims since the way my rooms setup I can hear the fan more than I'd like. Mines an original 60GB fully backwards compatible model too, should be able to sell it for a decent amount on ebay. Hope you get it worked out man.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 01:23 PM   #11
crainger

Calling teh Sony today. Hope there is a service centre close by for a short turn around. Can I backup my saves on PC? I have a feeling I'll have to send the HDD with it and I'll lose all my saves. Those saves are my life!
Old 02-21-10, 01:29 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Calling teh Sony today. Hope there is a service centre close by for a short turn around. Can I backup my saves on PC? I have a feeling I'll have to send the HDD with it and I'll lose all my saves. Those saves are my life!
I think you can keep the HD, if not then theres no way to back it up if your system isn't booting. Windows wont read the drive I believe.