Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-07, 05:27 PM   #13
Lyme

Default Re: The Darkness Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
Are you sure? Cause in the newest xbox magazine they interviewed the developers making the 360 version and the editor made a side note that riddick for xbox would never be added to the compatibility list, the only way to play riddick was through the new release on 360 with a few added effects and levels.
My comment was that riddick for the xbox (not 360) had good reviews, I did not intend to make anyone think that it came or was coming to the 360.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 06:31 PM   #14
3DBrad

They're making a version of Riddick for the 360, but you can still play the older Xbox version of it on your 360, but it's not the newer Riddick. Riddick (the PC version) came with my 7800gtx when I bought it, too bad it has such foul language.
Old 06-24-07, 12:49 PM   #15
LurkerLito

FYI if you have a Circuit City store near you and are planning on getting the Darkness game it is $49.99 for the 360 or ps3 versions. I am on the fence about the game but I just might just pick it up for the PS3 for that price.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 12:50 PM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito
FYI if you have a Circuit City store near you and are planning on getting the Darkness game it is $49.99 for the 360 or ps3 versions. I am on the fence about the game but I just might just pick it up for the PS3 for that price.
Nice! Now wheres a close CC for me, lol.
Old 06-24-07, 01:12 PM   #17
Sectus

I've played about halfway through The Darkness so far. I can easily see this game becoming VERY popular. It probably could have been near to Gears of War popularity if it had a marketing monster behind it.

The game has a very very good cinematic presentation. People who liked playing something like Gears of War because it felt like a movie will love this game.

The shooting aspects themselves are very very generic and not that exciting, but what sets it apart are the darkness powers you get. You can crawl along floors as a little monster and stealth kill people (similar to the Alien vs Predator game), use a large tentacle to move items around and impale people (think Half-Life 2's gravity gun only really pointy and sharp) and summon 4 different type of minions to do your bidding (similar to Overlord, even though that game isn't released yet :P )

Minions are definitely my favourite. Their dialogue is great. For instance, shouting "I like penguins!" as you summon them (they can also randomly dress up in outfits you can find throughout the game), shout "Peace out! Peace out!" as they kill someone, or say "My regards to your family." as they lift their leg over a dead body and piss on it.

Another thing which is well done in this game are the atmospheric "adventure-ish" scene in the game. Think about how Half-Life and Prey starts, which lets you fool around doing random stuff and is basically just to set the mood. The Darkness has a good deal of scenes like that (and unlike Prey and Half-Life, they don't stop at the very start of the game), which works quite well, it even has a lucasarts-esque dialogue system.

They also went quite over the top with TVs in the game. There's actually full-length movies and TV shows you can watch on TVs in the game. I saw one TV and I was curious how long the FMV was on the TV (I was expecting it to loop after 10 seconds or so)... and I ended up watching the entire movie of To Kill a Mockingbird. There are also 2 channels with cartoons (such as Popeye), 2 channels with music videos, a sci-fi channel with Flash Gordon episodes and a channel showing an asian action movie called Street Fighter (not the movie based on the game). The only bad thing is that the video quality is rather bad (quality-wise it's similar to youtube), but it's very impressive they bothered to add all that stuff in.

All in all, in the over-crowded FPS genre which is filled with clones this is definitely a notable highlight. I do think a game like Bioshock will end up being a lot more fun than this one, but when compared to other generic FPS games The Darkness is very good.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 12:39 PM   #18
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Well, I also think the lack of anything interesting hitting the system in a while will also pose well for the game, Darkness. I'm just dissapointed it's not using the UE3.0 engine, which means if I buy a game released this week, it will probably be hour of victory. I enjoyed the demo.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 12:47 PM   #19
Marvel_us
FOOL!

If it wasn't for NGS coming out next week I would pick this up. The guns I've seen in the vids so far just don't do it for me.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 12:58 PM   #20
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
Well, I also think the lack of anything interesting hitting the system in a while will also pose well for the game, Darkness. I'm just dissapointed it's not using the UE3.0 engine, which means if I buy a game released this week, it will probably be hour of victory. I enjoyed the demo.
Why does it matter if its using the UT3 engine? It looks good as is.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-07, 01:00 PM   #21
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
If it wasn't for NGS coming out next week I would pick this up. The guns I've seen in the vids so far just don't do it for me.
Don't be a loser... GET BOTH!

Called my gamestop and they said they should have it in tomorrow... sadly I have to work tomorrow night but then I get two days off... gonna be playing like crazy.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 01:02 PM   #22
|MaguS|

Im getting Darkness and Overlord this week, NG next week... man Im gonna be busy.
Old 06-25-07, 01:09 PM   #23
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Don't be a loser... GET BOTH!

Called my gamestop and they said they should have it in tomorrow... sadly I have to work tomorrow night but then I get two days off... gonna be playing like crazy.
Stupid $100+ Calculus book I need to buy for Wednesday....not happenin for me.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 02:09 PM   #24
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
Stupid $100+ Calculus book I need to buy for Wednesday....not happenin for me.
Who really NEEDS calculus? Come on.... lets be real here.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote