Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-07, 01:15 PM   #25
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Default Re: The Darkness Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Why does it matter if its using the UT3 engine? It looks good as is.
I didnt like the Riddick engine. It was too dark and doom 3-esque. If this is just an update to this engine as i've now been told, then I know I'll hate it. If it was a brand new engine or yes, the ue3.0 engine, Id give it a shot. But a recycled engine with a few added lighting effects and some updated textures all still in the dark atmosphere I hated in the original engine....i'll pass. Plus I also read it's extremely short.

Hour of Victory ironically is on the ue3.0 engine, not that I knew it when I played the demo. I just found the demo to be pretty fun, very arcadey, call of duty is fine and all, but it gets old, fast to me, this on the other hand had a gameplay-style that I wasnt sick of after playing the 3 missions in the demo.

I'm not a Unreal Engine junkie or anything, I just think right now, it's the most advanced engine out there, I am worried though, so many developers using the engine, I think in 2008/2009, a lot of games are gonna end up looking way too much alike. Kind of like back in 2001 when everyone under the sun was licensing the Quake 3 engine.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 01:15 PM   #26
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Who really NEEDS calculus? Come on.... lets be real here.
Oh man I love Calculus, All those late night study sessions just to find out its almost completly useless.
Old 06-25-07, 01:22 PM   #27
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
I didnt like the Riddick engine. It was too dark and doom 3-esque. If this is just an update to this engine as i've now been told, then I know I'll hate it. If it was a brand new engine or yes, the ue3.0 engine, Id give it a shot. But a recycled engine with a few added lighting effects and some updated textures all still in the dark atmosphere I hated in the original engine....i'll pass. Plus I also read it's extremely short.

Hour of Victory ironically is on the ue3.0 engine, not that I knew it when I played the demo. I just found the demo to be pretty fun, very arcadey, call of duty is fine and all, but it gets old, fast to me, this on the other hand had a gameplay-style that I wasnt sick of after playing the 3 missions in the demo.

I'm not a Unreal Engine junkie or anything, I just think right now, it's the most advanced engine out there, I am worried though, so many developers using the engine, I think in 2008/2009, a lot of games are gonna end up looking way too much alike. Kind of like back in 2001 when everyone under the sun was licensing the Quake 3 engine.
The game is called "The Darkness", I'd be disappointed if it wasn't dark like Riddick and Doom 3. Being in the dark is a primary gameplay element as well.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 01:31 PM   #28
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin

The engine has nothing to do with if a game is dark or not... its the developer and the game design that determins that. Riddick was dark because its a dark game/movie. For a man who can see in the dark you wouldn't want to be playing him in the daylight.

The engine also doesnt also determin if a game is fun... I found Roboblitz and Gears of War very boring and those are on your favorite UE3....
Old 06-25-07, 02:29 PM   #29
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

I didnt like the dark atmosphere the engine was priojecting...how's that?

I figuered "darkness" would be a dark game, but using a new engine, I figured while dark, it would still be viewable. That riddick engine was just a mess imo.

And I agree Roboblitz and Gears do suck. I'm not saying the engine makes the game but I'm not gonna lie, it is the first thing I look for. Gears looked decent but it was a tired old story told a million times and ended way too quickly.

All im saying is, and my original point is, darkness looked pretty ****ty to me and it's saving grace was " its using the new unreal engine" so once that was taken away, I have 0 interest in wasting my time or money. Hopefully it turns out to be fun and I insert foot in mouth. Just trying to explain myself. I dont base how good a game is on the engine, but the graphic engine IS usually what attracts me to the game. Now feel free to decipher that post anyway you may like. =) heh
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 02:55 PM   #30
Sectus

The Darkness does have a bit of the strong contrast between light and shadows as Riddick and Doom 3, but the game still looks great, especially with all the new lighting effects they've added. And darkness isn't completely dark in this game. If you're in your demonic form (which you'll be in 99% of the game), you will see a weird flowing glow to the entire world when it's dark... so you don't have to increase the brightness or anything to see the environment.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 12:16 PM   #31
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Eh...not so great review from IGN. They gave it a 7.8/10.

Lowest points were in the gameplay and lasting appeal categories.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/799/799368p1.html

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 01:12 PM   #32
christos

Quote:

If none of us bothered to learn Calculus, there would be no Unreal Engine, or for that fact, any modern 3d engine.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-07, 01:33 PM   #33
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos
If none of us bothered to learn Calculus, there would be no Unreal Engine, or for that fact, any modern 3d engine.
Some of the more interesting applications of Calculus when it comes to 3d applications.
Matrix math, including: rotations, transformations, and translations.
Quaternions.

It is also important to remember that matrix math is not transitive, unlike regular math which is.

ps: Calculus is also important in robotics and statistics.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 01:46 PM   #34
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Some of the more interesting applications of Calculus when it comes to 3d applications.
Matrix math, including: rotations, transformations, and translations.
Quaternions.

It is also important to remember that matrix math is not transitive, unlike regular math which is.

ps: Calculus is also important in robotics and statistics.
I learned about Matrices in Algebra 2 and Geometry... not Calc.
Old 06-26-07, 01:52 PM   #35
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

definitely one of the best next gen games to come out...everything in this game is top notch, story, gameplay,a tmosphere, sound, voice acting. Only things bad are multiplayer and length of single player.
Old 06-26-07, 07:38 PM   #36
|MaguS|

Game is pretty dam good, I went and got the PS3 version. It looks better then the screenshots and videos make you think. Textures are nice and sharp and theres no performance problems that I can see.

Would like to see a comparison of the two versions because from what I have seen (all media shown has been the X360 version) the game looks better then the previews, but that could be due to actually playing it rather then looking at things on my PC monitor.