Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-03, 04:25 AM   #13
suexec

ldimmu, I only regestered a few days ago for the same reason

I really hope the forum moderator can make a official response for nVidia about our questions. Some questions, nVidia can't answer...like the part on agpgart working, but nVidia does influence its outcome. The agpgart maintainer(s) can't do much if they don't have anything to work with.

The KT400a does appear to be better than KT400, but still doesn't compare up to the nForce2. Then again, there are rumours of a KT600. I wonder what enhancements it would have.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 04:49 AM   #14
mason

Andy and volt; is there anything we can do to help make this happen? i don't want merely to natter from the peanut gallery and give linux users a bad name. After all being proactive (in a calm and useful manner) is part of the philosophy behind the open source movement and linux.

i'm not much interested in games except as an occasional diversion, but i do manage approx. eight servers, all linux, and have a continuing interest in stable hardware with good bang for the dollar. i've been using linux as servers and routers for about nine years.

When Athlon64 hits the streets i expect AthlonXP will become good buys, that's when i'll be looking at replacing the guts to many of our boxes. --i already have an nForce2 motherboard on order, but so far am holding off on installing it.

m
mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 04:51 AM   #15
Kiamu

yepp, like suexec said:

Quote:
I have pretty much most things working except for the agp. AGP is an open standard so I assumed it would be supported by agpgart. Only after purchasing it and playing with it did I realize this was not the case.
and i am pretty disappointed by this. i do understand to have binary drivers for graphic cards. but trying the same for a mobo will fail utterly IMHO.
even the network card should be pretty much near the standard. why having a precompiled module there too?

well, i still have problems with the board (AOpen AK79D-1394) concerning memory timing (5-2-2-2) under heavy load. but i blame it on the bios. (need to update that one )
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 11:21 AM   #16
Idimmu

Hmm, everything I've read doesn't look to promising..

Well, the performance gain from upgrading from a 466 Celeron to a high end XP will be so high, any difference between a kt400 and nf2 chipset wouldn't really be noticed.

I think I've made my decision now
Idimmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 02:24 PM   #17
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Yes, we're aware of this, and we're looking into it. Unfortunately, I don't have a timeline for a solution right now - as soon as I do, i'll post it here.

--andy
Old 04-06-03, 03:09 PM   #18
mason

Hm. If this is like the other motherboard bits i've looked up then the AGPGART and APIC bits will hew pretty close to some published implementation. If that's so it won't be so difficult for the kernel guys to put in support for this chipset. Does that mean it's a political issue within the nVidia org, or perhaps a legal problem?

Anyway if there's anything we can do from the outside to help, let us know.

m
Old 04-07-03, 01:20 AM   #19
nitromullet

Quote:
Originally posted by Idimmu
Hmm, everything I've read doesn't look to promising..

Well, the performance gain from upgrading from a 466 Celeron to a high end XP will be so high, any difference between a kt400 and nf2 chipset wouldn't really be noticed.

I think I've made my decision now
I think that you are probably right in terms of your percieved performance, but there are other things to consider that make this whole issue more complicated.

First of all, if you are going to run a dual boot box, you will probably absolutely love an nForce2 based motherboard under Windows. The Sound Storm audio on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe is so good that I haven't bothered to re-install my SB Audigy. On top of this, the board is ROCK STABLE, which I can not say about the KT333 based mother board that it replaced. On the other hand, you have all of the issues mentioned previously in this forum under Linux. So, it is serioulsy a real problem that we AMD/Linux users are faced with in regards to this AGP/GART problem, and the responses from nVidia are not exactly informative.

I personally opted for the nForce2 based board because it offers an excellent price/feature/performance ratio. Also, nVidia has a pretty good track record for supporting Linux and I don't think that they will let us down, but only time will tell.

Just my two cents to help make your decision a bit more difficult

-nitromullet
nitromullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-03, 01:25 PM   #20
jcn

Default Re: nforce2 AGPgart and linux

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiamu
hi,

has anyone heard anything if nvidia will come up with a kernel module or support (open specs) for the linux apggart?

it is no fun having a fast card (ati) running as standard vga-card in X

greets

Kiamu
=======================================

The view from way down here

nvidia has a good name in my book. i bought this A7N8X Deluxe on blind faith(and reviews. ). i can't get my 9500 Pro to work but i will continue to keep the faith. i don't understand the reasoning for non-gpl but i guess there has to be a reason. just get it out as soon as it's stable.....Thanks nvidia
jcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-03, 03:27 AM   #21
mason

Quote:
Originally posted by suexec
I've not tried watching DVDs on Linux on the nForce2 system. I doubt that it will work since I can't even play MPEGs. It looks like without agpgart, XVideo extension doesn't work properly.
Forgot to ask: Good old 2D accel works, just like in a PCI graphics card, is that right?

m
Old 04-08-03, 08:59 PM   #22
suexec

Quote:
Originally posted by mason
Forgot to ask: Good old 2D accel works, just like in a PCI graphics card, is that right?

m
2D works fine. I haven't notice it snag. It felt snappier than in XP (with default drivers). Once I installed Catalyst drivers, it was fine.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 12:36 PM   #23
mason

Thanks suexec; sounds good.

i've had my cheapo nForce2 motherboard (the MSI no frills one, K7N2) for a couple days now and i've been trying to figure out if i should put it in or return it.

Well it's a pretty red colour.

-- i thot the Epox one would be cheaper but here in Montreal it's very expensive.

Also looked up the CPU compatibility list for this KT266 motherboard i'd change out if i actually go ahead with it, and it's compatible up to the Palomino CPU. Says it's not compatible with T'bred and up.

m
Old 04-10-03, 12:10 AM   #24
nitromullet

Quote:
Originally posted by mason
Thanks suexec; sounds good.

i've had my cheapo nForce2 motherboard (the MSI no frills one, K7N2) for a couple days now and i've been trying to figure out if i should put it in or return it.

Well it's a pretty red colour.

-- i thot the Epox one would be cheaper but here in Montreal it's very expensive.

Also looked up the CPU compatibility list for this KT266 motherboard i'd change out if i actually go ahead with it, and it's compatible up to the Palomino CPU. Says it's not compatible with T'bred and up.

m
...two things on this, just my opinion:

1) if you're going to get an nForce2 board, get one with the Sound Storm sound build in. The Asus A7N8X isn't the cheapest board on the block, but it has the onboard Sound Storm, 2 NIC's (one nVidia and one 3com), and includes S-ATA which currently is not very useful but might be nice to have as these drives become more common.

2) if you're going to opt for the VIA chipset, get at least a KT333 if not a KT400. The KT400 will support all of the T-bred and Barton chips.

I also have the Xserver running in 2D mode just fine with the A7N8X and a 9700 Pro, so this is certainly doable, but no 3D until nVidia does something about the AGP/GART situation.

-nitromullet
nitromullet is offline   Reply With Quote