Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-03, 03:21 AM   #25
suexec

I too have a A7N8X (Deluxe). Only the deluxe has the SATA, FireWire, SoundStorm, dual NICs, etc.

The initial incarnation of SATA doesn't allow for daisy chaining. I believe SATA 2 has this in its design. But then 1394/FireWire already supports daisy chaining.

If going with Via, skip the KT400 and stick with either the KT333 or KT400a.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 03:54 PM   #26
mason

Just a note to nVidia that people remain interested in this subject, as the number of views of this thread shows. We'd like the AGP port to work for third party gfx cards, optimally via source code as a part of the GPL kernel tree, but it'd be nice to just have it work.

--i'd go for an Asus too if the MSI version wasn't so cheap where i live. i think i can get the fully loaded K7N2 for just less than for the plain A7N8X. Still debating whether to use or return this board.

Save up for a Barton one day.

b
mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-03, 11:44 AM   #27
Gepper

*Bump*
Gepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-03, 12:58 PM   #28
galaxor
ATI Radeon, A7N8X-Dx

Default Re: nforce2 AGPgart and linux

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiamu
hi,

has anyone heard anything if nvidia will come up with a kernel module or support (open specs) for the linux apggart?

it is no fun having a fast card (ati) running as standard vga-card in X

greets

Kiamu
Hi Kiamu,

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiamu
hi,

has anyone heard anything if nvidia will come up with a kernel module or support (open specs) for the linux apggart?

it is no fun having a fast card (ati) running as standard vga-card in X

greets

Kiamu
I'm in the same situation (Asus A7N8X Dx; nForce2; ATI Radeon 9000) but after hours of google-ing I found a patch/update for the radeon framebuffer driver (should also work on R9700).

I've put in into Kernel 2.4.21-pre6 and included the 3com-patch (one of the onboard-NICs).

Someone already suggested using 2.4.21-pre6 and the AMD-Viper IDE-Driver for UDMA100 support - works fine.

If someone's interested in the patch (you need to get a "vanilla" 2.4.21-pre6 first):

http://www.ldknet.org/~mweitzel/patc...om_radeonfb.gz

Boot the kernel with the option "video=radeon". Optionally append a colon and mode-string like ":1024x768"

The RadeonFB works fine for me. Performance is not too bad (...not so bad as I expected it ;-) )

I use this mode (insert into section "Monitor" of your XF86Config(-4)) while waiting for the nForce2-AGPGART:

Mode "1024x768"
# D: 100.000 MHz, H: 76.220 kHz, V: 90.201 Hz
DotClock 100.001
HTimings 1024 1024 1120 1312
VTimings 768 789 804 845
Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
EndMode
galaxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-03, 02:52 PM   #29
Thilo

i was about to start a *really*really* nasty topic before I realized that here are already enough people who are sharing my problems

I have got everything running ... at least the 3com networking card on my gentoo system and the ata/ide thingies, with 2.4.21-pre5-ac3 kernel .. so it actually runs decently ... as all people here pointed out, no agpgart support which means i'm pretty much f**ked with my ATI Radeon 9700.

I as faithful customer can only say that it CANNOT be, that a company is withholding specifications AND at the same time not offer decent drivers, even if they are at least closed source, forcing users with the native agpgart in the nvidia card drivers to use nvidia graphic boards if they want to have decent 3d acceleration.

As to the opensource development: Apparently someone on the linux kernel mailing list tries to figure out how to patch for agpgart support, I hope he's going to come up with something decent.
DVD's? Yeah .. you can play dvds using mplayer ...
mplayer -vo x11 should do the trick, but you must use software scaling in order to get a nice full-screen picture.

Maybe someone should kick one of these arses of the bosses up there at nvidia ...
Thilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 03:13 PM   #30
Gepper

Talking

We still need this..

Gepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 09:15 PM   #31
nitromullet

I agree with the previous statement. That is ultimately what this forum is about.

Andy. is there anything more that you are able to tell us in regards to this issue other than, "we know, we're working on it"? I think that a little bit more information would go a long way. I would imagine that most of the people reading this forum are probably quite happy with their nForce2 based motherboards, and want to use then to their fullest potential. We wait patiently for drivers (so we can rave to our friends about how good nVidia's chipset is), but thus far we have gotten nothing for supporting nVidia's entry into the chipset market. Is it too much to ask of nVidia to at least let us know if we can expect AGPgart support for non-nVidia graphics adaptors in the future?

-nitromullet
nitromullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 10:10 PM   #32
highrez

Hey nVidia

We're still waiting, is there anyone listening? I don't care about how much you know about the problem I want a friggin answer. If you're gonna advertise linux compatability you should make sure your hardware is truly compatible!!! So release the friggin specs or write the friggin code but stop giving execuses. Stop punishing users who found that the best bang for their buck was not with nVidia based hardware accelerators. I will *NEVER EVER EVER* buy another fsck'n nVidia product if you guys continue to bundle your offerings together like this. The AGP driver should be part of the motherboard drvierset, JUST LIKE IT IS IN WINDOWS. SO WHY ISNT IT? WHO HASNT DONE THEIR JOB AND WHEN ARE THEY GONNA DO IT? DONT WORRY I DONT WANT A TIMELINE, I JUST WANT THE DRIVER YOU SHOULD HAVE DELIVERED MONTHS AGO. Or are you content with people like Alan Cox saying "Basically its windows computer" ? If you can't see what real developers think of your product maybe you should take a look at : http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...05.3/0071.html

And after looking start writing some code.
highrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-03, 12:26 AM   #33
nitromullet

This is from a post dated 4-16-2003 in: nV News Forums > Linux > Linux Operating Systems & Software > To Andy Mecham

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- And do you have timeframe for agpgart support for non nvidia video cards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping very soon. I know that's a frustrating answer, but it's the best I can give at this point. As soon as I can tell you exactly, I will. It's not something we're ignoring by any means.

--andy

...it appears that Andy is not in a position to give us any answers at this point. Keeping things under wraps is not uncommon for a publicly visible corporation like nVidia. I guess that we are supposed to just keep the faith that this will happen some time...

I thought that I had researched my motherboard purchase quite fully, but I guess that most of the hardware review sites are Windows-centric and were too busy gushing over the advantages of dual channel DDR RAM to mention a known compatability issue with the nForce2 chipset. In my opinion, this is not only a shortcoming of nVidia, but also a shortcoming in the whole community. Hardware that theoretically works across multiple platforms should function as such before it is released, and if it doesn't it should be noted in hardware reviews.

I am also curious to know what AMD thinks of this whole issue since this affects them also in regards to consumer decisions.
i.e. The Intel 845GE chipset begins to look much more attractive from a price/performance standpoint when you consider the issues with the nForce2 and Linux compatability. If anyone has any links to any statements AMD has made on this topic, I would interested to see them. I hope that AMD is pushing nVidia to extend the capabilties of an otherwise great chipset.

-nitromullet
nitromullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-03, 01:43 PM   #34
suexec

And with nForce 3 around the corner (single Opteron chipset), a lack of agpgart support in nForce 2 will also mean that nForce 3 won't be in any better shape.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-03, 03:38 PM   #35
AranC23

Default eagerly waiting...

I was very close to upgrading my motherboard to an nForce 2 chipset system. Unfortunately although I would likely use an Nvidia card or the internal video it bugs me that I don't have any real choice here.

One of the appeals of this board was the firewire ports too, which don't work. And the onboard ethernet requires a driver which will never be included in a stock kernel? Super!

What gives here? I know you've stated you're working on the AGP issues, but these other issues are important too... providing drivers is good, providing drivers that can be included in the kernel (or the information required to write them) is much better.

Please give us the goods on the onboard hardware! In the meantime I'm left looking at slower VIA solutions or even Pentium motherboards!
AranC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-03, 03:44 PM   #36
Andy Mecham
l33t master

A solution to the AGP problem is forthcoming very shortly.

--andy