Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-22-03, 03:56 PM   #37
Andy Mecham
l33t master

As a follow up - a patch for AGPGART for nForce will be available with the next nForce driver package. I don't have a date for release, but I don't expect it to be very long.

--andy
Old 04-22-03, 05:10 PM   #38
Gepper

Talking !!!!

Woho!

(And thanks for the reply Andy )
Gepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-03, 07:19 PM   #39
cpedgin

I sure hope this is soon, as I have a lot of time and money wrapped up now in a PC that wont do what I was wanting it to.

I dont want to flame, but you would think that released mainboard chipset drivers would include support for something like AGP

Im sitting here with a MSI K7N2 Nforce 2 mainboard, and a ATI Radeon 8500LE that is effectively crippled now because of the lack of AGP support. And what I want to do requires working DRI support and thats not gonna happen with this setup unless I use only an Nvidia GPU? Not acceptable.

Im not sure why Nvidia chose to wrap up their AGP suport within their drivers but it doesnt bode well for non-Nvidia GPU owners. I can only hope they dont allow this problem to continue with their Nforce3 drivers.

Providiing Nvidia optimized solutions is one thing but shutting off entire avenues of functionality for those that dont go 100% Nvidia is not so hot.
cpedgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-03, 08:45 PM   #40
greenjelly84

Hello Andy,

I signed up just so I could take the time to say thanks for this information. I have an old ati card I would like to use untill i have the money for a new geforce(4, FX?) card. Thanks so much for this great news and please thank all the people that help with Linux support. It's a great operating system...I hope others realise its potential like you have.

Thanks again!!!

colin
greenjelly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 04:51 AM   #41
suexec

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
As a follow up - a patch for AGPGART for nForce will be available with the next nForce driver package. I don't have a date for release, but I don't expect it to be very long.

--andy
That's great news Hopefully eventually, it would be possible to incorporate this patch into the standard agpgart.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 06:12 AM   #42
Kiamu

Quote:
Originally posted by suexec
That's great news Hopefully eventually, it would be possible to incorporate this patch into the standard agpgart.
yes, i hope that they will put all motherboard related stuff in the standard kernel. it is ok for me to have closed drivers for the grafik card, but i strongly dislike it, if i have to use modules for motherboard features as well...
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 07:50 AM   #43
chief

its typical the own cards work but the cards of the "enemy" doesn't,how long we have to wait for a solution for the problem?
it's funny, I 've a radeon 9700 with hight performence,but under linux , i can't play ,not even games like tux racer,on such a machine,this sounds like a bad joke!
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 08:32 AM   #44
Kiamu

chief, thats why we are waiting for the AGPgart support

now it is announced at least. lets hope it works for all of us...
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-03, 08:50 AM   #45
chief

I know that everybody waits,I only wanted to say what I'm thinking about this sh** !
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 05:42 PM   #46
Thilo

I am pretty sure: If one of the kernel developers had the specifications from nvidia, this patch would have been there in no time.
Now they can put this far far down on the todo list, some nonpriority matter, of some nvidia's coders and let the users wait and beg for these drivers.
And now the faithful nvidia board posters scream out "thank you for your mercy and generosity! thank you thank you!" ... this reminds me of microsoft's police ...

Thankfully people like chief notice that this is not the way to go.
Thilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 11:01 PM   #47
nitromullet

Thank you Andy for updating us on this issue.

While I am happy to hear that this is really an issue that nVidia will eventually resolve, I do agree with those of you who would rather see an open source driver based on the specs from nVidia. However, the nvnet module has given me no problems in the past and I assume that the AGPgart driver will be of equal quality, so I will take what I can get. I too am have made a considerable investment into my PC, with an A7N8X Dlx and a Crucial ATI 9700 Pro, and would like to see my investment work up to its potential. I have been a longtime supporter of AMD chips (from the K6 to the Thunderbird, and now a Palomino which I hope to replace soon with a Thoroughbred), and I have not been a very big fan of VIA. The way I see it, the nForce2 was what AMD users have been waiting for, so it is good to see that nVidia will help us get the most out of their chipset. However, in the future hopefully nVidia will work a bit more with the open source community to get these drivers out a bit sooner and keep our kernels 'untainted' and free closed source modules. All that aside, thanks again Andy for making your presence known on this forum.

-nitromullet
nitromullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 12:22 AM   #48
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Just to be clear - the AGP support will be a patch to AGPGART, and is open.

--andy