Kiamu

great

thanks andy !!
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 08:17 AM   #50
sippe

Send a message via ICQ to sippe
Arrow

thank you much andy. i am very curious about it.

sippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 02:57 PM   #51
jcn

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
Just to be clear - the AGP support will be a patch to AGPGART, and is open.

--andy
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

!!!YES!!! | more
jcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 02:28 PM   #52
Idimmu

This makes me happy \o/

I take it that it will be going into the kernel at some point? As Im assuming 'open' means 'under the gpl' ?
Idimmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 06:31 AM   #53
chief

when will this mysterious thing to get the nforce2 agp working with non-nvidia cards?is there known any date ?
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 08:17 AM   #54
douglass

Something that seems to be missed here is that this is not an entirely NVIDIA problem. AGP 3.0 support in 2.4.x is not very good, and may need some fixing prior to the nVidia patches being added in to the kernel.

However, if you know where to look to keep up with the bleeding edge AGPGART news, and are aware of this issue and the promises made here by Andy, you can put 2 and 2 together to see that the patch has gone from nVidia to the proper kernel developer; and seems to be waiting on a backport of the newer GART style in 2.5 to the current 2.4 tree. The whole thing gets compounded somewhat, as there is no "Official" 2.4 GART maintainer; the 2.5 GART maintainer hasn't been working on 2.4 yet.

2.4.21 would seem to be a really good kernel for nForce2 users. It already contains firewire patches, USB patches, a recent patch for explicit nForce IDE controllers, and will hopefully have a GART driver.

The only better news that could come from this would be nVidia patches for explicit nForce memory controller support and HYPERTransport support. (I guess nvnet kernel module would be too much to ask for, but generic support for the RealTek 8201BL would be good enough, as that's what's on my Abit NF7-S).

Patience, patience, patience. As the kernel guys say, It'll be out when it's ready. It is important to see that nVidia has made the right decision, and encourage them to continue in that vein. Flaming them because it isn't instantaneous is counterproductive.
IMO, instantaneous would have been a binary kernel add-on, which would have been a momentary victory, but a long term loss.

That's my .02, at least.
douglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 08:32 PM   #55
sippe

Send a message via ICQ to sippe

@douglass: i agree with you. but sometimes it is hart to deal with this waiting-problem. i have a nf7-s too and i become crazy when i have to use winxp only one more day .... ;-))
after 3 happy years with linux-only (and my geforce256 *g*) it s a cruel to use winxp even only for playing quake.

go, nvidia-linux-guys, go! :-))

how can i/we support you?

sorry for my english.
sippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 09:08 PM   #56
dpilot

Default nforce2 AGPgart and Linux

Another who registered in order to post on this thread.

Great news!!

When I had some spare time, I was going to get a new kernel and try the new pcigart support for my 8500LE, but native GART will be clearly better.

Now to sound like an ungreatful snot...

Any chance of getting APIC support so we can really flex the onboard peripherals, or some sort of i2c/smbus support so LM-sensors will work?

Thanks.
dpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-03, 11:10 AM   #57
m00re

lm_sensors is working for me with the i2c-isa and w83781d module. I have an Abit NF7-S. I first tried to compile the i2c-nforce2 module which is in the current cvs tree of lm_sensors, but that didn't work for me.

So far, Jens
m00re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-03, 11:13 AM   #58
m00re

something i forgot:
@douglass: where do i have to look for the bleeding edge agpgart news? i was on linux.kernel, but there wasn't very much about agp changes.
Old 04-29-03, 12:48 PM   #59
douglass

Dave Jones is the AGPGART maintainer for 2.5.x. He will be the maintainer for 2.4.x also, but will not take that role until 2.4.x has the 'new' GART style interface backported. You can look at his page at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk to find out the latest status on his work. The only stuff that makes it to linux.kernel, as well as the kernel mailing list are committed patches and discussion, not so much works in progress.
douglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-03, 02:10 PM   #60
m00re

Thanks.