Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-07, 09:39 AM   #1
Ancient
Occasional User

Default Anti-spam policy

We've been getting a lot of spam in here recently. One method I've seen used to cripple forum spammers is to impose a restriction on newbies being able to post links until they meet a specific post count, like 5 or 10. Is it possible to impose that restriction in here? It might keep all those one-post wonder spammers from infecting NVNEWS.
Old 06-01-07, 09:42 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Anti-spam policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
We've been getting a lot of spam in here recently. One method I've seen used to cripple forum spammers is to impose a restriction on newbies being able to post links until they meet a specific post count, like 5 or 10. Is it possible to impose that restriction in here? It might keep all those one-post wonder spammers from infecting NVNEWS.
I would agree with that.
Old 06-01-07, 10:01 AM   #3
superklye

We already brought this up months ago.

My favorite suggestion was to have a 10 post minimum before new members can post.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 10:26 AM   #4
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
We already brought this up months ago.

My favorite suggestion was to have a 10 post minimum before new members can post.
Figures. I'm traditionally late to the party.

Consider this a bump then?
Old 06-01-07, 10:45 AM   #5
spaceigg
Consacrated Slacker

I am not sure about limiting would be beneficial. we should stick to remove spam threads as soon as they are found.
spaceigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 03:35 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceigg
I am not sure about limiting would be beneficial. we should stick to remove spam threads as soon as they are found.
The problem is that leaves more work for the mods and admins. I'm in favor for a 10 post minimum before you can post links. This way, any new members will be more active before they could post links, and spambots would not be able to spam as they wouldn't be capable of posting any links.

How would the limit not be beneficial?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 03:38 PM   #7
evilghost

If someone would promote me to moderator and allow me to find the IP address of those posting the SPAM I would promise to:

1) Isolate the IP address of the destination spam domain, find the ISP or colocation provider, and report it to their abuse department. If necessary I will speak to the on the phone to convey the seriousness of spam.

2) From the IP address of the offending poster contact their ISP's abuse department and attempt to have service terminated. If necessary I will get on the phone with them as well.

I have zero tolerance for SPAM. If MikeC or the others have faith in me to not abuse the "IP address of poster" I will summon an anti-spam fury on a cataclysmic level. Nothing makes a spammer STFU up quicker than getting dropped from their ISP. We'll see how precious that IPOD they're trying to win becomes when they can't find an ISP in their entire f'n state to connect them.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 03:43 PM   #8
superklye

You just want to ban evilchris

Old 06-01-07, 03:46 PM   #9
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
You just want to ban evilchris
He's my boi, I don't want to ban anyone. I do want to get the IP Address of the chitbag spammers and lay upon them the fiery response from the ISP's abuse department.
Old 06-01-07, 03:47 PM   #10
superklye

All right, you've convinced me.

Now, if I had any pull around here, that might mean something.
Old 06-01-07, 03:49 PM   #11
evilghost

If a mod will work with me and just PM me the IP Addresses I'll do all the leg work. I f'n hate spam, I hate spammers, and if I see one on the street I'll give them a punch in the face and take their iPOD. Then I'll scream I PUNCHED THE MONKEY AND WON A FREE IPOD!.

I hate them, you really don't even know how bad. If you think I get torqued up about Linux vs Win32 you should see what I feel about spam. Just even talking about it now has raised my blood pressure.
Old 06-01-07, 03:52 PM   #12
spaceigg
Consacrated Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
If someone would promote me to moderator and allow me to find the IP address of those posting the SPAM I would promise to:

1) Isolate the IP address of the destination spam domain, find the ISP or colocation provider, and report it to their abuse department. If necessary I will speak to the on the phone to convey the seriousness of spam.

2) From the IP address of the offending poster contact their ISP's abuse department and attempt to have service terminated. If necessary I will get on the phone with them as well.

I have zero tolerance for SPAM. If MikeC or the others have faith in me to not abuse the "IP address of poster" I will summon an anti-spam fury on a cataclysmic level. Nothing makes a spammer STFU up quicker than getting dropped from their ISP. We'll see how precious that IPOD they're trying to win becomes when they can't find an ISP in their entire f'n state to connect them.
you've got my vote.
spaceigg is offline   Reply With Quote