Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-07, 05:30 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Firmware Upgrade Adds 24p Video Output to Toshiba HD DVD Players

Toshiba America announced on Wednesday its plans to release a firmware upgrade that adds 24p HD video output capabilities to its entry-level HD DVD players.

The announcement was made at the "Toshiba in your Life" press event, held yesterday in New York.

The firmware will be applied to the Toshiba's high-end HD-XA2 and the entry-level HD-A20 models. The updated players will be able to output 1080/24p HD DVD video, a function that was missing in the HD-A20 model, and had fired up negative criticism when Toshiba announced its availability last year.

The update will also offer support for the HDi network function, that will allow an HD DVD player to access specific internet servers in order to receive exclusive material related to HD DVD movies. The HDi network is part of interactive features of the HD DVD format. Bandai Visual USA will release this month the first HD DVD animation title in North America ("Freedom Volume 1") - which includes the HDi network function. The function is also backed by Microsoft and Memory-Tech, which will both develop the hardware and software environment related to the HD DVD interactivity features.

Last but certainly not least, Toshiba announced that starting from July 1st, the Toshiba HD-A2 and HD-A20 models will be available for $299 and $399, respectively. The company decided to continue selling the specific devices at the same prices, as they were decided after the $100 in-store rebate announced last March.

The MSRP price of the HD-XA2 model ($799.99)will not change for now.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=20839
Old 06-30-07, 04:04 AM   #2
Rakeesh

Default Re: Firmware Upgrade Adds 24p Video Output to Toshiba HD DVD Players

I don't know what the big deal about 1080p/24 is. Sure you can notice that "jump" occasionally during a pan, and in movies only (not games,) but not very often. It isn't really a feature I would pay extra for.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 12:33 PM   #3
GamerGuyX

Default Re: Firmware Upgrade Adds 24p Video Output to Toshiba HD DVD Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
I don't know what the big deal about 1080p/24 is. Sure you can notice that "jump" occasionally during a pan, and in movies only (not games,) but not very often. It isn't really a feature I would pay extra for.
That's what sets you apart from the hardcore HD fans.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote