Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-07, 08:54 PM   #1
g-force

Question adjust gpu/memory settings over nvidia-settings...

hello ,

i added the entry
Code:
Option "Coolbits" "1"
in my driver section , but i there is still no extra option in the nvidia settings-tool ...
in windows i can adjust the memory and gpu clocks for the GF4ti4200/128mb . please don't tell me my GPU is not supported (isn't GF4 higher than GF FX ?), because i would really need to set it for underclocking , to erase those artefacts . (newest driver for my card installed).

greetings
g-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 08:56 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: adjust gpu/memory settings over nvidia-settings...

Coolbits is not supported on your GPU.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 09:10 PM   #3
g-force

thx,this is what i call a fast answer

but how can i know which cards are supported by the coolbits option ?
i thought GF4>GF fx . (whereis a compability list? )

is there also any possibility to force it in any kind of way or maybe develope it of my own ? i could live with a broken card , because its useless for me without underclocking for linux...

(i hope at least the 8800GTX/GTS for my new machine will have tweaking options for GPU clock and memory with the linuxdriver )
Old 07-01-07, 09:54 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Generally speaking NV4x and newer GPUs are supported with Coolbits. NV2x are definitely not.
Old 07-02-07, 06:02 AM   #5
g-force

and what about developing that for the nvidia-settings tool or as separated small program ?
it shouldn't be that difficult ...

greetings
Old 07-02-07, 08:58 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not sure that I understand the question, however nvidia-settings is GPL'd code that you are quite welcome to review & change to meet your needs.
Old 07-02-07, 10:55 AM   #7
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-force
and what about developing that for the nvidia-settings tool or as separated small program ?
it shouldn't be that difficult ...
nvclock
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 12:55 PM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

An excerpt from the 100.14.11 README (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-b.html), to clarify which GPUs are supported:
Option "Coolbits" "integer"

Enables various unsupported features, such as support for GPU clock manipulation in the NV-CONTROL X extension. This option accepts a bit mask of features to enable.

When "1" (Bit 0) is set in the "Coolbits" option value, the nvidia-settings utility will contain a page labeled "Clock Frequencies" through which clock settings can be manipulated. "Coolbits" is only available on GeForce FX, Quadro FX and newer desktop GPUs. On GeForce FX and newer mobile GPUs, limited clock manipulation support is available when "1" is set in the "Coolbits" option value: clocks can be lowered relative to the default settings; overclocking is not supported due to the thermal constraints of notebook designs.

WARNING: this may cause system damage and void warranties. This utility can run your computer system out of the manufacturer's design specifications, including, but not limited to: higher system voltages, above normal temperatures, excessive frequencies, and changes to BIOS that may corrupt the BIOS. Your computer's operating system may hang and result in data loss or corrupted images. Depending on the manufacturer of your computer system, the computer system, hardware and software warranties may be voided, and you may not receive any further manufacturer support. NVIDIA does not provide customer service support for the Coolbits option. It is for these reasons that absolutely no warranty or guarantee is either express or implied. Before enabling and using, you should determine the suitability of the utility for your intended use, and you shall assume all responsibility in connection therewith.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-07, 04:22 PM   #9
g-force

thx@all

nvclock sound very promising , i will try it out .
maybe this is all i need , but i guess with the nvidia-settings tool the clock changes get stored in the VBIOS , so that they don't have to be set twice ?

i also read that description about coolbits btw , but i still don't know exactly what is newer and older than Geforce FX

greetings
Old 07-02-07, 04:41 PM   #10
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-force
thx@all

but i still don't know exactly what is newer and older than Geforce FX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce

GeForce 4 is older than GeForceFX(read it GeForce 5).
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 10:24 AM   #11
g-force

good to know

i wanted to buy a 8800GTS/GTX the next days/weeks , but looks like i really should wait for the release of GF9 now , if they promise up to 2x speed ...