Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-07, 12:07 PM   #1
=JeffH

Default 100.14 11 driver broken by update of ubuntu linux-restricted-modules common/generic

The recent update (Fri 2007-06-29 US pacific time) to..

2007-06-29 06:54:06 upgrade linux-restricted-modules-common 2.6.17.7-11.2 2.6.17.8-11.2

2007-06-29 06:54:07 upgrade linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-11-generic 2.6.17.7-11.2 2.6.17.8-11.2

..apparently has broken my xorg multiple-monitor setup on my Dell D820 running Edgy (6.10)

[this thread corresponds to this thread in ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=490399

Based on what occured to me, I suspect that the onus is on the Ubuntu community to resolve this particular issue, but I'm posting it here to (a) further spread the info, and (b) in case there is something that the nvidia community can, or needs to, do on their end to help resolve (and prevent) this issue.

This thread is likely also related to this nvnews forum thread from this morning:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94187
]

I was notified of the available update when I booted up in the morning, installed it, and worked all day (running the nvidia 100.14 11 driver and using both the builtin LCD and an external monitor, as usual), shutdown, and when I booted up Saturday morning, the xorg server crashed on initialization.

I have multiple /etc/X11/xorg.conf.* files lying around, and so experimented with both multi-screen setup using the "nv" (open source nvidia driver) and "nvidia" (proprietary nvidia driver), and with both, the X server crashes. [i just symlink /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the "real" xorg config file I wish to try and restart the X server]

I can get the system to work by using an xorg.conf that utilizes only the builtin LCD monitor and the "nv" driver. I haven't tried this with the "nvidia" driver.

Anyway, it seems to me that something in the upgrade of the above two linux-restricted-modules-* is breaking things in that I hadn't changed anything else in the system config except the above two listed upgrades (before the failure began).

Below are the applicable log files, created by nvidia-bug-report.sh (a cool tool that includes a host of information including the xorg.conf file, the nvidia driver initialization log, etc). The first log is a diff between the other two logs, which are for the nvidia driver failure, and the nv driver failture. The diff log is 400 cols wide.

Questions:

0. obviously, anyone know what changed in the above packages that woulda done this?

1. How does one figure out exactly what are the changed/new modules in the above listed package upgrades?

2. How might I back out the upgrades so I can get my multiple-monitor setup working again?

Please let me know if there's any other info I can supply to help figure this out.

thanks!

=JeffH
=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 12:21 PM   #2
dpw2atox

Default Re: 100.14 11 driver broken by update of ubuntu linux-restricted-modules common/gener

it sounds like you need to reinstall your drivers. if you look at the install guide at the top of the forums it could provide some further tips.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 01:23 PM   #3
=JeffH

Smile Re: 100.14 11 driver broken by update of ubuntu linux-restricted-modules common/gener

thanks...

So some aspect of the APIs the nvidia driver uses changed in the modules that were installed in the ubuntu update?

I did the re-install of 100.14.11, in which it compiles some aspects of itself, and all is again working.

thanks again,

=JeffH
=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 01:41 PM   #4
dpw2atox

Default Re: 100.14 11 driver broken by update of ubuntu linux-restricted-modules common/gener

well the restricted package has some of the nvidia modules in it. when you install the drivers manually they write over the ubuntu package, but when it is reinstalled then it rewrites back over your manual install. the solution is just to reinstall again or remove the package and install so this doesnt happen.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote