Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: have you ever bought wow gold?
yes, i dont see a problem with it 14 33.33%
NO! 24 57.14%
i havent yet but i have been tempted 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-07, 10:58 PM   #13
Son Goku

Default Re: have you ever bought wow gold?

No, I wouldn't buy it...

WRT both this, as well as the news item on the front page; it is worth mentioning a few things. If someone does chose to buy it, they do it at their own risk; and the risk is Blizzard banning them.

Various aspects of this, from gold farming, to spamming gold for real money, to impersonating the game (CODing wrapping paper while claiming to be the Argent Dawn, yes this occured on the realm I'm on), are all bannable offences. But as I understand it, Blizzard also reserves the right to ban anyone they might catch for buying gold (not just selling it) as well. Same can go for those, if they're caught buying accounts/characters.

Another aspect that might also be worth mentioning with gold farmers:

- How are they all getting the gold. I've known more then a few people who have had their accounts hacked into, with gold stolen from them. One had 4,200 gold and was saving up for an epic flying mount. Logged in one day, items there, but gold gone. Whether the gold farmers stole it or not, who knows. After he reported this, like 10 other people in guild mentioned they had gold stolen out of their accounts all within a relatively short period of time.

- Gold beggers. People who feel a sense of entitlement, as if the "world owes them". Same people can run into with lazy arse bums in real life; except that no justification for a meal applies in a game. It's some lvl 19 that wants twink gear, and also doesn't care to level cause they not just ask, but demand that a level 70 "rush me and power level me" through, everything. If one declines, the sorta tantrum one gets from a 5 year old "you're mean Wah... I need, gimme my way" type thing.

- But one day I had a lvl 9 gold begger, that before we were done:

lvl 9: I need 5 gold for my skills. Gimme?

me: No! Besides, level 9 skills don't cost any 5 gold.

... lvl 9: I work for this great site called peons for hire. You should visit us and buy some gold. That way when someone like me asks for it, you can give it back to us.

Umm, first off, I didn't say that I didn't have it. I said that I refuse to give it to a begger. Secondly, I'd hardly want to spend my real world money to buy something, to give it back to this dousche. Third, I had come to hate spammers even worse then beggers, when they fricken flooded my screen several times a minute (no joke) without using a mod such as spam sentry to stop them (before the 2.1.0 patch).
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 08:23 AM   #14
K007

With BC..gold is not as hard as it was before to get. True..getting that 5000 Gold for the epic flying mount is something of a time consuming thing..but then again..thats for hardcore people...for casuals gold is pretty easy to get for there needs.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 08:31 AM   #15
Jon

I've bought weapons in GW... but that was because I had no chance of ever getting them myself as long as I lived.

I was tempted to buy wow gold, but 1:- didn't want to spoil the game... and 2:- some of the sites looked really dodgy and I wouldn't trust them with my CC details!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 12:33 PM   #16
nVJoe

Yeahk I've bought gold, so what. All you snobs who cry about it really need to give it a rest. It is a game. Also it is none of your business how people spend their money on games.

Also allow me to enlighten you about the so-called Terms of Agreement. This does not account for the fact that all MMOs allow gold farmers to a certain extent. It is good business for everyone. WoW has bowed down to the biggest gold farming firms on the net. Yes the firms force them selves on Blizzard and the other mmos but at the end of the day Blizzard is two faced when it announces it has banned all the accounts, yeah but they are the vast majority trial accounts and WoW is NOT going to stop handing out free trial accounts.

It is a big joke when Blizzard gets mad and when people get mad.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 12:34 PM   #17
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

guild wars ftw
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 01:42 PM   #18
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Yeahk I've bought gold, so what. All you snobs who cry about it really need to give it a rest. It is a game. Also it is none of your business how people spend their money on games.

Also allow me to enlighten you about the so-called Terms of Agreement. This does not account for the fact that all MMOs allow gold farmers to a certain extent. It is good business for everyone. WoW has bowed down to the biggest gold farming firms on the net. Yes the firms force them selves on Blizzard and the other mmos but at the end of the day Blizzard is two faced when it announces it has banned all the accounts, yeah but they are the vast majority trial accounts and WoW is NOT going to stop handing out free trial accounts.

It is a big joke when Blizzard gets mad and when people get mad.
Well first of all how in Azeroth is Blizz handing out "free trial accounts"? AFAIK you only get the 10 day trial key when you buy the retail game, which isn't free at all.

As far as the Terms of Agreement, let me enlighten YOU for a change:

In section C, paragraph v. of the agreement "you agree that you will not buy or sell for "real" money gold, weapons, armor, etc...". How about that, Mr. righteous, god-fearing nVJoe?

And finally, you yourself have stated in your post that WoW is just a game. Now why in Azeroth would you go out and shell out real-life money for virtual currency in a game is beyond me.

May I suggest you learn2farm?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 03:06 PM   #19
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
Well first of all how in Azeroth is Blizz handing out "free trial accounts"? AFAIK you only get the 10 day trial key when you buy the retail game, which isn't free at all.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml
Look at the upper right hand corner of the website. You can download the game, fill out the information. You only pay when you actually upgrade to the full version. If you do, you pay the money for the game which is less than the retail version. I know but cause I did this when I came back to the game.

Quote:
As far as the Terms of Agreement, let me enlighten YOU for a change:

In section C, paragraph v. of the agreement "you agree that you will not buy or sell for "real" money gold, weapons, armor, etc...". How about that, Mr. righteous, god-fearing nVJoe?
Did you read what I said about Blizzard allowing a certain amount of gold farming and are you aware of how the gold farming firms strong arm MMOs into letting them farm? Please read what I said before you post redundant information. It would have saved this whole paragraph from entering into the web.

You want to bring religion into this? LOL! Come on at least address the topic because I can go down the list of your hypocrisies also.
Quote:
And finally, you yourself have stated in your post that WoW is just a game. Now why in Azeroth would you go out and shell out real-life money for virtual currency in a game is beyond me.
Why do you care? If you think it is stupid, fine. To be honest when I did it, I knew it was a complete waste of money but that is where I chose to spend my money.

Quote:
May I suggest you learn2farm?
Sure! Grats!

I have farmed just as much gold as you have in my time on WoW. When I got to my last two 60s I decided I didn't want to grind for that epic mound. I got tired of it.

Now may i suggest you save your Night Elf lingo for /1 General channel?

LOL! WoW lingo is pathetic.
Old 07-10-07, 03:08 PM   #20
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
NO...NEVER...NIET...NADA...

I have never, and will never buy gold/items/pl/etc.....It RUINS the economy...I am as adamant against it as Brad from Sigil, though I have a distaste for him now as he (not only he, but mostly he) ruined Vanguard...

I won't even buy stuff if it's sanctioned (like EQ2 @ SOE)...I already pay 15 bucks a month..I enjoy playing...If I didn't enjoy playing, I still wouldn't buy stuff with RL money, because I would have quit the game...

All Gold Farmers are evil...PERIOD...

Flame me if you must, but then I'll simply tell you to f off... (Bottom line, no one can change my mind on this...)
LOL! I can't get past your silly avatar, let alone address your post.

LOL! Vanguard. LOL! What a crappy game.

Old 07-10-07, 04:41 PM   #21
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Did you read what I said about Blizzard allowing a certain amount of gold farming and are you aware of how the gold farming firms strong arm MMOs into letting them farm? Please read what I said before you post redundant information. It would have saved this whole paragraph from entering into the web.
And allowing a certain amount of gold farming equals to allowing to buy/sell WoW gold for real money how? I can go gold farming till the day they close the servers but will never sell the gold I have farmed.

You on the other hand have broken the EULA, it's as simple as that.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
Old 07-10-07, 05:30 PM   #22
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
And allowing a certain amount of gold farming equals to allowing to buy/sell WoW gold for real money how? I can go gold farming till the day they close the servers but will never sell the gold I have farmed.
If you allow a behavior to happen you are are in essence saying it is ok to do this. At he very least you create confusion. That is what Blizzard had been doing. They won't talk about it but there is a lot of behind the scenes talks going on with MMOs and gold farmers. I am not talking about regular gold farming in the game as Blizzard intended. I am talking about gold farming by gold farming firms. I think you may have confused what I said.

Quote:
You on the other hand have broken the EULA, it's as simple as that.
I never said I didn't break the EULA. I am saying that because Blizzard allows a certain amount, they are breaking their own EULA. Either they tell the gold farming firms "we will not allow you in our game" or they won't.

BTW have you ever downloaded a song off the internet with out paying for it?
Don't try and take the high road on me just because you happen to care about this particular issue.
Old 07-10-07, 05:37 PM   #23
Son Goku

There is something Blizzard could do, which would put an end to the spamming of WoW gold, and that would be to further restrict 10-day trial accounts to no PST, and no sending of mail possible. Leave them unable to speak in either trade channel or general chat, and that restricts their methods of using trial accounts.

As to that much of a change, with a stripped down account, when I used my 10-day trial prior to my retail code last year, I already couldn't use the AH or many other features of the game. Such restrictiveness wouldn't be without precedent.

Fact that people should be aware of however (and probably most people who aren't farmers, but caught up in this aren't) is that it is a violation of the TOS, and Blizzard does reserve the right to ban them. More often then not, the person they buy the gold from is moving it on a 10-day trial account they could care less about, but the person entering into the transaction with them, is on their real account.

The spammer/gold farmer has little to lose, but the people who use them on the other hand have a lot to lose. This includes an account which isn't trial, and possibly a bunch of 70s they worked on for a bit of time. And time not just hitting lvl 70; but rep grinding for revered or even exalted with several factions, and raiding with as well.

When the day is done, and no I can't prove this; but I'd bet bottom to dollar that many of these gold sellers, are the same people who are hacking into people's accounts and stealing their gold, probably to resell. I've been hearing of more of this lattely, such as just the other week our guild master losign 4,200 gold when he was saving up for an epic mount. This was followed by about 20 people in guild all reporting in a short time after they had been hacked also.

I do know that one low life from peons4hire actually spammed me for gold ostensibly for his skills. When I refused, he started directing me to peons website to buy gold, so I could give it to him. I wouldn't put it past them to hack into the network and steal a portion of what they resell either.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 05:39 PM   #24
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
If you allow a behavior to happen you are are in essence saying it is ok to do this. At he very least you create confusion. That is what Blizzard had been doing. They won't talk about it but there is a lot of behind the scenes talks going on with MMOs and gold farmers. I am not talking about regular gold farming in the game as Blizzard intended. I am talking about gold farming by gold farming firms. I think you may have confused what I said.

I never said I didn't break the EULA. I am saying that because Blizzard allows a certain amount, they are breaking their own EULA. Either they tell the gold farming firms "we will not allow you in our game" or they won't.

BTW have you ever downloaded a song off the internet with out paying for it?
Don't try and take the high road on me just because you happen to care about this particular issue.
Alright, care to prove how Blizzard is making these behind-the-scenes moves with goldfarming companies? Or are you just making this up in your "confused" head to try and justify what you did?
Quote: