Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-19-07, 02:50 AM   #1
alpilotx

Exclamation 8800 series card + X-Plane = NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1

Hi,

Although there is already a big "NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1" thread, I wanted to start a new one, after now there turned up some more people, who have the exact same problem as I do.

We are talking about a freeze of the X-Server when playing X-Plane (OpenGL flight sim), and often (but not always - depending on how fast the freeze occurs) logging in /var/log/messages:
Quote:
May 18 22:04:13 phobos kernel: NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0003 00000000 00005097 00000934 ffffffff 0000000c
May 18 22:04:13 phobos kernel: NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1 -> L0
First, in an eMail conversation with NVidia, they suspected, that it is a problem specific to my hardware/software environment. Now it turns out that there are - already - two others, with different hardware and also differences in software, who can reproduce the problem when using X-Plane. The only common ground is, that we all have an 8800 series card (I have 8800GTS 320MByte, and the others have a 8800GTX and an 8800GTS 640MByte - so all flavors represented) !!! At this point I have to state - before NVidia suspects a fault on X-Planes side - that before (only 1-2 months ago) with my 6600GT (128MByte) card I never ever have seen this problem (though, flying hundreds of hours!). Nor are there any know reports about this issue - as far as I know - from users other than with 8800 series cards.

Now to the details. The problem has shown it's ugly face the most time in X-Plane. Earlier I thought it was an absolutely random issue, but after many experiments it turns out, that it must be bound to a specific constellation of data (scenery) in the rendering pipeline. Because there are some situations, where we can easily reproduce the bug, without much fuss. It seems to correlate with:
  • start up at specific airports
  • time of day set to "sun rise" (obviously a specific situation for rendering)
  • mostly highest rendering settings (will post a list below)
The suspicious airports - for all X-Plane users - are:
  • WN76 - switching to outside view and rotating around the plane brings the freeze
  • WA66 - switching to outside view and rotating around the plane sometimes brings the freeze
  • DAOI - starting, taking off, and the turning in the direction of the rising sun brings the freeze
All in all, my experience shows, that the best situation to reproduce it is, to turn the view in the direction of the sun (this sounds like it is some shading problem). And until now my best - and 100% reproduction - candidate is airport WN76 which always brings the problem in the outside view.
There is also one more observation from my side: in many cases I can see rendering glitches, before the freeze happens. In outside view this means, that suddenly all the ground textures begin to disappear, and the rendering becomes sluggish. Sometimes, the sim manages to recover (when the outside rotation is stopped immediately) and in those situations - with some luck - X doesn't freeze. In this situation one should already see a bunch of new NVRM:XID messages with dmesg. This is also the best case - a tip for others - to create the nvidia-bug-report, as you are still in the same X session in which the problems occurred. Though, sometimes the computer already freezes up and I have noticed that the freeze - at the same airports - can come so quickly, that there isn't even a NVRM:XID message in the log (this is the worst case).
I have also made the additional observation, that lowering rendering settings - thus reducing the pressure on the 3D hardware - can make the issue disappear, so for those who try to reproduce I highly recommend to go with very high settings (I will attach my settings).

Finally some words about my hardware/software/config (for NVidia, before you ask the standard questions - which has already been done in mail and checked):

Hardware:
  • Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU (not overclocked)
  • MSI P965 Platinum mainboard (with latest official BIOS)
  • 4 GByte Corsair Memory (tested with memtest86+)
  • GForce 8800 GTS 320 MByte
Software and configs tested:
  • Kernel: 2.6.20, 2.6.21 (X86_64 - in 64bit mode), different compiles (with different scheduler settings and so on) tested. Currently at 2.6.21.
  • 1.0-9775 and 100.14.03 drivers tested
  • Tested with and without COMPOSITE extension
None of the above configs and kernel changes made a difference for the bug! And I'm almost sure, that they will not, as now I have the reports of the two other users, who experience the same issue. One of them has just posted - and I hope he will repeat all his infos in this thread - here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...0&postcount=75
(as we see, he uses an 2.6.19 64bit kernel)
Another one I have only mail contact, and he is already verifying/reproducing the problem too on his side. He has, by the way, an 2.6.18 kernel in 32bit mode.

So I see very different configurations, but every one of them has the same issue. This very much seems to point to problems with the current drivers + 8800 series card.

Now I also attach - although I have sent some of them to NVidia before per mail - nvidia-bug-reports, and a text file with all my settings in X-Plane, which help to reproduce the issue (and also one of the situations files, which start you at WN76)! For 8800GTX users it is maybe recommended to even push a bit further by setting 8x anti aliasing.

I ask everybody, who has an:
  • 8800 series card
  • X-Plane 8
to try to reproduce the problem (as we are already 3 who can - more or less - it shouldn't be a big problem).

And NVidia, please help us help you to pin (and hopefully fix) this issue. If you had X-Plane 8.60 with Global Scenery, you should already be able to reproduce the issue with the informations I supported.

Thanks,

Andras Fabian / alpilotx

Please only post your NVRM:XID problems here, if you use X-Plane, or have an absolutely similar issue with 8800 series card. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log4.tar.gz (28.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log9.tar.gz (29.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log10.tar.gz (29.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt x-plane_settings.txt (1.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-crash-at-wn76-28.sit.tar.gz (1.2 KB, 118 views)
alpilotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-07, 09:28 AM   #2
Zzozo2

Post Re: 8800 series card + X-Plane = NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1

---- Copy/paste from another thread, in order to gather all the informations in a unique thread -----

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpilotx
Mine too, mine too. I have a Core 2 Duo machine with 8800GTS 320 MByte, and in the "game" X-Plane (it's the best flightsim which also supports Linux by the way - www.x-plane.com) I have every now or then the freezes. The usual: "NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13" issue in dmesg. And i also seem some graphical glitches before the freeze happens (or sometimes the driver seems to manage to save the situation, and it doesn't freeze, but already logs the NVRM messages). Even better, I have found a specific situation (settings and a specific airport to start flying), where I only have to switch to external view, and I immediately get the flickering/freeze. So, I already have a way to reproduce it. But NVidia only answered 8after I opened a BUG via eMail), that they can't reproduce it (I doubt, they even have X-Plane - so why do they say that???), and this seems to be specific to my environment.
But now I will try to refute their statement - that it is specific to my environment - with the help of another X-Plane user. He has an 8800GTX and a fairly different system (AMD instead of Intel etc.), but has already seen - one or two times - the same freeze (and has the NVRM messages in his log!). Now I hope, that with my directions, he will be able to reproduce the bug too. Then it can't be specific to my system ...

alpilotx
I have what seems to be the same problems you have with X-Plane (btw, thanks for your tremendous work ), i.e. : Many Xid lines that appears in the system log, which lead to a total freeze of X11, and then a kernel panic.

Nevertheless, juste before the kernel panic, I managed to launch the nvidia-bug-report.sh script, using a serial console, and get the result file saved.

My machine setup, is different and actually is :
- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (so it's an nForce4 chipset) motherboard with latest bios (1016)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
- 2 GB of RAM (4 banks)
- 1 x Leadtek 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM onboard
- 1 x 500W S12 Seasonic PSU

I'm using a Gentoo Linux 64 bits setup.
I'm using a 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 kernel and Nvidia driver version 100.14.03.

Btw, alpilotx, can you try to takeoff from DAOI (El Chelif, or something like that in Algeria) between 6:30 AM and 7:00 AM ?
When I do that, most of the time, the Xid scenario occurs and ends in a kernel panic.

Do you have the same symptoms/problem ?

Other than this case with X-Plane, I have several other times where the Xid error problem appears, most notably when playing multiple videos at the same time, while using Beryl. I'm preparing a complete setup to help Nvidia support reproduce it.

This bug must go into oblivion, now.
And I will do all I can to make this happen.

Regards.

--------------- End of Copy/Paste -------------------------------------

Some news:

I went on a memtest86+ that revealed nothing bad.
My processor is not overclocked.

And, I'm ** nearly exactly ** in the same situation as alpilotx is : Before using my 8800 GTS 640 MB graphic card, I was using an MSI 6600 GT 128 MB graphic on the ** SAME ** machine (well, the PSU is new and was chosen to provide a secure supply to the new gfx card ) I'm using now. And X-plane worked flawlessly during countless hours of flight, "around the world".

Now, I will run the same tests alpilotx ran, to see, if the same tests lead to the same consequences.

I'll post the results of my tests tomorrow, I think.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_19052007_0409.log (109.9 KB, 113 views)
Zzozo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-07, 10:05 AM   #3
rturney

Default Re: 8800 series card + X-Plane = NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1

I am also experiencing problems similar to alpilotx. The "total lock up" occurs very quickly and so I haven't been able to send the nvidia bug report.

An example of output from /var/log/messages:

Quote:
May 5 11:45:58 linux-sszw kernel: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 8, Channel ffffffff
May 5 11:45:58 linux-sszw kernel: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 30, L0 -> L0
Quote:
The suspicious airports - for all X-Plane users - are:

* WN76 - switching to outside view and rotating around the plane brings the freeze
* WA66 - switching to outside view and rotating around the plane sometimes brings the freeze
* DAOI - starting, taking off, and the turning in the direction of the rising sun brings the freeze
I have experienced the lock up near WA66. As soon as I changed the time of day to dusk (or near sunset) and started climbing out from takeoff my computer completely freezes up, requiring me to turn the power off and back on to reboot my computer.

Here are the details of the hardware and software I am using:

Hardware:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe nVidia 590 motherboard
OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK 2 GB memory
(cpu, mobo, memory assembled and tested at mwave.com before shipping)
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad PCIe 750 Watt

Software:
openSUSE 10.2 (Linux kernel 2.6.18.8-0.3-default) 32-bit
Open-GL Vendor: NVIDIA Corp.
Open-GL Renderer: GeForce 8800 GTX/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! 2.1.0 NVIDIA 97.55
X-Plane 8.60 w/Global scenery

Here are my X-plane settings:
Plane: Piper Malibu
Screen resolution: 1024 x 768
Texture resolution: extreme res
Set color-depth and monitor resolution on X-plane startup: no
Anti-alias level: 4x (hardcore)
Forest density: tree hugger
World detail distance: low
# of objects: mega tons
# of roads: totally insane
Load new scenery in-flight: yes
Allow sloped runways: yes
Anisotropic filter textures: 4x
All "draw" options, i.e. "draw cars on the roads", etc.: yes
# cloud of cloud puffs: 1.0
size cloud of cloud puffs: 1.0
Compress textures to save VRAM: yes
Do any scenery loads in the background: yes

I will "push" these settings to their extreme to determine the "personality" of this problem and post my results.

-Bob
rturney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 01:54 PM   #4
alpilotx

BUMP
-> for NVidia, because we posted this stuff over the weekend (and now it was already at page 3)
Old 05-21-07, 02:20 PM   #5
gbil

First of all thank alpilotx for pointing x-plane, I liked so much the demo that I ordered it already

Now regarding this issue I tested this scenario:

* DAOI - starting, taking off, and the turning in the direction of the rising sun brings the freeze

but didn't have any problem, now I guess that without the full dvd you don't get the 'heavy' graphics so I'll try testing again after I receive the full package.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 02:24 PM   #6
alpilotx

Hi gbil!

Yes, in the demo you get nothing compared to the "real thing" with global scenery. So I think, that is no comparison. You also need to make sure:
  • you have an 8800 series card (which we seem to have the problem with)
  • you push the setting at least in the region as described in my attachmen "rendering settings"
Old 05-21-07, 02:30 PM   #7
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpilotx
Hi gbil!

Yes, in the demo you get nothing compared to the "real thing" with global scenery. So I think, that is no comparison. You also need to make sure:
  • you have an 8800 series card (which we seem to have the problem with)
  • you push the setting at least in the region as described in my attachmen "rendering settings"
I do have a 8800GTS 320MB and have set all graph to full

Now I only need to wait until the U.S. post gets the package to Greece ...
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 05:36 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Hi guys. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I managed to reproduce the problem and filed bug 317652.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-07, 03:29 AM   #9
alpilotx

Thank you very much NVidia!

Now one question: how can we see/find out, when the bug was addressed in a driver release (whenever it will be)? Do you refer to the bug number in the release notes?

Thanks,

Andras Fabian / alpilotx
Old 06-12-07, 01:51 PM   #10
alpilotx

After asking NVidia in mail, they have answered me the following:
Quote:
This bug was resolved in the 100.14.09 driver which was released last week.
Now I have just made some test flights with the new driver (especially in the critical locations which could immediately trigger the freeze) and no freezes have occurred anymore (and of course nor are the any more NVRM: Xid messages).
So, thank you NVidia for fixing the bug!

Andras Fabian / alpilotx
Old 06-12-07, 08:56 PM   #11
Zzozo2

Thumbs up Re: 8800 series card + X-Plane = NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L1

Confirmed

Thank you.
Zzozo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 01:19 PM   #12
rturney

The new driver (100.14.09) stopped the "lock-up" problem for me, but now I've got a new problem. After installing 100.14.09, X-plane is now generating randomly-shaped polygons at a rapid rate. These polygons are in the field of view as you look out the ****pit forward views, side views and also external view (looking at the aircraft from a distance by pressing "A"). This makes X-Plane unusable.

I was able to make it stop by lowering the rendering settings all the way to minimal. Then gradually increasing the settings trying to find the point where the problem starts. Strangely, I was able to raise the rendering settings to extemes without the problem reappearing at least for a while, but then it would reappear.

I ran dmesg to search for NVRM errors, but none were present
I ran the nvidia bug report anyway (attached) and made some screenshots (attached).

I turned off Composite Extensions but got the same problem.

I tried the 100.14.11 driver and got the same problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xplane_problem_070107_1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	26538  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.tar.gz (33.4 KB, 108 views)
rturney is offline   Reply With Quote