Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-05-07, 01:01 PM   #1
ekostem

Default Fast GPU temperature increase in OpenGL

Hi,

In my debian etch I realized a high frequency, squeaky noise coming from my speakers while running opengGL apps like glxgears or glui example code.

After checking the gpu temperature I see a jump from 43C to 61C in 10-20 seconds (after that I kill the app). This didn't right to me and I would like to ask if this is normal or not.

cpu: dual core opteron
GC: 6800GS, I use driver version: 100.14.11

Thanks for your time in advance...
ekostem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 07:49 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Fast GPU temperature increase in OpenGL

The temperature increase is normal. In 2D mode a card general runs at lower clockspeeds, voltages and fanspeeds. Further big parts of the gpu are unused, so when you move to 3D the GPU will become a lot hotter.

The cause of squeky noise coming from your loudspeakers is likely related to your powersupply. A videocard consumes a lot of power (~100W) and drains the PSU a lot. The 'quality' of the current it creates can decrease in case of a cheap PSU (the current becomes less stable). Soundcards can be sensitive to this.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 01:02 PM   #3
ekostem

Comparing to windows, this is not normal though. I tried the same glui example code under windows and didn't have 1C / 1 second increment. This makes me think there are some issues with the driver. That was the reason I mentioned this here. (neither my PSU is a cheap one)

Whatever game I played max temp I've seen was 55C (with no high freq. noise) in my system.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-07, 09:31 PM   #4
ekostem

Thumbs up Re: Fast GPU temperature increase in OpenGL

Ok, I was messing with nvidia-settings and Under OpenGL settings when I check Sync to VBlank both the noise and the temp. increase is eliminated.
Old 07-07-07, 03:32 AM   #5
pe1chl

Of course when you do that the running rate of a program like glxgears is very much limited (for example from 5000 to 60 fps) so it is not surprising that the power use of the GPU decreases a lot by that.
I would be happy with 55C. My 6600GT GPU is consistently at over 70C even in 2D mode.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote