Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-07, 08:08 PM   #13
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
The receiver doesn't need to support the decoding of TrueHD. The HD DVD player decodes it and sends it out as raw PCM.
Okay, didn't know that.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:23 PM   #14
rany1977
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

The more expensive one is the one I was leaning towards in thr first place. I'll have to go out purchase it.

Thanks again for all your help, guys! much appreciated.
rany1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:24 PM   #15
nrdstrm
 
nrdstrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 1,677
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Another question for you guys, and it kinda fits this thread...What is the difference between "TrueHD" and "PCM" in terms of quality? Below is how my system is set up, and I want to know if it's the best way possible for the products I have. Basically though, what I want to know is, would it be worth me getting a new reciever/speakers just for "TrueHD" audio? I'm pretty damn happy with the way it is now...

TV : Vizio 42" 1080P LCD - Out Via Toslink to Logitech Z5500's
Speakers : (above, Z5500's)
Wii : Component to TV
PS3 : HDMI to TV
Verizon Hi Def DVR : HDMI to TV
Logitech Harmony 720 controlling it all except the wii/ps3...

So, to sum up...Is there a better way to connect what I have? Would it be worth it to buy a new reciever with better speakers? (Keep in mind I'm a bit budget limited atm after the TV, PS3 + 5 games, Wii, etc. so it would be a few months....)

@ rany1977 - Sorry to Hijack :P
__________________


On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:30 PM   #16
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Quote:
Originally Posted by rany1977
The more expensive one is the one I was leaning towards in thr first place. I'll have to go out purchase it.

Thanks again for all your help, guys! much appreciated.
NP, always glad to help. Let us know how it goes. I'm sure that setup is going to rock.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:36 PM   #17
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Another question for you guys, and it kinda fits this thread...What is the difference between "TrueHD" and "PCM" in terms of quality? Below is how my system is set up, and I want to know if it's the best way possible for the products I have. Basically though, what I want to know is, would it be worth me getting a new reciever/speakers just for "TrueHD" audio? I'm pretty damn happy with the way it is now...

TV : Vizio 42" 1080P LCD - Out Via Toslink to Logitech Z5500's
Speakers : (above, Z5500's)
Wii : Component to TV
PS3 : HDMI to TV
Verizon Hi Def DVR : HDMI to TV
Logitech Harmony 720 controlling it all except the wii/ps3...

So, to sum up...Is there a better way to connect what I have? Would it be worth it to buy a new reciever with better speakers? (Keep in mind I'm a bit budget limited atm after the TV, PS3 + 5 games, Wii, etc. so it would be a few months....)

@ rany1977 - Sorry to Hijack :P
I'm not even sure about the TrueHD part, but IMO if you are happy with what you have, it probably isn't worth it to spend a boat load of cash for a small gain. TrueHD probably does sound a little better, but I doubt it would be worth redoing your setup and spending another $600 or more. I also use the Z5500's as my HT speakers and I have been really happy with that setup. They are a great set of speakers. I have the PS3 hooked up to the optical, but I also have an HD-Tuner box, so I ended up buying an optical to coax converter that way I can hook the tuner box up as well.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 08:48 PM   #18
GamerGuyX
 
GamerGuyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kentwood, Michigan
Posts: 4,200
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
What is the difference between "TrueHD" and "PCM" in terms of quality?
TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are just lossless compression. For all intents are purposes they are both equal in quality to each other and to PCM. PCM is just raw audio data with no compression. The benefits to TrueHD and DTS-HD MA is that they take up less space on disc.

Now the quality can differ if let's say the TrueHD track is encoded in 96kHz/24-bit compared to a PCM track being endoded at 48kHz/16-Bit or vica-versa. Otherwise all three are equal with no discernable sound difference.
__________________
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. -[B] V[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]


[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 09:55 PM   #19
rany1977
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Hey guys, I just went to Best Buy, and found a salesman who actually knew what he was talking about. I purchased the home theatre and an optical cable.

Now I just have to wait for my HDMI to DVI cable to arrive. That's the downside when buying from eBay, cheaper then retail but a long wait to receive it lol. I can't to get it so I can finally watch some HD DVD's.
rany1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 06:35 PM   #20
smith20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Guys
Can you help me. I don't have a hd tv but will be buying one. My old toshiba 27" is ready to give out. Do any of you know if you can hook up a panasonic sc-pt750 theater in a box up with a tosiba hd dvd player and get surround sound? All answers will be appreciated. I like the fact that this systems is wireless.
smith20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-07, 06:07 AM   #21
Ruined
Registered User
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,447
Default Re: Connecting a HD DVD player to a home theatre system

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith20
Guys
Can you help me. I don't have a hd tv but will be buying one. My old toshiba 27" is ready to give out. Do any of you know if you can hook up a panasonic sc-pt750 theater in a box up with a tosiba hd dvd player and get surround sound? All answers will be appreciated. I like the fact that this systems is wireless.
Yes you can. It has an HDMI input, and you can try that to see if it accepts PCM 5.1. If it does not, simply use the optical input.

As for the OP, you actually could have gotten surround sound with your old system, it would have been the same surround sound you got with regular DVD - Dolby Prologic. This of course is matrixed and not as good as true 5.1 DD/DTS, but you would not have been stuck with 2ch.

In short for anyone asking this question, you can hook up your HD DVD player the same way you did your standard DVD player to your system. It has the provisions to be backwards compatible with any type of receiver.
__________________
We're all in it together.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 5 Software Blu-ray 3D Player Promo News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 05:30 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.