Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-07, 04:24 PM   #85
7oPd4wG

Default Re: Vista and Good reasons why it's just not needed. Yet.

I don't know why I bother to even say it but here it goes, When we all bought Vista we knew there would be complications just like XP had when it came out. Now whether it will ever be better than XP who knows maybe maybe not. But one thing for sure it seems for me anyway I dont notice any performance hit compared to XP my game still run perfectly fine. Yes I had the dreaded nvdll error too but I just read the forums and found the fix that worked for me that was just disable the UAC in Vista. No more errors since with any drivers. Come on people theres good and bad with everything some will never change to vista some will but its all about personal choices.
7oPd4wG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:05 PM   #86
Son Goku

Besides, if one looks at some of the quotes (yeah I finally did look at the first page after some dread); one's going to have games that won't require DX 10 for awhile. Well of course, but that doesn't mean that there might be no benefits where a DX 10 path is available. That also doesn't mean that an OS is to be developed to what is present today, without taking into account what one might be looking at when they upgrade their computer 1-2 years from now.

If Microsoft left some things out, simply because it isn't required today; one there could end up being little innovation as no support would be added until devs were b*tching and complaining that it isn't there; or people could finally end up getting new hardware, only to complain their operating system doesn't exploit it's features.

An OS isn't just made for today, nor is it supposed to be limited to only what one has today. If that happened, one could end up with an MS-DOS type situation, where for instance > 512 MB hard drives were on the market before it supported greater then FAT 16. Or one could have gone with something like DR DOS, though it was less known, and some reported that a beta of win 3.1 complained about it.

So if one has some older hardware, don't go out and buy Vista now. Given I'm running an Athlon 64 3500+ with a Radeion 9600, I'm looking at upgrading the video card, before I think new OS. This is in part also as I need a new monitor (old one, now 9.5 years old is progressively dieing), and now liking low desktop res, and LCDs having a native res, I'll probably end up needing to game at a 1680x1050 screen resolution, or something like that. Somehow, I don't think so with what I have

But it all comes down to priorities. It just so happens that Vista (which I did run in beta, and hence know how it had run on my system while under development) isn't a bigger priority then getting more RAM, and other upgrades. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be good to have some OS support down the road, after well I have a job, from which I can over-haul this box
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 08:35 PM   #87
CDE_1246

Send a message via AIM to CDE_1246

So it looks like Flukester was banned.

THANK GOD

He really was sooooooo annoying. Every fight I saw on this forum was originally started by him.

BTW, Vista works absolutely fine on my computer. I don't know what flukester was talking about. He probably made it all up just to give himself a reason to hate it.
CDE_1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 10:09 PM   #88
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDE_1246

THANK MOD
Fixed
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 10:29 PM   #89
Rakeesh

While I don't generally advocate banning, it did seem like flukester didn't really like this place anyways, always complaining about this and that. It seemed like he was on an anti-microsoft crusade than anything else. But we don't really need anymore anti-microsoft crusaders here, we already have plenty.

But like the typical hater, he will probably come back under a different username, pretending to be somebody else, with the purpose of continuing the tirade that he already started here, even though in the end nobody will care to listen.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 11:31 PM   #90
Hex
Oh smeg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDE_1246

BTW, Vista works absolutely fine on my computer. I don't know what flukester was talking about. He probably made it all up just to give himself a reason to hate it.
I was one of the biggest haters againt Vista, but I came across Vista Ultimate 64bit so figured I would just try it on my laptop so I could be familiar with it for work purposes but after a week I loved it and put it on my main too.
Installed flawlessly, all of my hardware went flawlessly, all of my games are perfect and I almost want to say LOTRO is actually performing even better.
Old 07-08-07, 12:49 AM   #91
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Yes, once you use it and get past the learning curve (depending on your knowledge, between a few days to perhaps a couple of weeks or longer) it does grow on you.

I had a tri-boot setup for a while, XP, Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu. I gave up on XP within 2 days and Ubuntu shortly there-after.

I do want to give ver 7.10 a go in a bit.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 01:39 AM   #92
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Vista seems ok (XP with a visual makeover plus some other small features) but you do have to have a dual core, 2GB and 7 Series card rig in order to get a decent experience. My poor gaming rig ran Vista ok, but slow (games were 2x slower than in XP). But the last time I checked, not everybody on these forums and others have monster PCs with the best of the best. Vista is still new and still needs work performance wise, thank God they didn't throw XP out the window yet. Get it?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-07, 04:13 AM   #93
radekhulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Vista seems ok (XP with a visual makeover plus some other small features)
I have noticed this on other forums as well - only people bashing Vista are those NOT using it (as they have no money to purchase it or obsolete HW). I wonder what makes them wanting to bash OS they do not know...

Vista is much more than "visual enhancements". Read this and educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista
My websites: [url=http://hulan.cz/en][b]HULAN.cz[/b][/url], [url=http://radekhulan.cz/][b]RADEKHULAN.cz[/b][/url], [url=http://hulan.info/][b]HULAN.info[/b][/url], [url=http://blogcms.com/][b]BLOGCMS.com[/b][/url], [url=http://www.megablog.cz/][b]MEGABLOG.cz[/b][/url] | [url=http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png][b]Games played[/b][/url] | [URL=http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.png][B]CPU-Z[/B][/URL] -- [URL="http://radekhulan.cz/img/stacker-830/stacker-830-bocnice.jpg"][B]case foto[/B][/URL][/size]
radekhulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 04:55 AM   #94
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

I have a nice experience with Vista, my hardware is not really new but with a decent Dual Core proccesor an 2 Gigs of ram, is on par if not superior than Xp´s experience, I agree with you radekhulan, Vista bashers normally hadn´t used it or have obsolete hardware.
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 01:06 PM   #95
glObalist
working as intended

I have used Vista and have nice enough of a hardware setup and yet I have to find anything to convince me to use it instead of XP.

After all, Crysis or Hellgate:London or any other DX10 games for that matter aren't out yet.

And all those fabulous features some of you have been touting here are either useless or can be easily had using 3rd party apps in XP.

Feel free to prove me wrong, just don't ban me.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 01:14 PM   #96
Hex
Oh smeg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
I have used Vista and have nice enough of a hardware setup and yet I have to find anything to convince me to use it instead of XP.

After all, Crysis or Hellgate:London or any other DX10 games for that matter aren't out yet.

And all those fabulous features some of you have been touting here are either useless or can be easily had using 3rd party apps in XP.

Feel free to prove me wrong, just don't ban me.
A better question would be why not use it?
You said it worked fine, had no hardware issues and that you will be changing anyway correct?
Would it not be somewhat beneficial to ...again if you are going to upgrade later anyway, use it now and get used to it?