Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-06-07, 11:24 AM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Compiz Fusion

Anyone here tried it yet? It just came out a few weeks to a month ago and it's pretty nice for eye candy. Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

I haven't tried it yet but I think I might try it today on my Linux box. Apparently, Beryl and Compiz joined together and are now one team. Can't wait to see what's in store for the future.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 03:08 PM   #2
six_storm

Default Re: Compiz Fusion

I just removed Beryl from my Ubuntu box and installed Compiz Fusion without a hitch. And basically . . . it rocks. If you already have Beryl or the SVN, it's basically the same, just with a few more added features. The reflections are very, very nice!
Old 07-11-07, 04:07 AM   #3
telexen

I made the switch to Compiz Fusion from Beryl this last weekend while upgrading to an x86_64 environment...it was a little more difficult to get running than Beryl (because it's from an svn)...but worth it. The settings manager is a little more straightforward.
telexen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 05:06 AM   #4
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Thats some funky stuff going on.

Does Vista have any of these capabilties?
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 05:34 AM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA
Thats some funky stuff going on.

Does Vista have any of these capabilties?
Functionality wise, Beryl absolutely owned aero. Multiple desktops in a beautiful 3D environment, the ability to bring every open app to readable thumbnails on a single desktop with a simple mouse gesture plus massivly theme-able eye-candy with excellent memory management. I'm looking forward to trying this soon.
Old 07-11-07, 05:41 AM   #6
telexen

Vista has *some* of these features, but mainly the ones that are smaller/unnoticed features of Compiz [Fusion]/Beryl. (example is thumbnails of minimized windows on mouseover taskbar). For the most part, Vista users should be very happy that Aero allows realtime rendering for a more smooth interface...but don't expect much more than that because MS just barely started working on it...this kind of thing has been in the works with linux for a while - I believe Sun started with the concept several years ago (3 - 4 IIRC).
telexen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 01:24 PM   #7
six_storm

Compiz-Fusion and even Beryl pwns Aero 10x. When Vista can do what CF can without raping your system resources, let me know.

It wasn't that hard to remove Beryl and install CF, but I'm still running Ubuntu 7.04 32-bit, not 64-bit. I've always heard that 64-bit was a PITA to get things running right on it. Any comments?
Old 07-11-07, 03:40 PM   #8
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by telexen
Vista has *some* of these features, but mainly the ones that are smaller/unnoticed features of Compiz [Fusion]/Beryl. (example is thumbnails of minimized windows on mouseover taskbar). For the most part, Vista users should be very happy that Aero allows realtime rendering for a more smooth interface...but don't expect much more than that because MS just barely started working on it...this kind of thing has been in the works with linux for a while - I believe Sun started with the concept several years ago (3 - 4 IIRC).
True on Vista, fwiw I'm pretty happy with aero, I just prefer the way those features are implemented in Beryl..er..CF now.

Old 07-12-07, 08:32 AM   #9
six_storm

Just a word of warning to those trying out CF. I've only had one "crash" this week while trying to tinker with the settings. When opening the Compiz Config Settings, it pretty much reset my options. Oh well, it doesn't take long to get things back to normal.

CF runs extremely smooth, I'm very impressed.
Old 07-17-07, 11:29 AM   #10
six_storm

One thing that kinda pisses me off is that if you hold your mouse over anything but the current active window, the opacity goes crazy! I guess it can somewhat be useful, but it can be annoying. Anyone else get it working for them?
Old 07-17-07, 04:30 PM   #11
carlos
In the fetal position

Where is the guide you guys followed getting Fusion installed and running on Ubuntu or <$distro>?

Can you post a link to a guide or something I can follow? I doubt this will work on Debian.
Old 07-17-07, 05:11 PM   #12
six_storm

If you have Ubuntu, then you have a Debian based OS. Here's the link I followed:

Compiz Fusion