Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-09-07, 12:03 AM   #25
GamerGuyX

Default Re: Petitioning for a BAN.

Save the drama for your momma.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 08:16 AM   #26
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekhulan
But what that really means is "average opinion" wins... Take 1 million stupid people, or 1 million "zeros", and let them vote. You will still get stupidity and/or zero. You will get Web 2.0 ;-)

Compare that to one genius... Single vote of a genius is always better than "giving power to the people" ;-)

"People" are stupid. Majority of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
well, based on a normal distribution, then the number of smart ppl and dumb ppl (compared to the average) should be the same. then again, nothings ever perfectly Gaussian, but you know what i mean
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 11:25 AM   #27
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlitchford
Mike has moderators for a reason. If we start calling people out left and right, its just going to make the place hostile. Report posts and send PM's to those in charge. I get your point, Picard, and over the last few months there were some gaywads that needed booting sooner than what they were, but overall I think the administration is doing its job.
QFT. I believe that the mods are doing a good job keeping out the rifraff, and if there is someone in the forums that is unruly, then we should notify the mods in a pm.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 05:08 PM   #28
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

MikeC isn't stupid enough to allow users to vote who gets banned.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-07, 05:31 AM   #29
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well this forum isn't really a democracy though. And TBH I can't really imagine a forum that was a democracy really being profitable enough to last.
I'd shudder to think what would happen if judicial matters all became a matter of a popular vote. Speaking of "mob rule"... Hell, even with our Republican form of government, they wouldn't allow this. And even where jurys are involved, the jury selection process isn't without cautiousness to try to assure an impartial jury.

I could see it now. Vote to see who goes to jail, and the basis of a crime decided by vote, rather then by laws. Umm, I think I'd pass

Nah, Mike C would want to avoid that (along with the sort of flames an open vote could generate), and for good reason.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 12:47 AM   #30
///MVinny
WSP Most Wanted

Quote:
As they say here in South Africa ... "Giving power to the people". Isn't that what a democracy is all about.
Yes, so let's vote to ban Hillary and export her to South Africa. Useless here, useful elsewhere.
- - -
Learn more about the "Religion of Peace":
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com
///MVinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 03:23 PM   #31
evilchris

If you don't like someone's posts, ignore them. People are such whiny wimps these days. Take the gang mentality elsewhere.
Old 07-11-07, 03:25 PM   #32
Capt. Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
MikeC isn't stupid enough to allow users to vote who gets banned.
That wasn't what I was saying. What I meant was that we should be able to SUGGEST who should be considered by the mods for a ban.

But in any case I retract my original post. The argument about a poll turning into a flame-fest was convincing enough.

Old 07-12-07, 01:58 AM   #33
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MVinny
Yes, so let's vote to ban Hillary and export her to South Africa. Useless here, useful elsewhere.
Could we add Paris DUI Hilton to the list, except send her to Siberia? If she hits a polar bear, she might not get another one. Not sure about the exact impact with a polar bear, but deer alone can cause considerable damage to a car; and in the bear's case it won't be a person.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 06:08 AM   #34
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Another forum I used to visit had a section where other users couldn't see any of the posts by other users, only their own. That way no other users could reply to them. If we could implement something like that here, that would work, then MikeC/Mods could keep track of "suggestions" without the flame wars.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 08:46 AM   #35
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe
Another forum I used to visit had a section where other users couldn't see any of the posts by other users, only their own. That way no other users could reply to them. If we could implement something like that here, that would work, then MikeC/Mods could keep track of "suggestions" without the flame wars.
Isn't that what pm's are for?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 07:34 PM   #36
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Isn't that what pm's are for?
PM's would work, except Mods would then have to sift thru the PM's one by one and keep a total, where as in the Forum area, it would be much simpler to keep track. Maybe even have a Sticky Thread at the top with updated/running totals. Like I said, nobody would be able to see the Posts except the OP of that individual Post and the Admins/Mods.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote