Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-02, 07:00 AM   #13
imtim83

G6-200 or anyone please tell me why i can not see a difference in those 4 pictures of quake 3 arena when anisotropic filtering is disabled, then on 2x, then 4x, then 8x? They all look the same quality to me. Even with the one with no anisotropic filtering. I keep looking trying to see something different with them but i can't. I even went into quake 3 arena on my computer on the same board but i could not notice a difference. I keep looking at those pictures but i still see no difference. What am i looking for btw? I am looking like in the far away areas to see if it has more detail which i believe what anisotropic filtering does is give areas that further away from you more detail then when its off. i could be wrong.

Thanks.
imtim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 07:07 AM   #14
StealthHawk

personally i don't think those shots were too great at illustrating AF. as for where to look, look at the space where the pad is, and the ground in front of it. the sharpness of the textures increases as higher degrees of AF are applied. although i see little to no difference in 4x/8x.
Old 08-21-02, 07:12 AM   #15
imtim83

StealthHawk i see tha sorta. I can barely notice a difference. But is that the only difference? Nothing else looks better like the ground, walls, etc. Plus it does not look much difference the pad. Heck it seems like to be AF disabled first pic and 8x AF last pic looks the same. Does AF only improve the sharpness of textures that are hardly noticeable inless you are trying to look for it?
It seems like turning on AF and FSAA makes such a small difference when i thought it would of made a huge difference in everything but i guess thats not the cause. I know FSAA fixes jaggies but i never see jaggies except maybe at 640x480 resolution which i never play at.

Last edited by imtim83; 08-21-02 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-21-02, 07:49 AM   #16
ErrorS

look at where the mipmapping starts.. looks like it's pushed back with the 8xAnis. filtering ..

and wtf.. maybe it does depend on monitors.. my A70 must kick ass
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 07:53 AM   #17
imtim83

I have a high quality, 19 inch monitor. Its a NEC Multisync FE950+ black monitor. A really good monitor. So i know its not that. I know my AF is working because i do get less fps.
Old 08-21-02, 11:00 AM   #18
G6-200

imtim83, save the no anisotropic and the 8x anisotropic on your PC and open them in seperate instances of MSPaint, then switch back and forth between them.
I guarantee you will see a pretty noticeable difference, look at the floor off towards the yellow armor.
G6-200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 11:56 AM   #19
jbirney

Ok these are old but here are two images of max ansio on R8500. They were taken on a fresh install of drivers back in early Dec of LAST year.

http://www.pc-gamers.net/jb/reviews/ati8500/q31.jpg

http://www.pc-gamers.net/jb/reviews/ati8500/q32.jpg

Sorry I dont have any thing newer on-line.

I own both the 8500 and GF4 Ti4200. Both are pretty good cards and both perfrom well. I have had no issues with either. Some things the GF4 is faster at, other things (like JK2 and RtCW) the 8500 eeks a touch a head. However the 8500 can not to tri-linear which depending on the game can lead to noticable mip-map lines. The 8500 also has an issue when things are rotated a 45 degrees on the Z axis. Due to a hardware bug it does not apply aniso. I have a SS shot of that:
http://www.pc-gamers.net/jb/reviews/...i_rot_SSSE.jpg

For FPS this is the only room that I have ever saw this issue! For flight sims this would be a huge problem.

In all I can not recomend either to be much better than the other. If I would have to pick only one....then I would probably go for the GF4 Ti4200 just due that is has bit more speed in UT2003.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 07:44 PM   #20
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by imtim83
StealthHawk i see tha sorta. I can barely notice a difference. But is that the only difference? Nothing else looks better like the ground, walls, etc. Plus it does not look much difference the pad. Heck it seems like to be AF disabled first pic and 8x AF last pic looks the same. Does AF only improve the sharpness of textures that are hardly noticeable inless you are trying to look for it?
It seems like turning on AF and FSAA makes such a small difference when i thought it would of made a huge difference in everything but i guess thats not the cause. I know FSAA fixes jaggies but i never see jaggies except maybe at 640x480 resolution which i never play at.
yeah, the ground around the pad(towards the user) gets clearer with 2x and 4x. what G6-200 says is correct. the best way to see a difference is to switch between 2 shots, the human eye is very good at sensing movement, so any differences in image quality should be apparent.

Old 08-22-02, 05:45 AM   #21
imtim83

StealthHawk yeah but i don't notice the difference with the ground around the pad i only see very little difference with the pad itself. To me AF 2x,4x or 8x is not much different that with it off. It just does not look different at all. FSAA i can hardly notice either. Even with 4x FSAA and the other FSAA options. I tried pasting images in mspaint then look at them but i could not notice a difference still at all. I took a shot of the same area too.
Old 08-22-02, 05:48 AM   #22
ErrorS

i dunno why but i think that is soooo weird.. the diff settings for anis. filtering seem to stick out to me clear as hell.. maybe less so on a GF4 though ..
Old 08-22-02, 05:58 AM   #23
imtim83

ErrorS its almost like even with AF filtering off it still looks really good the games. I could just be someone who can't notice a difference for some reason
I wonder if i would notice the difference with AF and FSAA on a ATI 9700 pro. I have a feeling i would not lol.
Old 08-22-02, 06:24 AM   #24
ErrorS

Quote:
Originally posted by imtim83
ErrorS its almost like even with AF filtering off it still looks really good the games. I could just be someone who can't notice a difference for some reason
I wonder if i would notice the difference with AF and FSAA on a ATI 9700 pro. I have a feeling i would not lol.
R9700 AF probably looks just like the 8500s.. with trilinear filtering though (better smoothing where the filtering starts) ..

R8500/9700's anis. filtering IS ALOT sharper then the GF4s .. however their is insane texture aliasing on 8500 some people can live with and some people cant..

i wish a 3rd competitor would come out with a card that does real anis. filtering