Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-07, 10:03 AM   #1
IFailAtLinux

Default Feisty -> AMD64 -> Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0

After installing nvidia drivers in any way(manual, envy, restricted driver manager), configuring Xorg.conf and rebooting my X wouldn't start with error from the topic.

Now, when I installed drivers in recovery mode(with 'telinit 3') my X won't start, I'll get black screen and freeze. I can't even get to console when the freeze occurs.

I have acpi=off and I can't really turn it on, because otherwise ubuntu(and any other distro I tried) will hang as soon as it loads.

More detailed information about everything can be found there:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442101
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (98.5 KB, 167 views)
IFailAtLinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 10:26 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Feisty -> AMD64 -> Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0

In your bug report, I see:
[ 32.029684] agpgart: Aperture conflicts with PCI mapping.
May 15 16:16:25 TheL kernel: [ 310.871291] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0xffffffff:679)
May 15 16:16:25 TheL kernel: [ 310.871311] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

This looks like it might be a kernel or BIOS bug.

I'd suggest reading here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 11:10 AM   #3
IFailAtLinux

Default Re: Feisty -> AMD64 -> Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0

Quote:
If you are seeing severe stability problems and you are using a Linux 2.6 SMP kernel on a system with multiple processors (or processor cores) in combination with more than one GPU, please search the output of `dmesg` for the presence of the message below after the system has just been started:

PCI: Using MMCONFIG

If this message is present, please boot the system with the pci=nommconf kernel parameter and check if the stability problems continue to reproduce.

If your system is equipped with a dual-core processor, booting with the idle=poll kernel parameter may improve reliability with some Linux kernels.
Uhh, no, I don't use Symmetric MultiProcessing kernel, and I'm on system with one processor...

Quote:
f you are using a Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernel and see the warning message below during the installation and/or in the system log file(s) when the NVIDIA kernel module is loaded, please upgrade your kernel to Linux 2.6.11 or a more recent stable Linux 2.6 release. Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernels < Linux 2.6.11 have an accounting bug in their implementation of the change_page_attr() interface that can trigger a kernel BUG(). The 1.0-7174 and 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver releases work around this problem by disabling use of the change_page_attr() interface on these kernels.
Umm, no matter what the messages are, I have kernel 2.6.20, so it doesn't really concern me...

Quote:
If you are using the 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver release and a Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernel < Linux 2.6.11, but know that your kernel has a working implementation of the change_page_attr() kernel interface function (e.g. RHEL4's Linux 2.6.9-22.3.EL beta kernel), you can pass the NVIDIA kernel module the NVreg_UseCPA=1 kernel module option to re-enable use of this interface. The 1.0-8174 and more recent NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases will automatically detect affected kernels and enable use of the change_page_attr() interface when it is safe to use.
Umm, I have much more recent versions than mentioned, so it should happen automatically.

Quote:
If you are using a Linux/x86-64 kernel >= Linux 2.6.11 and < Linux 2.6.14, please also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57990 for important information on updating the 1.0-7174 or 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver releases to work around a kernel bug in the global_flush_tlb() kernel interface function. If you are using the 1.0-8174 or a more recent NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, no manual update is necessary.
I don't use linux kernel mentioned above, and even if I did no manual update would be necessary...

Quote:
#

# If you see warning messages similar to those below in the system log file(s) when starting the X server or OpenGL applications, then please update your kernel. If the problem persists with the latest distribution kernel, then please contact your distributor and submit a bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. Please also read the section on Cache Aliasing in the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver README.

NVRM: bad caching on address 0x100362d0000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x100362d1000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1003be7c000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1003be7d000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
So, except for starting with 'NVRM:' those messages and those you pointed don't seem too simmilar...

Quote:
For any problem that involves instability, you should always verify that you are using the most recently released BIOS for the motherboard.
Due to this: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Moth...ProductID=1784
I have the newest(F19) BIOS already...

So, yeah, it's subtle way to admit, that either I don't understand what I read(which is possible, as I fail at linux) or I didn't do my homework before posting(but I did...).
So, umm, how did reading this was supposed to explain me anything? I don't know what to look at._. Come on, explaining this will be like 2-3 sentences :/
IFailAtLinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 11:27 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

This looks like it might be a kernel or BIOS bug.
Old 07-17-07, 06:04 PM   #5
SurturPain

I am experiencing the same issue (or at least symptoms), though without the agpgart conflict, and I have some more info to add.

First of all, my card is an XFX 8600GT.
I first tried installing it on a Fedora Core 5 machine with 32-bit Intels, replacing an ATI card. After running the ATI uninstall script (which seemed sucessful) and installing kmod-nvidia-smp from yum, I was greeted with the blank screen when starting X. I don't have access to the log files from that computer at the moment, but could get them tomorrow.

I then tried it in my home machine, which fits the OP's specs, Ubuntu 7.04, dual-core AMD64. For this test, I just took out my 7900GT and plugged in the 8600, then tried to boot. Once again, it hangs when trying to start X. I then restarted in recovery mode and ran nvidia-xconfig and got the same result. I'll stress that the 7900GT works just fine (with either config) on this computer though. Was it naive of me to think that the swap should work without modification, or what else should I have done?

I haven't tried the 7900GT in the Fedora computer, nor can I yet confirm that the same problem is giving the observed symptoms on both machines, but it does seem interesting that the symptoms span architecture and distribution. Is it still likely to be a BIOS problem if the 7900GT runs without any problems? In his Ubuntu forums post, the OP says he was indeed able to resolve his issue with a BIOS change: his AGP aperture was set to 32MB, and raising it to 64MB apparently fixed things (along with trying lots and lots of software changes). But as my cards are PCI-E, that shouldn't be relevant, right? You suspect some other particular BIOS setting?

The attached log file is from the Ubuntu machine after booting in recovery mode and trying to start X.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report3.log (131.1 KB, 151 views)
SurturPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 06:19 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

1.0-9631 does not support your 8600GT. Please install 100.14.11.
Old 07-18-07, 11:19 AM   #7
SurturPain

Thanks, works like a charm.
SurturPain is offline   Reply With Quote