Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-07, 02:36 PM   #25
Rakeesh

Default Re: Another "XP capable of DX10" report

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpaynez
haha less and less moving towards Vista now!! I almost feel bad for those that went and spent $599 for Vista when it first came out. I've seen OEM on newegg now for under $200.
The price for ultimate was $399, and the price you saw for the OEM is still the same as it was at launch.

Some of us, e.g. me, got two copies of ultimate basically for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
Get a job!
Higher end macintoshes cost a hell of a lot of money compared to their PC counterparts. You'll easily pay $1k more for a mac than a PC in the high end area. This is why he tends to use low end equipment.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 02:52 PM   #26
AngelGraves13

I paid for mine retail off Amazon when it came it and will never go back to XP. Since I installed the Intel microcode update, everything is nice and fast again here. I like the nice stability of the system. Haven't had a crash or bluescreen yet, unlike XP. Overall, a much better product at launch than any other version of Windows.

Remember when XP came out and nothing worked on it. there was little to no software that worked correctly on it. Everyone was happy that they stayed with Windows 98 or ME. I however loved XP when it came out. I ditched Windows 2000 for it.

I'll ditch any old operating system for a new one. Now all the people who still have XP are complaining that XP doesn't have DX10 and what not. They start making up stories like DX10 can work on XP. Yeah, I'm sure if they rewrite half the operating system...oh wait, then that would be Vista. Right!
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 04:52 PM   #27
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Right, but those don't have DX10 either. By switching to those OSes, you don't gain that benefit. So again, how is that forcing you to switch to another OS? It seems to me either you want DX10, or you don't. Choosing no doesn't force you away from XP. This is honestly the most retarded and petty talking point I have ever heard anybody use.
Wow, I can't believe you just took that seriously. LOL! I really couldn't give 2 cents for DX10 right now. I can't tell the difference in the DX9 vs DX10 Crysis videos that much! I'm not all about having the best of the best because I know I can't afford buying new GPUs every 4-6 months. Oh well, guess I'm not 1337 enough.

Anywho, once I can get a decent rig that is capable of games in Vista (intel dual-core, 2GB+ RAM, 8800GTS+), then I will upgrade and won't use XP ever again. But I don't have the money (future wifey, engagement ring payments, car payments, gas, etc).
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 07:08 AM   #28
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life
I paid for mine retail off Amazon when it came it and will never go back to XP. Since I installed the Intel microcode update, everything is nice and fast again here. I like the nice stability of the system. Haven't had a crash or bluescreen yet, unlike XP. Overall, a much better product at launch than any other version of Windows.

Remember when XP came out and nothing worked on it. there was little to no software that worked correctly on it. Everyone was happy that they stayed with Windows 98 or ME. I however loved XP when it came out. I ditched Windows 2000 for it.

I'll ditch any old operating system for a new one. Now all the people who still have XP are complaining that XP doesn't have DX10 and what not. They start making up stories like DX10 can work on XP. Yeah, I'm sure if they rewrite half the operating system...oh wait, then that would be Vista. Right!
heh i believe Vista was a full re-write
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 07:58 AM   #29
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox
I agree, Vista runs great on this system. My Abit AN8/4000+ with 2gigs of memory and a 640MB GTS that I use for school doesn't fair so well with it, I put XP back on it. My neighbor (the idiot that she is, wouldn't listen to me) bought a brand new computer from some chain store with Vista on it, sticker right on the non-vented plain Jane toaster-oven of a case claims it's "Vista ready"...... Vista runs like a herd of turtles in a blizzard headed up hill on that POS.
i have a older PC at home with 3200+ 1gb ram, asus a8n-sli board.

Vista works just fine on it, it uses for everything from web, e-mail, video capturing, basic games and video encoding.
Old 07-12-07, 08:03 AM   #30
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
But I don't have the money (future wifey
Coming from a guy that just got married, buy what you want now!
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 08:28 AM   #31
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
i have a older PC at home with 3200+ 1gb ram, asus a8n-sli board.

Vista works just fine on it, it uses for everything from web, e-mail, video capturing, basic games and video encoding.
I agree, but basic games would include Solitare, Doom 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3D and prolly Minesweeper. Notice I didn't say CSS, HL2, BF2, etc? The reason why is because those are my specs right now and I know for a fact Vista rapes my system, disabling my FPS. If I can remember right, I think that Vista almost ran my resources 2x as hard than XP does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Coming from a guy that just got married, buy what you want now!
Haha!!! Yeah, I'm working on that one. I'm trying to upgrade my 939skt rig to it's potential and getting my electronics fix before I take the dive. The bad thing is that we are both broke and have student loans/engagement ring payments/bill payments/etc so, that kinda disables me lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 10:18 AM   #32
hell_of_doom227

Vista needs at least dual core and 4Gb of RAM + Raid 0 HDD configuration to fully enjoy it. On top of that video drivers need to be sorted + fix SLI issues.

My next upgrade phaise is going to be Quad Core (Barcelona AM2 Socket) + additional 8800GTX card
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-07, 11:07 AM   #33
evox
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieros
Charlie "forgot" to mention that the video part of the hardware abstraction layer in Vista is COMPLETELY different from XP. MS could support DX10 in XP, but it would either be a complete rewrite of HAL, or it would be a tacked-on emulator that would have it's own bugs and suffer from the same context switching that chokes graphics performance in XP currently.

The audio and graphics parts of Vista are brand new, which is why the drivers for those two subsystems are the weakest. But, the new model allows for significant performance increases over XP. It's just going to take the driver writers some time to master the new approach.
Charlie D would punch a baby if it meant showing hate for Microsoft. that douchebag will never see the grey lines
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 12:03 PM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227
Vista needs at least dual core and 4Gb of RAM + Raid 0 HDD configuration to fully enjoy it. On top of that video drivers need to be sorted + fix SLI issues.

My next upgrade phaise is going to be Quad Core (Barcelona AM2 Socket) + additional 8800GTX card
you don't need 4gb ram, not yet.
Old 07-12-07, 01:01 PM   #35
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
you don't need 4gb ram, not yet.
Now way! The 32bit version wouldn't even recognize 4Gb of RAM.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 02:44 PM   #36
Vik1dk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieros

The audio and graphics parts of Vista are brand new, which is why the drivers for those two subsystems are the weakest. But, the new model allows for significant performance increases over XP. It's just going to take the driver writers some time to master the new approach.
I dont know about GFX drivers but im using the newest vista x-fi drivers on xp ATM and they work fine,
only thing that dosnt work are DTS and DD with digital out, and i dont use it anyway
GA-EX38-DQ6 | E8400 @3.8 Ghz | 2x2GB Corsair 8500 C5D | XFX 8800 GTS 512 | 2x WD2500YS(RE/sataII) | SAMSUNG S203D DVD-RW | X-FI(XM)| BenQ E2200 HDA | TT 750 Toughpower PSU(4x18A/60A combined) | Antec 900 | Logitech G5 v.2/Razer DeathAdder | Logitech G15 | WinXp x64 sp2/2008 server x64
Vik1dk is offline   Reply With Quote