Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-13-07, 03:37 PM   #1
|MaguS|

Default Fable 2 ... Combat System for Idiots!

Yeah so here I am watching the demo for Fable 2 and they constantly state that they simplified the combat so the game puts everything in the correct context.

It all looks good but in play it sounds retarded. I mean seriously... the entire combat system is based off a single button, either smash it for hack and slash or hold it down for context sensitive actions. Somethings sound nice like how he automatically changes his attack depending on the enemies relation to the wall but to have the entire combat system rely on a single button just sounds so blah.

I want combos... I guess God of War just spoiled me with its combat system...

Graphically the game loosk nice at times.
Old 07-13-07, 04:03 PM   #2
nVJoe

Default Re: Fable 2 ... Combat System for Idiots!

Can I smash the button wiff my forehead? If so.... I'm good.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 04:21 PM   #3
Lyme

Just wait until release, people will complain the one button system is too difficult.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 03:36 AM   #4
ajay()

I guess it depends whether it's overly simple or elegant and enabling. CVG (link - http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=168019) describes it as:
Quote:
Two especial points of interest emerged: first up is Fable's combat system, which uses just a single button (the blue X) for hand-to-hand combat (with magic and ranged weapons on the red and green). What's interesting though is how it's moved on since the original Fable, so that although you can play it as a simple button masher, more advanced players will be able to use a combo of rhythmic taps to pull off much more sophisticated melee moves or 'hold' to block and charge up power moves
Which kind of paints it in a different light, in addition some of my favourite gaming moments have been facilitated by pressing forward and A (Sonic ) I realise things have moved on, but complicated != better and simple != worse.
ajay() is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 06:00 AM   #5
Sectus

I watched a presentation of Fable 2 by Peter Molyneux where he talked exactly about the combat system. (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/804/804862p1.html)

He started talking about how all the older RPGs and combat games are just more of the same and no game has really stood out, and that he really wanted to try something new with this game.

At that point I was really exciting and I was expecting something really great.

So erm... you can button mash with your attack button to kill enemies, you can hold it to block, you can hold-release to do a power move and you can attack at the same time as enemies to do a counter move.

THIS IS NOTHING NEW! >_<

Button mashing, hold to block and hold-release power moves are absolutely nothing new. It's been done to death in other games. And that it's all on one button makes no difference, that just make it context sensitive and you'll accidentally do moves you aren't planning to do (for instance, how you do end a block without doing a power move?)

The counter move is the only slightly new thing. But even that has been very popular the last few years. Assassin's Creed has the same type of countering, Pirates: At World's End has the same countering, the Onimusha series has the same countering, the new Prince of Persia trilogy has it...

Peter Molyneux used to make pretty original games in the 90's. He must have completely lost it now if he thinks this "new" combat system is original.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 08:45 AM   #6
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Yeah so here I am watching the demo for Fable 2 and they constantly state that they simplified the combat so the game puts everything in the correct context.

It all looks good but in play it sounds retarded. I mean seriously... the entire combat system is based off a single button, either smash it for hack and slash or hold it down for context sensitive actions. Somethings sound nice like how he automatically changes his attack depending on the enemies relation to the wall but to have the entire combat system rely on a single button just sounds so blah.

I want combos... I guess God of War just spoiled me with its combat system...

Graphically the game loosk nice at times.
Man, I know what you're saying about over-simplification, but you really can't compare God of War to a Fable game in any way.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 10:48 AM   #7
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42
Man, I know what you're saying about over-simplification, but you really can't compare God of War to a Fable game in any way.
Yeah I know what ur saying but tbh, if Fable was more like GOW in terms of combat I might actually buy it.
Old 07-14-07, 12:35 PM   #8
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

It will work great. Fable was amazing, this will be too.

I am pretty confident about this.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-07, 01:27 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by delas52
It will work great. Fable was amazing, this will be too.

I am pretty confident about this.
Fable was good... not amazing. It had a decent combat system and a nice RPG system but was flawed by its short gameplay and horrible loading... why must the game reload if I take out a shovel....
Old 07-15-07, 03:24 AM   #10
Camp0rz
*BANNED*

Atleast they're not lying to us this time. Remember how complicated and intricate the good/evil system was supposed to be in the first one?
Camp0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 02:07 PM   #11
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

I love how people knock something to death when they haven't even tried it. Yes it sounds simple and hey maybe it is but I'll reserve judgement until I try it hands on. Fable 2, button mashing or no, is still going to be a good game. And to be honest, I get tired of games were I have to take yoga to learn how to contort my fingers or body to pull off some stupid combo move.

So I guess to each his own but it looks and sounds interesting, guess we'll just have to wait and see. That's my opinion but the game, including combat, looks amazing and I can't wait to play it.
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote