Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-17-07, 12:26 AM   #1
Corduroy

Default SETUP HELP

This is my first post and I'm a novice. I am looking to set-up my system but don't really know how. I've collected several pieces of hardware throughout the years and can't quite figure out the best approach to wire them. Below is my equipment and how I have it now. I know that it is probably not as nice as some of the stuff I've seen here but it's all I've got.

Samsung HD DirecTV
Emerson HDTV 37" LCD EWL3706 (HDMI port but using s-vid)
Harmon/Kardon AVR 5
Infinity RS2 Bookshelf Speakers
Infinity Sterling TS satellite surround system w/ sub(Currently using sub and 2 bookshelf speakers)

I also have a PC with Audigy 2ZS Soundcard no s-vid port

My objective is to get the best sound in an all in one workspace. I would like to get my PC to TV (and use wireless keyboard & mouse) but unsure how to do so. The HDMI Port is not functioning correctly so that is not an option. I guess my question is...

-How can I connect the pc to TV as my monitor?
-Should I use Bookshelf speakers with Sub /or Infinity Sterling TS system/ or Creative 5.1 speakers?
-Do I run each componet to the receiver or run everything(Satellite, DVD) through TV audio?

Please Help!!! Thanks
Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 10:13 AM   #2
Ancient
Occasional User

Default Re: SETUP HELP

What makes you say that the HDMI port is not functioning correctly? Using HDMI to connect to your PC would provide the best picture (DVI-->HDMI cable). You could also possibly use a component connection, depending on the video card on your system and if it has a component-out cable. There's also composite and S-Video, but you limit yourself to a 640x480 resolution with those two connections, which defeats the purpose of having an HDTV.

For sound, the best quality would be achieved by running everything through your receiver. I'm not familiar with that receiver though so I don't know what connections it will accept.
Old 07-17-07, 11:17 AM   #3
Corduroy

Whenever I plug the cable into the HDMI port(From Direct TV -> LCD TV) the picture blinks from no signal to signal. In other words, the Picture flickers. Any solutions to that. I've already called the manufacturer but they will only pay for parts. Labor is usually 95% of the costs, what a scam...warranty!? Meanwhile I'm stuck with shipping also.
Old 07-17-07, 11:25 AM   #4
Ancient
Occasional User

Could be some sort of HDMI handshake issue. Have you verified that the HDMI port on the sat box is functioning properly and checked to ensure the HDMI cable itself is not faulty?
Old 07-17-07, 02:16 PM   #5
Corduroy

When they installed the sat. box he tried the cable and a new box. This reallyt isn't a priority for me right now. I'm just pissed that it isn't working and have to pay to get it replaced/fixed. The cable itself would be pretty expensive in terms of what it is. I mean it's a freakin cable for crying out loud. I'm not willing to spend over about $10 for one. I guess I could buy and return but just haven't really worried about it. Before too long they'll be 3 for $1.

Sorry if I seem a little negative, just frustrated.

Do you have any suggestions on what speaker system I should use? Can I mix the Bookshelf speakers with the 5.1 speaker system? Will my computer speakers sound better than these. here is my soundcard

I found this on another forum
"I'm also the proud owner of the Infinity Sterling TS and i had been using up until a year or two ago. The setup seems decent, but i wouldn't say a speaker would ever go out of date. As long as it runs and could keep up with modern technology, i don't see anything wrong ie. (you could stick speaker wire in it like any other speaker and have it produce sound).

I actually do have the woofer unit that came with it. It never had oomph so it got degraded to a footstool. The only problem with the Sterling TS is that they are sealed and their low frequency output doesnt extend below 150hz, so it starts rolling off at around 180-200hz or so. Then to compensate for the lack of LF extension, you have the crossover on the sub all the way up to compensate for the Sterlings which could also create problems. Maybe thats why they included the woofer module, but i oculd never find any specs on the damn thing."

BTW I finally found a link to my HK AVR5
Old 07-17-07, 04:50 PM   #6
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corduroy
When they installed the sat. box he tried the cable and a new box. This reallyt isn't a priority for me right now. I'm just pissed that it isn't working and have to pay to get it replaced/fixed. The cable itself would be pretty expensive in terms of what it is. I mean it's a freakin cable for crying out loud. I'm not willing to spend over about $10 for one. I guess I could buy and return but just haven't really worried about it. Before too long they'll be 3 for $1.
You can get them for under 10 bucks online.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=58

btw, for connecting your PC to the TV, what video card is in your system?

Quote:
Sorry if I seem a little negative, just frustrated.

Do you have any suggestions on what speaker system I should use? Can I mix the Bookshelf speakers with the 5.1 speaker system? Will my computer speakers sound better than these. here is my soundcard

I found this on another forum
"I'm also the proud owner of the Infinity Sterling TS and i had been using up until a year or two ago. The setup seems decent, but i wouldn't say a speaker would ever go out of date. As long as it runs and could keep up with modern technology, i don't see anything wrong ie. (you could stick speaker wire in it like any other speaker and have it produce sound).

I actually do have the woofer unit that came with it. It never had oomph so it got degraded to a footstool. The only problem with the Sterling TS is that they are sealed and their low frequency output doesnt extend below 150hz, so it starts rolling off at around 180-200hz or so. Then to compensate for the lack of LF extension, you have the crossover on the sub all the way up to compensate for the Sterlings which could also create problems. Maybe thats why they included the woofer module, but i oculd never find any specs on the damn thing."

BTW I finally found a link to my HK AVR5
I see no reason you can't mix the speakers. Are they all 8 ohm impedance? I assume you want to use the bookshelf speakers in the front?

I can't tell from your link if that receiver has a TOSlink input (digital optical) or S/PDIF (Coax). If it has either or both, using one of those that would be the best way to connect the soundcard to the receiver, since it's a single cable.
Old 07-17-07, 06:40 PM   #7
Corduroy

I think I bought the receiver weeks before the started using fiber-optic digital stuff. I'll have to check about the other thing. You are a huge help. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Edit: All 8 Ohm speakers