thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

yup i think so, i wouldn't know, got some cheapo generic optical

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 11:16 PM   #194
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Along those lines, what the hell is the problem with UT2003? Is it me, or the game in general???

I have a Razer Boomslang 2000i (tried several optical and the Logitech dual optical... keep going back to my self repaired and "adjusted" razer) and that's about as high a mouse precision as you can get.

In UT2003 I play currently at 1024 x 768, and it seems like there's a minimum of 10 pixels between any two crosshair positions. No matter what OS mouse sensitivity, razer "on the fly" sensitivity, or UT mouse sensitivity settings (or combinations thereof) I use, this "minimum accuracy" is still there.

It simply kills my aim with any hitscan weapons. Not only is there this blocky mouse movement, but there's noticeable larger jerks and jumps in the mouse movement added to that. I've turned down all the detail I can to make sure my framerates are good, and they are. I have a reasonable powerful computer (AMD XP @ 1.9GHz, Radeon 8500 @ 285/285), and my benchmark numbers in flyby and botmatch are just fine. The framerates in the game look perfectly smooth, as long as I'm just running or strafing. When I pan with my mouse though, it's got that damned "blocky" feeling to it. I swear, sometimes one minuscle move of the mouse goes clear from one side of an enemy to the other, and I simply can't aim at him.

UT just wasn't like this. I hope they release some sort of fix for this, or perhaps I have some odd settings that someone can help me with.

While I'm back on my UT2003 rant, what the hell was the point of adding some built in lag (feels like 100ms or more) to an instant fire hitscan weapon??????? Instagib is pretty stupid if you have to learn to lead, added to your normal lag. The lightning gun seems even worse.

I can't wait for some "old skool" mods to come out that have weapons and gameplay like the old UT with the better graphics and more detailed maps of the new engine (notice, more detailed maps doesn't mean bigger or - and this seems to be what Epic thought was cool - more cluttered)
IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 06:12 AM   #195
StealthHawk

BD,

very interesting and useful info. i was actually thinking of switching down my res to 800 since everyone else seems to do it. now i don't have to put up with low res bluriness and pixelization

and no, i wasn't talking about mouse sensitivity, i turn up my sensitivity to compensate for resolution
Old 10-12-02, 08:11 AM   #196
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes

I'm not sure why they did that to the InstaGib SR BD. The only thing I can think of is that it was to suit some Q3 fanboyz, maybe trying to draw them to the Unreal universe. (Both the IG SR and the RL seem to have been Quakerized. )
Old 10-12-02, 11:09 AM   #197
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
In UT2003 I play currently at 1024 x 768, and it seems like there's a minimum of 10 pixels between any two crosshair positions. No matter what OS mouse sensitivity, razer "on the fly" sensitivity, or UT mouse sensitivity settings (or combinations thereof) I use, this "minimum accuracy" is still there.
Hrm, something is most definitely wrong. With my Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical, sensitivity isn't a problem in the least. You may want to try plaing around with some of the UT mouse settings. Check the [Engine.PlayerInput] header in the user.ini file.

Quote:
While I'm back on my UT2003 rant, what the hell was the point of adding some built in lag (feels like 100ms or more) to an instant fire hitscan weapon??????? Instagib is pretty stupid if you have to learn to lead, added to your normal lag. The lightning gun seems even worse.
Hrm, there's no built-in lag on my machine (with the demo, anyway).

Quote:
I can't wait for some "old skool" mods to come out that have weapons and gameplay like the old UT with the better graphics and more detailed maps of the new engine (notice, more detailed maps doesn't mean bigger or - and this seems to be what Epic thought was cool - more cluttered)
Actually, I think somebody recently posted one over at www.planetunreal.com, though I can't seem to get to the news archives at the moment (well, for weapons anyway...though there was also a remake of Deck16...).
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 12:18 PM   #198
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth

Hrm, something is most definitely wrong. With my Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical, sensitivity isn't a problem in the least. You may want to try plaing around with some of the UT mouse settings. Check the [Engine.PlayerInput] header in the user.ini file.
Yeah, definitely a problem, and a very annoying one at that. I've changed just about everything I can think of in my .ini file, and in games options, with no luck. It's as if the mouse snaps to a grid (that's the jerkiness I'm talking about), and the only thing that decreases the size of this "grid" and makes the mouse motion smoother is to use both a low OS sensitivity (set through the control panel) and a low in game sensitivity. In that case, the panning does become smoother, but it's so insensitive that it's unplayable (I don't have a desktop big enough to make a complete 360). Raising either to increase sensitivity increases the "grid" size... ++jerkiness here we come.

I did some extensive testing in UT to investigate this issue, and found that UT also has a "grid" size that increases as the in game sensitivity is increased. However, in UT the "grid" completely ignores the OS sensitivity set through the control panel. Therefore, I can jack system sensitivity, lower in game sensitivity, and get an overall high sensitivity with smooth tracking. This is impossible for me in UT2003, and I can't decided if it's only a problem I'm having, or something in general with their engine that might be patched.

The only thing left (which I'm about to try) is to swap my Boomslang from a USB to a PS/2 connection. Perhaps then some refresh tweaks and such could help out. I'm open for any suggestions though, as this makes the game quite unenjoyable.

Quote:
Hrm, there's no built-in lag on my machine (with the demo, anyway).
I didn't play much instagib on the demo, but I'll crank it back up and see if it's different than the full game. Yep, the same. I looked a bit more closely this time to see just what the deal is, and this is what I've gathered. The "built in" lag is small, as I've just noticed by playing "instant action" game type. Maybe 20ms or so, not bad, but not "quite" instantaneous. In online play, it's more like Q2 or Q3 where you don't see the weapon fire until the server has verified it, meaning that it's delayed by your lag to the server. This is normal, but I suppose I had grown accustomed to the sniper rifle in UT where you "thought" you fired it instantaneously, but still had to lead the target to account for lag. No real difference other than perception I guess.

I still think there's some work that needs to be done on their netcode though. I see no reason for a 12 person game where everyone is 150 ping or less to have numerous occasions of players jerking around the board, disappearing and reappearing, and me sometimes stuttering like I've just hit megalag. I have a friend that runs both a UT and UT2003 server on a high bandwidth connection, both powerful AMD machines, same player limit on each server. UT is smooth as silk, UT2003 skips and stutters like a one legged cat. Game patches, here we come.

BTW, anyone else noticed that there are some IP addresses you simply can't enter into the UT2003 browser when trying to open or add a location by IP? Try a few... it's almost like a puzzle you have to solve!

Quote:
Actually, I think somebody recently posted one over at www.planetunreal.com, though I can't seem to get to the news archives at the moment (well, for weapons anyway...though there was also a remake of Deck16...).
You just made my day! I figured it would take months for something like this, but knowing that there is something this soon, even if not great and not completely functional, is very exciting. I'm going to look for it now.

I guess it's no secret that I'm not real fond of UT2003 right now. I was an avid UT player (and a damn good one in low grav), and though I wasn't expecting the same game, I was hoping for the same quality of gameplay. So far, I've been dissapointed. I'm not writing it off yet though... the engine is still very good looking, and with some patches and mods (especially mods since they have supposedly made this process easier) I'm hoping for a great game in the long run.
IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Old 10-12-02, 01:58 PM   #199
Chalnoth

Btw, I was able to connect to the archive, though I couldn't find the weapon balance mutator.

Here are three Deck16 remakes:

http://old.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?.../deck16r-1.zip
http://old.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?...ews/deck16.zip
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?...deck16beta.zip

Seems like lots of people were really disappointed there wasn't a new version of this map, eh? Personally, my favorite that was never released for UT was DM-Ariza that was available for the original Unreal. That was an awesome map.

Anyway, I'm sure that that weapon balance mutator will pop up somewhere...
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 08:26 PM   #200
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Thanks for the links. I found some discussion of the Deck16 remakes, and it seems that there is one that is considered by far the best. I never was really that thrilled with that map... I prefer outdoor arenas myself since I'm a low grav junkie (have been since the Q2 days when we found one or two space maps).

I did run across a server that was running a map called "FacingWorld'sClassic" but it was down at the time so I couldn't check out the map. I'm going right now to search for it...

Old 10-12-02, 09:31 PM   #201
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Check out the Factory TDM server if you'd like to see what I currently consider the best UT2003 version of Deck16 in action (it's Deck16]I[ beta). It's got the UT2003 high-tech etc. look to it, but otherwise is recognizably Deck, mainly by the layout.

I'm not sure it matters though, since Deck doesn't seem to play as well for UT2003 as it did for UT (mainly due to the weapons / moves available in UT2003 that weren't in UT- sniper was better for deck in UT because you didn't know where the sniper was for sure, double jump gets you extra places in UT2003, etc.)