Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-02, 05:04 PM   #25
John Reynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by sancheuz

That then means that that person doesnt have a geforce3 therefore they should upgrade. I was reffering to those that already do have a geforce3 or above. They wont need to upgrade for a 4 to 5 months.
You're making a classic mistake. You're extrapolating your needs/wants and assuming they fit for everyone else. It doesn't work that way.
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 05:10 PM   #26
gmontem

Quote:
Originally posted by sancheuz
Jesus Christ people. I hope nobody got offended because of my comments. Once again, my only point and the only thing I meant to say from the beggining, is that if a person has a good video card right now, it would be better to wait till nvidia announces the nv30 and what it has, so that you can then compare it the 9700 and make a wise choice in which card to spend 400 dollars in. It doesnt matter if its 3, 4, or 5 months away. 400 is alot of money. If I spend 400 dollars, I want the best of the best and only the best.
I was under the impression that people should wait to compare the NV30 and the 9700, but buy the NV30 anyways because of your feeling that it will be that much better. One thing it seems you haven't factored out is pricing. By the time NV30 is released, ATI may have made enough funds from 9700 purchases that they can afford to reduce the price of 9700 competitively. Now it will be an issue of should I spend possibly $400 for the NV30 which may be only 10% faster, or should I spend maybe $300 on the R9700 with drivers which most likely has been polished by that time?
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 07:45 PM   #27
jbirney

Good point since you can allready get the R9700 for $365 on-line...

Like I said wait 4 months for a 10% perfromance increase over the R300 or enjoy better higher res games today.....hmmm
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 07:59 PM   #28
StealthHawk

Paper launch of GF256: October 1999
gfsdr->gfddr was more like 2-3 months
SDR Reviews: November 1999
DDR Reviews: January 2000

gf1->gf2 was 6 months not 1 year

Launch of GF2 GTS: April 2000
gf2gts->gf2ultra was more like 4-5 months
GTS Reviews: April/May 2000
Ultra Launch/Reviews(?): August 2000

stop spreading FUD
Old 08-21-02, 08:04 PM   #29
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine
But they are just rushing the NV30 too quickly at this point.
heh, that's a good one NV30 being rushed? it was originally scheduled to be out already
Old 08-21-02, 09:29 PM   #30
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk

heh, that's a good one NV30 being rushed? it was originally scheduled to be out already
Sorry to confuse you. If you read my entire post, I don't think you could have missed, but it seems you did. I'll write it again, in hopes you'll actually READ THIS:

The NV30 is being SERIOUSLY RUSHED.
It was supposed to be released this fall, but Nvidia was a little slow in the development arena, and TSMC is having serious yield issues. It has all added up to delays, delays, delays....

From tape-out to releasing the card- Nvidia is RUSHING IT LIKE CRAZY.

Try to enlighten yourself

http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/nvidia_nv30/

Last edited by PreservedSwine; 08-21-02 at 10:11 PM.
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 09:59 PM   #31
StealthHawk

i read you entire post. i was specifically commenting on that one line i quoted, but with reference to this, where it seemed you were implying they were trying to enhance NV30 to get it out the door and beat the R9700
Quote:
Don't expect too much from the NV30, it is just too late in the game for Nvidia to make it much better than they originally anticipated. If you really want a next generation card, and don't want the R9700, and don't mind waiting, a much safer bet would be the NV35. Nvidia is going to lay it all on the table with that one. Have no doubts, the NV35 will mean business...

But they are just rushing the NV30 too quickly at this point.
so, it was a simple misunderstanding, no need to get hostile.

the bottom line is we don't know how refined NV30 was at tapeout, and how many respins it will actually need to be bug free, etc.

i still fail to see how they are "rushing" it though. every single nvidia chip has taken about 100 days to go from tapeout to mass production, that includes die shrinks and new architectures, although as the article argues, nvidia hasn't gone with a radical new architecture change and a die shrink at the same time.
Old 08-21-02, 10:15 PM   #32
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Sorrry Stealth- I could have been a bit mmoe clear on the issue.

PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-02, 10:26 PM   #33
StealthHawk

it's fine. hard to communicate over the internet effectively ya know
Old 08-22-02, 08:12 AM   #34
sancheuz

Okay everybody, this subject can only be resolved one way. I'm going to start a poll. Go on to it it should be at the top of the forum. Thanks for posting!!! .. :-)
Old 08-22-02, 09:51 AM   #35
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Lightbulb

jbirney, your point is well taken- not everybody has the same wants/needs.

Even though that's true, there's still the fact that most people with a GF3 or better GPU in their cases don't need a new card yet. They may want it anyway (I've been there, that's why I've now got a GF4). But the GF3 would still run all current games fine, as well as be playable in all games I've read about through early spring of next year. That addresses the need side of the equation.

As far as wants, heck ya. I'd take an R300 (9700 PRO) right now, if I could afford to upgrade every single time a faster / better product hit the market. Some of us must be made of money, or at least have the proverbial moneytree growing out back, because that's practically what the fast pace of product launches/introductions and still having the absolute best all the time requires.

For the rest of us, it comes down to what can you afford in combination with what you want and what you need. Those of us with newer hardware (especially GF4's) might want to get the R9700Pro right now, but we certainly don't need it yet. As well, since most of us can't afford to blow $800+ on video cards each year, it's probably wiser to at least wait to see what the competition's like in a few months, and at least only spend that $400+ once a year.

BTW, this isn't saying that the nV30 is gonna be God's Creation or anything. I'm just saying that unless you've skipped the last couple gens of cards, you'd probably be happier in the long run knowing you had the best for your money's worth if you waited a bit to see how they all stack up.

However, if anyone out there wants to buy a GF4Ti4600 for $200 and donate another $200 (gotta include shipping on that $365) to me, I'll be happy to join the gotta have one of every card that comes out frat club.
Old 08-22-02, 12:02 PM   #36
jbirney

Snakeeyes,

I agree with you but I will leave it up to you when you say playable. Take SS:SE crank up every slider and the res a bit, watch the GF4 Ti4600 pull under 50 fps. To me that is not playable and that is on a "old" game. Also playing around on UT2003 has shown me that my 8500 is not fast enough at the settings I have for my own tastes.

For me I miss the V5 FSAA. I have tried every card since then and they just suck for one reason or another when it comes to AA. I thought the Matrox card would be good but its just too slow. The 9700 dose not use a OG pattern on its x4 AA so finally I can get V5 (well better than V5) IQ while playing games at a fast frame rate. I can not get that with my GF4 or my 8500 today. But I am gonna to hold off till it hit my magic limit of $300.00 before I buy a R9700....come on pricewatch
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote