Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-03-02, 12:42 PM   #61
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Unless someone here's got a REAL Crystal Ball.
How about a magic 8-ball?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 02:05 PM   #62
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

How about a magic 8-ball?
Does it come with a magic cue stick, so I can put it in the pocket when it's wrong?
Old 09-03-02, 02:13 PM   #63
Spectral
DJ Spectral

Those things always answer, "Maybe".

Such is life.
AthlonXP1900+@2100+, Abit KR7A-Raid, Radeon 9700 Pro (core370/mem666), 256Megs PC2100, 2x 40gig WD7200, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, KDS VS 19" CRT, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s, Creative 12x DVD, TDK 24x CDRW, 500Watt PSU, Win2kSP3.
Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 02:46 PM   #64
Falkentyne

Send a message via ICQ to Falkentyne Send a message via AIM to Falkentyne Send a message via Yahoo to Falkentyne

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
well, I'm playing every game I own at 1280 on my GF3 just fine thanks...even new games, so I don't see the point in putting down another $300+ for a vid card...

You want to have bragging rights, and have the cash to blow, go4it! I'm not gonna convince you otherwise, but I see no reason for me to upgrade at this time (especially now that I just dropped a huge down payment off on a car...)
I agree here. There's absolutely NO point in upgrading ANYTHING unless you are unhappy with your present performance in games, at your desired resolution.

Trying to run everything at 1600x1200@32 4x FSAA @ 100 FPS is a JOKE. You can't even read the TEXT in MANY of the games !

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectral
UT2k3 is a good enough reason for me to upgrade...

Whether or not you have yourself convinced, Ive gone from a GF3, to a Ti500, to a Ti4600, to a 9700...

And, there IS a big difference in playability of games. If you are content with slow framerates at mediocre IQ thats fine, but dont pretend its bragging rights.
UT 2003 isn't out yet. And we still haven't seen benchmarks from the STORE COPY, in AVERAGE user's hands, comparing the TI 4600 to the R9700.

Spectral, give me a break. If the TI 4600 is THAT bad, NO ONE would have brought one. Since when does the TI 4600 have low framerates and mediocre IQ? The R9700 does NOTHING for today's games except let you jack up the res a notch or so (or use AA at higher resolutions). And let's not get started about ATI driver quality, either (who knows how many games the R9700 has problems with, but UT is a clear example that problems WILL exist in other games).

I absolutely LOVE how whenever a new card comes out, the previous top of the line card "suddenly" has poor framerates and mediocre IQ, when just before, it had great framerates and great IQ.

It's a wonder ANYONE here is using anything faster than a Voodoo1, with that logic ~_~
Falkentyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 08:17 PM   #65
gravioli

After playing around with my new 9700, I can say it is a huge step above my Geforce 3. I can now play all my current games with the details cranked (4xAA, 16x aniso) at 1024x768 resolution. Of course the performance of my 9700 blows away my Geforce 3, but the thing that I have really noticed is the improvement in image quality in games; Colors don't look washed out and textures look much better with or without aniso enabled(note: the 2D Image quality is virtually identical to my Geforce 3). I haven't run into any compatibility problems with the games I play, thus I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. It was well worth the $334 (shipped overnight) I paid GameStop for it.

Edit: I changed "16 tap" to "16x" because 16x is actually 128 tap

Last edited by gravioli; 09-05-02 at 07:21 PM.
gravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 05:29 AM   #66
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally posted by gravioli
After playing around with my new 9700, I can say it is a huge step above my Geforce 3. I can now play all my current games with the details cranked (4xAA, 16 tap aniso) at 1024x768 resolution. Of course the performance of my 9700 blows away my Geforce 3, but the thing that I have really noticed is the improvement in image quality in games; Colors don't look washed out and textures look much better with or without aniso enabled(note: the 2D Image quality is virtually identical to my Geforce 3). I haven't run into any compatibility problems with the games I play, thus I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. It was well worth the $334 (shipped overnight) I paid GameStop for it.

surprise ,surprise i bought a Geforce4 ti4400+atlonXp1900+ , and i play all Todays games at highest quality settings too .. 1600x200 high details (aniso8x) with AA off! ohhh! what a big pain!!!!!
hehe! common $400 dollars to play with Antialiasing and aniso
all the way high very fast is not well worth for $400 dollars..
now if you have something like a geforce4

i can play with all details high an choose aniso 2x and atialiasing4x or something like to play at smooth frames rates in all today latest games.. like Quake3,MOH,RTCW,Ghostrecon,RUNE,jedighight and whatever
hot shooter you can name .. even i tested my Geforce4 in UnrealT2003 beta i guess what! runs flawlessly at high resolutions in most maps
,but in some exterior maps i need to lower to 1280x1024 High quality settings (aniso+aa off) ,this is really painfull and looks very ugly .. lol

Radeon9700 is a nice card with impressive performance when you crank AA+AF at max settings,but still is not really mature in drivers
or stability ,Geforce4 runs Great in any cheap Powersupply of 250watts! , and none game issues or stability issues,in non beta drivers something you cannot say of RAdeon 9700 ..

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...0&pagenumber=2

So any user who want to be beta tester of ATi .........

hard locks in Battlefield 1942
- hard locks in Mafia
- hard locks in Giants
- hard locks in The Thing
- hard locks in NHL 2003
- significant graphical problems in Medieval: Total war
- significant graphical problems in OpFlash: Resistance

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2...r=asc&start=30

and have money to buy a good 400 watts Powersupply($200) + $400 for radeon9700 +shipping and handling hurry up!! and buy the R300 .even i have seen post of users buying a new motherboard ,because their mobos doesnt works well with the radeon9700 , so add another $150 dollars,
that means you will need to pay at the end from $500 to $800 to jump on the Ati side . if you dont have at least a Good Powersupply

There is even a tread for Motherboards that works with the Radeon9700 .. HUH!!

CALL ME fan boy ,call me Nvidiot but something must be wrong with Radeon9700 hardware ,this is not normal. So as i said in another post ,if i were an ATi fan i will REALLY! wait a couple of months until im really sure there is nothing wrong with the hardware and i see drivers bugs quickly fixed and if you already have
a RADeon9700 and is working "FIne" ,i really suggest you to try
all games a watch carefully is there is issues in the graphics
flikering textures or "broken" smoke in some games or wrong colors like lately some users are reporting in RAge3d forums .the sooner you discover the bug the faster it will be fixed ..

its a Big Irony that the biggest complaints of ati fans
for years above Nvidia is their huge prices for video cards

Wake up guys!!! ,maybe ATi have done a amzing product in the RAdeon9700, is the faster card avaible ,but read this ..
ITS a very expensive product!! and still have serious issues with many machines ,RAge3d forums have huge list of problems with games and harware .

that is the most expensive product ever made in the gaming industry
if you sum all the hardware and stuff you need to do to run smooth this Card .. but like someone told ,you pay for what you get

Last edited by Nv40; 09-05-02 at 05:55 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 05:45 AM   #67
Nemesis77

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw Seriously, it's gonna be the same when the NV30 comes out, ZERO games will take advantage of EITHER card until the EARLIEST Christmas season 2003 (and don't say Doom3 plz, Carmack said GF1 can play it well).
Well, not exactly. Sure, GF1 will run Doom3. At about 640x480. That's what Carmack means: GF1 has the needed features to run Doom3, but it will NOT run it well. If you think that it runs D3 with good FPS, you are sadly mistaken.

And this "wait for NV30!" talk is just hilarious. Why wait? Because it will be faster than R300? What do you base that OPINION on? It must be faster because it's NVIDIA? If you are planning to wait for NV30, why not wait for the .13 micron refresh of R300? Why is the release of NV30 such a moment that then and only then you can make a decision between those two? Why isn't release of R350 such a moment?
Nemesis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 07:51 AM   #68
Spectral
DJ Spectral

Quote:
Spectral, give me a break. If the TI 4600 is THAT bad, NO ONE would have brought one. Since when does the TI 4600 have low framerates and mediocre IQ? The R9700 does NOTHING for today's games except let you jack up the res a notch or so (or use AA at higher resolutions). And let's not get started about ATI driver quality, either (who knows how many games the R9700 has problems with, but UT is a clear example that problems WILL exist in other games).

Youre absolutely right

Yeah.. I mean, whats the point of any company making any graphics cards now. Why in the world would anybody want anything other than what they already have... Thats like saying the GeForceDDR compared to the GTS was nothing... There ARE ADVANCEMENTS! THERE ARE IMPROVEMENTS! Jeez.. some of you people are sooo funny. I especially find your comment about how the 9700 does nothing except for let you jack up the Res and use AA... Wow, that sure does sound like better image quality to me. Funny how you dont think that.

ATI Driver quality.. Actually Im surprised in this aspect.. I have problems with GTA3, and UT.. well, not really problems with UT, it runs fine and actually a hell of a lot more stable than it did on my Ti4600.. I used to constantly get OpenGL errors in UT with the Ti4600. GTA3 runs like crap.. its all jerky and I dont even wanna play it like that. MoHAA runs fantastic, JediKnight:Outcast runs fantastic.. I really dont have any other games that I play atm.

But, I can run 4xfsaa and 16xaniso on at a nice framerate and I couldnt EVER do that on the Ti4600. Dont be mad at people because you cant afford new technology when it comes out... Dont deny the fact that there are better things out there then the card you just put your money on. It makes you look foolish.

Thatd be like me pretending the NV30 is absolutely no better than this 9700 I just got.. even though it most likely will be. Will I get the NV30 too? Youre damn right I will.
AthlonXP1900+@2100+, Abit KR7A-Raid, Radeon 9700 Pro (core370/mem666), 256Megs PC2100, 2x 40gig WD7200, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, KDS VS 19" CRT, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s, Creative 12x DVD, TDK 24x CDRW, 500Watt PSU, Win2kSP3.

Old 09-05-02, 02:27 PM   #69
Falkentyne

Send a message via ICQ to Falkentyne Send a message via AIM to Falkentyne Send a message via Yahoo to Falkentyne

I think you missed the point of my post.

First, why should anyone with a TI 4600 jump out and get a R9700? You didn't answer that.

Second: why does a "fast good with great IQ " suddenly become a slow card with mediocre IQ, when a new card comes out?

Maybe the V1 comment was idiotic; I should have said "it's a wonder all of us aren't using consoles".

And of course, the main point: Only upgrade when you are unhappy with your current level of performance. And I don't mean 1600x1200, either, unless you're running on a > 21" monitor.

I can see the jump from GF3 to R9700 being quite high and pleasing, so for you it was a great upgrade. But the GF3 IQ isn't "mediocre"--if it is, then the R9700 IQ should ALSO be mediocre, until the DX9 games start appearing.

I'm glad that you are happy with your upgrade. You coming from the GF3 (?) to R9700 is roughly the same as me coming from a GF2 Pro to TI 4600. But why blast other cards just because you bit the upgrade bullet?

Anyway, I would never buy an ATI card hot off the presses, unless I heard VERY good things about their driver quality. Only then would I consider getting such a card.
Falkentyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 02:38 PM   #70
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by Falkentyne
First, why should anyone with a TI 4600 jump out and get a R9700? You didn't answer that.
Not everyone should, but for some people the 9700 might fill a need or desire that the GF4 doesn't.
Quote:
Second: why does a "fast good with great IQ " suddenly become a slow card with mediocre IQ, when a new card comes out?
Because speed and IQ are relative terms, in the same manner that a match is "hot" compared to room temp water while "cold" compared to the surface of the Sun (yes, these are extreme examples, only to make a point... I'm in no way insinuating that the 9700 is the Sun and the GF4 is tepid water).

The image quality of the 9700 is better (the FSAA is particularly impressive looking, the filtering is sharper) and it is faster across the board, often dominatingly so. In many aspects, the GF4 has become mediocre.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 10:42 PM   #71
StealthHawk

well, i believe the case in point was that most people don't play or want to play at 1600X1200 where the R9700Pro really destroys the GF4 and stomps on its grave.

that said, in 1024X768 or 1280 the R9700 should offer tangible differences from a GF4 in relation to IQ and speed(this is with FSAA and AF enabled)

however, i would also like to point out that you are arguing with someone who said this
Quote:
Ive gone from a GF3, to a Ti500
Old 09-06-02, 09:16 AM   #72
Spectral
DJ Spectral

I play all my games at 1600x1200 when my card can handle it. Even the 9700 tends to not be as smooth as silk at this resolution in some games.

I upgraded from a Ti4600 to a 9700 pro... I wasnt upgrading from a GF3...

Yes, I agree with the match being hot compared to cold water, but cold in relation to the sun theory. The Ti4600 was the fastest, now its mediocre... Thats the way it works. Its still a decent card in all aspects, but now its only the middle ground where once it was the top. I cant believe you are on a computer website and you arent aware of hardware evolution.