Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-07, 10:49 AM   #1
ynnek

Arrow GRAW 2 (PC) - Feedback Thread

I just noticed, there's no GRAW 2 PC feedback thread here.

Weapons mechanics are totally different. Its much harder than GRAW1 now, but it balances out the weapons now. I'm slowly getting used to it.

Graphics are definitely a step up from GRAW1. The game is not just shades of brown and yellow anymore, especially in that multiplayer maps, cove and castle I believe they are called (or at least take place in). Can't wait for our mapper to make custom ones.

So far, single player, its a bit more polished.. I'm just in middle of the 2nd mission, and so far, I have to admit, the enemy AI isn't totally winning me over.. Although it did surprise me that after I killed one my camping around a corner, his buddy a min later, was smart enough to realize there was a corpse around the corner, and decided to start firing while rounding the corner.

Multiplayer has been great, at our Beer Drinking Assassins server. In the usual peak times (after work in US and UK times), the server is packed with 32 players, and unless you are just sitting in an really odd area, there's plenty of action.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 11:17 AM   #2
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908
Default Re: GRAW 2 (PC) - Feedback Thread

Neither demo really impressed me. One thing that did please me were the constant 80+ fps, but that's unsurprising with the lack of any AA. The "edge smoothing" does a decent job at a distance.

The style of game is just not my cup of tea I suppose.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 11:25 AM   #3
agentkay

SP was fun, I finished it on weekend and I played it for a week, total around 18-20h. Itīs definitly harder than GRAW1 and a lot more open/flexible for multiple tactics. It definitely has more replay value than the first GRAW as well.

I liked the graphics, nice improvement over GRAW1 but I wish I could have adjusted the LOD system because some objects (trees for instance) in the distance were fading away too early as well as the shadows, even when I maxed out the settings. Performance was excellent at 1920x1080, all settings maxxed out, 60+ fps most of the time. The game also has excellent sounds and animations and the weapon models are sweet.

I am missing the day/night cycle during the missions that was announced and shown a few months ago. Iīm not sure why it didnīt make it into the game but a day/night cycle would raise the replay value even more.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 11:40 AM   #4
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

Yea, a day/night cycle would be nice
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:39 PM   #5
Destroy

After playing through 7 SP missions on Hardcore I thought I'd post my impressions on GRAW2 so far.

First off, similar to Rainbow6, forget what the original game of the series was like and about; they have moved on and changed this game. Sad but that's life.

That being said, taking GRAW2 for what it is by itself, is a great game; 8/10. Only reason it is an 8 is cause there are too many bugs or issues. Tweak the AI, gfx and scripting a bit and this would easily be a 9.5 game.

It begs to be played carefully and slowly with lots of timeouts for planning and surveying. It is not intended to be a run and gun but it can be poorly played that way on easier difficulty levels if one wants to reload save games often.

Things I really don't like:
- scripted events are way obvious and as such, enemies can literaly spawn right in front of your eyes
- been said before but enemy and friendly AI isn't perfect (as the BOSS you gotta compensate, back track or baby sit sometimes)
- no FSAA
- popup of ground objects like rocks and grass
- HUD VR CrossCom window is useless
- not able to control Drone camera(but not a big issue cause only in 1 level so far)
- SP is kind of short, I'm on mission 8 of 10 and have about 12 hours in so far (days of 25+ hours are over I guess)
- drone, tank, artillery and air bombing support has only be in 1 mission so far

What's good:
+ AI does what its suppose to 90% of the time
+ GREAT satisfaction when you're maneuvering and tactical plan 'all comes together' and kicks enemy butt
+ a huge hurray for Quicksave
+ overall gfx are nicely done with fast frame rates
+ being able to command friendly AI from full screen CrossCom
+ crouching and prone (use it, it's a must) actually works very well for sneaking and stealth
+ levels are very decently designed with good, gritty atmosphere and convincing destruction/busyness (some later level are pure evil but oh so good)
+ crouching and stealth is key in this game which is a good thing and works pretty well (stand up alot and you will get seen and shot very quickly)
+ map editor is to be released (hopefully soon)

This IMO is definitely better than GRAW1 by a rather large margin. Many more things you can do and ways you can control or handle them=more fun.

Don't judge too harshly by the demo, demo is exactly like the full patched version as far as I can tell but the demo level (first level of full) is the very poorest and unfun level of them all by a rather large amount IMO.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:51 PM   #6
JohnDio

Just had the most intense MP fights of my life (in Siege mode). When there are good players in the server,the game is simply breathtaking. Loving it
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:55 PM   #7
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio
Just had the most intense MP fights of my life (in Siege mode). When there are good players in the server,the game is simply breathtaking. Loving it
Amen.
Old 07-23-07, 02:04 PM   #8
Destroy

Quote:
I must be goofy cause I tried the MP demo several times and just don't see the fun. No team work. No voice com. No 'General Commander' person with some sort of pointing system to control the men on his side sort of thing to plan a coordinated assault.

Everyone is just running around killing and trying to plant the bomb.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-07, 02:56 PM   #9
JohnDio

All of the players in the server i was playing this afternoon were simply great. Heck we were even communicating with the text messages. For instance in one round i went behind enemy lines (i was watching the backs of 13 soldiers which were camping and killing my teammates ). Your goal is to enter a zone and stay there for 5 seconds. So in order to win i had to be undetected. As i was behind enemy lines i was taking cover and watched my back for a spawned enemy. I reached the zone and it was guarded by one player. We had an intence fight and luckily i won,entered the zone and our team won. It was great
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 03:06 PM   #10
maxpaynez

Some of the worst vegetation yet...

[img=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6029/graw2202007070820000735tt3.jpg]
Shot at 2007-07-23
Old 07-23-07, 03:25 PM   #11
ynnek

Quote:
All of the players in the server i was playing this afternoon were simply great. Heck we were even communicating with the text messages. For instance in one round i went behind enemy lines (i was watching the backs of 13 soldiers which were camping and killing my teammates ). Your goal is to enter a zone and stay there for 5 seconds. So in order to win i had to be undetected. As i was behind enemy lines i was taking cover and watched my back for a spawned enemy. I reached the zone and it was guarded by one player. We had an intence fight and luckily i won,entered the zone and our team won. It was great
We increased the zone time on our bda server to 65 I believe. Its an awesome sight though when the teams working together and yours gets the siege zone, and the other side panics and just rushes to the siege zone, only to get picked off like fly's from all sides.
Old 07-23-07, 03:28 PM   #12
ynnek

Hey, I just noticed you don't even need the DVD in the drive when you play. What kind of copy protection does this game use? if any? I know you had to type in a cd key while installing..