Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-24-07, 07:28 PM   #1
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

Default Netflix reports first drop in subscriptions

Coincidence this may have happened shortly after Blockbuster announced its siding with Blu Ray?

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...37505820070724

Quote:
Netflix Inc., the largest online DVD rental company, on Monday reported its first-ever quarterly drop in subscriptions and cut forecasts for subscribers, revenue and profit for the year in the face of fierce competition from Blockbuster Inc.
Chief Financial Officer Barry McCarthy told analysts on a conference call that Wall Street estimates for fiscal 2008 earnings growth were "excessively optimistic."
Netflix has spent the last six months fending off a rising challenge from Blockbuster, which said it will spend $170 million this year to promote its Total Access plan. That allows subscribers to swap DVDs rented online at its stores for free and has become a powerful competitor to Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Blockbuster is still around?

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 08:31 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Netflix reports first drop in subscriptions

i was considering going to blockbuster too

netflix been getting on my nerves recently.
Old 07-24-07, 10:19 PM   #3
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_Like_ThaT
Coincidence this may have happened shortly after Blockbuster announced its siding with Blu Ray?
What does this have to do with anything? Most of the people renting dvds don't want or even know what blu ray or HD DVD is anyway.
Does Netflix rent Blu Ray or HD DVD?
Old 07-24-07, 10:21 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
both
Old 07-24-07, 11:22 PM   #5
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
What does this have to do with anything? Most of the people renting dvds don't want or even know what blu ray or HD DVD is anyway.
Yep, wich is why I am considering going to them. Blockbuster and Hollywood Video don't carry Blu-Ray in my area yet (have to go 2 cities away) so if they don't hurry up, netflix it is...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 12:22 AM   #6
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_Like_ThaT

lol, yeah because as well all know HD movies sales are huge! Get a clue. Unlike BB, Netflix carries BOTH FORMATS in their entirety, a better choice. They don't make the choice for consumers.
Old 07-25-07, 02:12 AM   #7
RussianHAXOR
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to RussianHAXOR

Oh and netflix dropped prices. Btw Blockbuster version of netflix sucks the wait is SOOO LONG its ridiculous, we had to wait 2 weeks to get a movie....
RussianHAXOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 06:08 AM   #8
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHAXOR
Oh and netflix dropped prices. Btw Blockbuster version of netflix sucks the wait is SOOO LONG its ridiculous, we had to wait 2 weeks to get a movie....
Yeah I am on the trial for BB online right now, it's sh*tty compared to netflix. Your queue doesn't come in order, at all. They'll just send you whichever one they feel like, even if the first in your queue is in fact available. In fact, I have 10 movies in my queue, all older movies so no reason why they should be all rented out, yet they just sent me the second to the last movie in my queue.

I had the queue specially laid out so that I could watch the sequels in order, but apparently that doesn't mean sh*t to blockbuster.

With netflix my queue was ALWAYS in order unless the title simply wasn't available at the time.

Also, why is it taking 5 business days between when I send out a movie, and the movie actually arrives here? That is a ridiculously long time. Netflix the max turnaround time was 3 days.

As soon as my bb online trial expires, I am canceling it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-07, 08:04 AM   #9
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
lol, yeah because as well all know HD movies sales are huge! Get a clue. Unlike BB, Netflix carries BOTH FORMATS in their entirety, a better choice. They don't make the choice for consumers.
I'm pretty sure the consumer had some say in it.

Quote:
The nation's largest video chain began renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD discs in 250 stores in late 2006, but it says it has found that its customers have chosen Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...00+_Stores/707
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 08:09 AM   #10
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHAXOR
It is probably the area. I always get a new movie within 2 days, (If I returned my movies earlier in the day I'd have one next day) but I'm sure there is a lot less traffic for them around here. The probably need to expand their services in that area.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 08:56 AM   #11
betterdan

When we rented from Blockbastards online it would only take a max of 3 days to get there.
Old 07-25-07, 10:39 AM   #12
Medion

We tried the Netflix trial. First thing we rented was Deadzone season 2 (we already owned Season 1). They sent us disc 4 first. We called and asked why, and they said that the first 3 discs were not available. We said "it's a season, not a movie, if you don't have the discs in order, skip to one of our movie choices).
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote