Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-26-07, 09:35 AM   #1
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Philips HTS6500

Well, my older Philips home theater died yesterday. I got a TON of use out of it and i didnt mind that it passed on. So, I head out in search of another home theater and I come across this HTS6500. Now, I'm old school and I sleep better at night knowing that my 5.1 audio is coming from 5.1 speakers; and this HTS6500 is one of those 2.1 systems that fools your ear into hearing 5.1. For me, the biggest selling point was less wires all over my house, and the HMDI upconversion for my LCD TV. It also helped that this system is 1000 W and my old one was 450 W.

I bring it home, and seriously, it took 10 minutes to hook it up. Old school type home theaters took a whole afternoon, so I was already pleased. Then, I turn it on and quickly update the firmware. Then I toss in Tom Cruise War of the Worlds, and go to the scene where the machine first comes out of the ground and starts zapping everyone.

one word... WOW. The clarity was the first thing I noticed. the ambient noises of the film were much more a part of the movie than ever before. Keeping in mind that I am a 100% audiophile, I was impressed. Next thing was the odd sensation of hearing sounds from behind me and on the sides of me and knowing that there were no speakers there. Extremely odd, but once I told myself to stop thinking about the non-speakers at my sides, I really was amazed at how well the virtual speakers sounded.

I'll post more information later today Gotta get some work done.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 07:26 PM   #2
nrdstrm

Default Re: Philips HTS6500

How much did those run? Do they have a 5.1 version? How much is that? How would they compare to Logitech Z5500s? Is that wattage RMS or Peak? Sorry for all the ?'s, but I'm starting a better job soon so in a month or 3 I'll have more money...I had a cheezy DVD/Surround Sound System (Panasonic)...When I got my new TV, I ripped that out and put up the 5500's (they were laying around in a box, so I figured why not...They have to be better than the Panasonic (wich of course they are....) Anyway, thanks for the info if ya get a chance!

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 09:37 AM   #3
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Philips HTS6500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
How much did those run? Do they have a 5.1 version? How much is that? How would they compare to Logitech Z5500s? Is that wattage RMS or Peak? Sorry for all the ?'s, but I'm starting a better job soon so in a month or 3 I'll have more money...I had a cheezy DVD/Surround Sound System (Panasonic)...When I got my new TV, I ripped that out and put up the 5500's (they were laying around in a box, so I figured why not...They have to be better than the Panasonic (wich of course they are....) Anyway, thanks for the info if ya get a chance!

they cost $248.

no 5.1 version as your thinking of it. but thats the idea here, it's true 5.1, i jst dont have to put speakers/wires all over my house. the CPU in the unit takes the 5.1, and adjusts the shape of the sound wave so when you ehar it, it seems as if its coming from rear speakers. i watched Mars Attacks last night and it works great. It kicks the crap out my older Philips that I had before.

i dont know how they compare to your logi's cause i have never used or heard those.

RMS total is 500W. 4x75W and 2x100W. it's LOUD. in my house i could only watch Mars Attacks at 15 out of 50, and it was blowing my ears away.

if you are in the market for a enw setup, before you commit, run to circuit city or walmart and listen to them. I will recommend them, but thats my ears. your ears my hear something completely different. That being said, i love mine. It sounds amazing and the clarity is still ming boggling.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote