Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-07, 09:34 PM   #1
garry.peters

Default Xinerama and latest driver - Quad Display - Compiz

Hi All

I've read around the forums and because this seems to be changing even as late as the latest driver I wonder if anyone can give me an 'up to date' answer possibly.

I have a Quad Monitor 2450 setup using 2 x Quadro FX 3450's to drive them.

Xinerama works fine when using the displays in 'normal' mode with 100.14.11 driver and indeed I can move apps from display to display with no problems.

I tried Compiz a while back and gave up because of the conflict between Compiz and Xinerama ....I read somewhere (can't find it now of course) that the latest driver didn't require - options "xinerama" "1" - anymore so thought I'd try the latest flavour of compiz fusion to see if I could get it working now. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the RandR error that I seem to remember was the original problem.

So my question is a simple one (but in two parts)

Do I still NEED to have xinerama explicity enabled in xorg.conf for it to work or is there a way that xinerama (or the same functionality) is enabled automagically in the driver now? Does Compiz Fusion still conflict with xinerama (if explicitly enabled) or is there a way of getting Compiz Fusion to work across four displays and two cards (I realise that question may be better aimed at the Compiz Fusion forum but it's equally as confusing there as here!!).

I would have hoped that about a year after I last tried it the driver/application would now enable this functionality, but at least I'm glad that the Compiz forks have re-merged. (p.s I know that Beryl could get what I wanted working at some point....but I wanted to remain as mainstream as possible and still do).
garry.peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 04:06 AM   #2
JaXXoN

Default Re: Xinerama and latest driver - Quad Display - Compiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.peters
I read somewhere (can't find it now of course) that the latest driver didn't require - options "xinerama" "1"
I guess it would technically be possible to create a graphics device
driver that combines two physical cards into one "logical" card
(similar to xinerama, but on driver level). However, i havn't
read or heard that the nvidia driver has been modified accordingly.

Concerning XRand, i have created a patch that makes beryl not using it,
but the WM crashes at certain point. For details, please check
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85604
(i guess the patch could be adopted for Compiz)

Also, with a quad-monitor setup, you may have the problem that
the screen is wider than 4096 pixel and the 3D-WM couldn't operate
with a i.e. 4 x 1600x1200 setup. In theory, this is not a problem for
8000 series cards, but i made a different experience:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93345

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 06:02 AM   #3
garry.peters

Default Re: Xinerama and latest driver - Quad Display - Compiz

Hi Bernard and thanks for the reply.

I won't be wider then 4096 as I have them set up in a 2x2 arrangement so in effect they are set up on a 3840x2400 arrangement (seperately I have an IBM T221 that does native 3840x2400 and Compiz works on there - well sort of if it doesn't lock up, but that's being driven by one card).

I saw your patch and thought about trying it but I'm running 1.3 version of the server and don't want to break something else!

The problem, for me, with tinkering with this stuff is that the development is in three main areas, the driver, Xorg and Compiz and even if I can get it working today the likelyhood is the next component upgrade will break it all again!!

Anyway it looks like a working solution is getting close hopefully?

P
garry.peters is offline   Reply With Quote