Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-07, 10:23 PM   #25
evilghost

Default Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Thought/Rant

Exactly. It's all crap. I need the comforting snuggling of pseudo-security and the whispers in my ear telling me dont' worry about the source code, it's secure, it's the most secure version of Windows ever. It never has bothered me that file copy takes 10 times longer or the entire system is intrinsically unstable and bloated.

I've been the horses ass for too long now, Microsoft is in! Can someone paypal me some cash so I can pony up for Vista Super-Duper Edition?
Old 07-31-07, 10:33 PM   #26
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Oh my I love this place! You guys always have me rolling on the laughing floor.

My experience with Vista 64 has been great so far. No performance issues. iTunes while slow to start runs great otherwise. The native 64 apps, like IE and WMP and lightning fast compared to their 32 brothers. 64 gaming on the other hand has been less than stellar. Far Cry 64bit crashes frequently. HL2 64bit runs like a dog.
Old 07-31-07, 10:42 PM   #27
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Oh my I love this place! You guys always have me rolling on the laughing floor.

My experience with Vista 64 has been great so far. No performance issues. iTunes while slow to start runs great otherwise. The native 64 apps, like IE and WMP and lightning fast compared to their 32 brothers. 64 gaming on the other hand has been less than stellar. Far Cry 64bit crashes frequently. HL2 64bit runs like a dog.
It's funny because I looked at the Start Menu and noticed there was Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer (64-bit) side by side. There's no speed difference whatsoever I found, so I just rebooted into Ubuntu. Feels good to have some speed sometimes hehe.
Old 07-31-07, 10:51 PM   #28
crainger

LOL

You are so on your way to an oldsk00l breakdown...
Old 07-31-07, 11:08 PM   #29
Rummy

Quote:
HL2 64bit runs like a dog.
ruff ruff
Old 07-31-07, 11:25 PM   #30
six_storm

Quote:
LOL

You are so on your way to an oldsk00l breakdown...
Me? Nah . . . just ranting a little bit.
Old 08-01-07, 12:20 AM   #31
crainger

Oh it always starts as "Just a Rant"
Old 08-01-07, 08:31 AM   #32
six_storm

Quote:
Oh it always starts as "Just a Rant"
I've been ranting about Windows for quite a while now . . .

Old 08-01-07, 08:46 AM   #33
evilghost

I'm actually willing to switch to Windows since it seems to be so awesome. So, here's my list of things I need. Since my current cash outflow has been $0 since it's GNU/GPL/BSD/Apache licensed I need to start saving now.

I need:

* IMAP/POP3 mailserver with STARTTLS and SSL support that will support a self-signed server certificate like Dovecot.
* SMTP mail server which will support STARTTLS and will support a self-signed server certificate like Postfix.
* Anti-Spam engine that will support SPF, SLS, SURBL, Greylisting, Tarpitting, DNS PTR lookup/blocking, and more like SpamAssassin.
* Webserver with support for a scripting, Apache is out of the question since it's not made by Microsoft. I'll need similar functionality as provided by mod_evasive, mod_chroot, mod_deflate, mod_security, and mod_dav.
* Image manipulation similar to the GD library in PHP allowing the resampling of images and an EXIF preservation mechanism.
* Caching DNS name server like BIND9
* Caching HTTP/HTTPS proxy server like SQUID.
* Video manipulation program like Kino/DVGrab so I can capture and convert DV video to DVD.
* Database Server since MySQL isn't made by Microsoft, I'd likely only need a 20 license CAL, I don't believe I can afford a processor license for SQL Server 2005.
* Antivirus since I'm running Win32 now.
* Stateful firewall like iptables with support for multiple chains, logging, CIDR ranges, IP ranges, and tagging.
* QoS traffic shaping to effectively utilize my asymmetric static IP over DSL line.

Radekhulan since you seem to be so heavily influenced by Microsoft perhaps you can tally up the cost for Exchange Server 2005/2007, MS SQL Server 2005, Microsoft Server 2003, Microsoft ISA Server, and I guess I'll need a copy of Vista for Movie Maker. I'm probably looking at about $10K to replicate what I currently have now as well as to take a performance hit and accept vendor lock-in.

Since Linux is inferior I'm curious about Microsoft's product offerings for QoS and firewall support per my requirements above.
Old 08-01-07, 08:49 AM   #34
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
What does market penetration have to do with performance, and, have you seen the Netcraft survey results? Even the Microsoft apologists will concede that Linux/Unix has the server market.

In one post you say how Vista doesn't run on 1GB of RAM and in another you tout performance benefits of Apache/PHP on an inferior OS.

Honestly, how much does Microsoft pay you?

He said penetration
Old 08-01-07, 09:12 AM   #35
Q

Vista 64 ran great for me on a 4800X2 with 2GB of ram.

Vista 64 ran like dog turds on a Q6600 with 4GB of ram.

Newest chipset drivers on both builds. The biggest problem was that my Realtek onboard NIC's 64bit drivers had a flaw for 4 versions (the one STILL on Windows Update) that corrupts all network traffic. This was only on the new Intel board, though. Heads up to anyone with my MOBO.
Old 08-01-07, 09:54 AM   #36
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlitchford
Vista 64 ran great for me on a 4800X2 with 2GB of ram.

Vista 64 ran like dog turds on a Q6600 with 4GB of ram.

Newest chipset drivers on both builds. The biggest problems was that my Realtek onboard NIC's 64bit drivers had a flaw for 4 versions (the one STILL on Windows Update) that corrupts all network traffic. Heads up to anyone with my MOBO.
That's weird. I did have one other rant to include. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver but Windows Update kept popping up and telling me that I needed to download and install the driver for my 7600GT. WTF? I'm pretty sure that Vista Ultimate x64 is coming off my PC today and I'm going to set up a RAID 0 for Ubuntu and Windows Vista Business.

evilghost: Sorry bro, I don't have any money to fund your Windows transistion! :P
Closed Thread