Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-07, 09:21 AM   #37
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Thought/Rant

So I installed Vista Business on my RAID 0 and it's just so much faster than 64-bit Ultimate. The only problem is that I can't get a few Trackmania demos to run. I'm still working on installing Ubuntu too . . .
Old 08-02-07, 01:54 PM   #38
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
So I installed Vista Business on my RAID 0 and it's just so much faster than 64-bit Ultimate. The only problem is that I can't get a few Trackmania demos to run. I'm still working on installing Ubuntu too . . .
Installed Ultimate x64 just a couple days ago on my new Samsong hard drive- and loving it. Haven't booted back into XP at all since installing Vista.

Six, we need to start a fund raiser to get you a better rig!
Old 08-02-07, 02:16 PM   #39
Rakeesh

Why not install osx86 on that rig?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 08-02-07, 02:55 PM   #40
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Why not install osx86 on that rig?

You just had to, didn't you?
Old 08-02-07, 03:18 PM   #41
vandalous
UN Spacy Pwnz Me

Send a message via AIM to vandalous Send a message via MSN to vandalous Send a message via Yahoo to vandalous

I haven't had any compatibility issues with Vista Ult x64 other than some really old games, like TIE Fighter CD-ROM edition. That's why I dual-boot: XP x86 for TIE Fighter, Vista for everything else.
NZXT Rogue (red) mATX case | Intel QX9550 ES @ 3000 (9x333) | ASUS P5E-VM HDMI | 4 GB Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 (OC:1066, 5-5-12-2T) | BFG 8800GTX OC | Lite-On LH-20A1H186C Lightscribe DVDRW | Corsair VX550 PSU | Medusa 5.1 Headphones | Logitech G9 mouse & G15 v2 KB | Westinghouse L2410NM + Dell 1907FP | Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
Old 08-02-07, 03:26 PM   #42
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalous
I haven't had any compatibility issues with Vista Ult x64 other than some really old games, like TIE Fighter CD-ROM edition. That's why I dual-boot: XP x86 for TIE Fighter, Vista for everything else.
Just got my dual-boot setup a few days ago. But since I installed Vista I haven't loaded into XP once. Games are running great so far in Vista. Not a single complaint.
Old 08-02-07, 03:53 PM   #43
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Installed Ultimate x64 just a couple days ago on my new Samsong hard drive- and loving it. Haven't booted back into XP at all since installing Vista.

Six, we need to start a fund raiser to get you a better rig!
That's a wonderful idea! Everybody just needs to send like $15-$20 my way and then I would have a nice, new rig!!!!

I really haven't used Vista since mid-May and I'd have to say that the drivers have gotten way better since then. CSS is getting better FPS than XP for once (I was floored when I saw 119 vs 94 in XP) and while in RAID 0, everything is decently snappy.

Alpha: Haha, too bad the drivers for that would suck. My iMac runs OSX just fine.
Old 08-02-07, 08:17 PM   #44
nvnews-reader

How much memory does Vista x64 use on your system? I've been running Vista x64 for a month or two now with 2GB of memory installed and it only uses around 700-800MB without any programs running.

Is there a way to force it to use more memory? Thanks

Old 08-05-07, 06:30 PM   #45
JasonPC

Force it to use more memory? Why would you want that. Well, in a way it already does. Superfetch caches all the remaining ram. Go into task manager and look under performance and you will see that most of the remaining ram is cached and only a very small amount (sometimes none) is unoccupied.
Old 08-05-07, 10:22 PM   #46
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
* IMAP/POP3 mailserver with STARTTLS and SSL support that will support a self-signed server certificate like Dovecot.
* SMTP mail server which will support STARTTLS and will support a self-signed server certificate like Postfix.
* Anti-Spam engine that will support SPF, SLS, SURBL, Greylisting, Tarpitting, DNS PTR lookup/blocking, and more like SpamAssassin.
* Webserver with support for a scripting, Apache is out of the question since it's not made by Microsoft. I'll need similar functionality as provided by mod_evasive, mod_chroot, mod_deflate, mod_security, and mod_dav.
* Image manipulation similar to the GD library in PHP allowing the resampling of images and an EXIF preservation mechanism.
* Caching DNS name server like BIND9
* Caching HTTP/HTTPS proxy server like SQUID.
* Video manipulation program like Kino/DVGrab so I can capture and convert DV video to DVD.
* Database Server since MySQL isn't made by Microsoft, I'd likely only need a 20 license CAL, I don't believe I can afford a processor license for SQL Server 2005.
* Antivirus since I'm running Win32 now.
* Stateful firewall like iptables with support for multiple chains, logging, CIDR ranges, IP ranges, and tagging.
* QoS traffic shaping to effectively utilize my asymmetric static IP over DSL line.
Are you trying to run a desktop for home use or are you running a multipurpose server for linuxgeeks.com with an SQL database for storing all 1,000 of their names and addresses and their forum posts, while at the same time hosting their email accounts? Sounds like the later. And why is apache out of the question because it isn't made by MS? Thats like saying firefox is out of the question on linux because the copyright isn't held by the FSF with the communist Richard Stalin.

About the only thing you've mentioned that isn't available for windows servers is iptables.

Speak of tables though, what happens when they are turned?

Where do I get linux support for architectural design and engineering software such as autocad and mathcad? The only linux alternatives aren't even in the same league as these. And when it comes to enterprise level application, openoffice.org doesn't cut the mustard as a replacement for MS office. If it did, pretty much all of the fortune 500 companies would have switched to it by now as they'd save millions.

Then how about the thousands of business level field specific software out there such as alldata service center that are only available for windows? Sure I guess I could hire an IT staff to write and maintain the stuff, but why do that when somebody has already made one that will do everything I need, and some, that I can buy for $300?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 08-05-07, 10:30 PM   #47
Rakeesh

Quote:
Alpha: Haha, too bad the drivers for that would suck.
It'll work just fine. It's OSX remember? It just works

Quote:
My iMac runs OSX just fine.
Ok, sell that rig and replace it with an imac.

Old 08-06-07, 12:18 AM   #48
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
It'll work just fine. It's OSX remember? It just works
Yeah, it does work . . . for the hardware it's MADE to work with.

Quote:
Ok, sell that rig and replace it with an imac.
Already did that a year and a half ago.
Closed Thread