Closed Thread

Old 08-06-07, 02:13 PM   #73
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Vista Ultimate x64 Thought/Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
its called cache, why don't you google it
But why does MS have to waste my RAM like that?
Old 08-06-07, 02:13 PM   #74
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
i mean were all enthusiasts here, so of course we are trying to squeeze as much as we can out of these things. but look at what linux can do with minimal resources. is it any wonder that MS's software got labeled as bloatware? (Apple btw, is even worse with memory from what i hear).
And that is exactly why Linux distros are running on 90% marketshare and Microsoft is in danger of bankruptcy...

I bought this RAM so it can be used, as such I want my OS to USE it. I bought this hard drive to be used, so I want my OS USING it. I bought this CPU to be used, as such I want my OS to use it. Heck, my whole purpose for building my computer was to make use of each piece of hardware on it- and I want my OS doing just that.

Vista takes up so much for multiple and VERY GOOD reasons. It is caching all of your most commonly used apps in RAM instead of on the hard drive. Hence why Vista, on a properly equiped machine, feels significantly more responsive than XP. I would recomend no less than 1gig for Vista x86, and no less than 2 for Vista x64. For XP, I'd recommend no less than a gig either. It just becomes too sluggish when using less than that.

And I have useb Ubuntu and Kubuntu- and I like 'em a lot- but they definitely fall short of the functionality Windows offers. The average Joe has no idea what a command prompt is, let alone how to use one.

Vista was designed to never leave your computer Idle- it is always using the hardware there for one thing or another- typically that would translate to it using the RAM to keep you most frequently utilized items cached, and regularly utilised Windows features cached, thus enhancing the over all responsiveness of your system.

Last night I was playing a game of CS:S with some friends, and while waiting for it to switch levels I'd alt+tab out and either browse nVnews in IE7, or continue in my Rise of Legends game that I had paused. Never once did I get a crash, and never once was the computer "unresponsive".

If I buy a sports car, you'd get mad if you found out they sacrificed horsepower to improve it's efficiency in gas consuption. As such why should microsoft do the same? You RAM is sitting, why not have the OS use it in a way that improves overall system performance? And with Vista x64 it has to load both the 32 bit and 64 bit files for backwards compatibility- hence the requirement for more RAM- also if you understand what 64-bit means then you should also understand why the OS would need more RAM as well. Sure, you can use the 64 bit version with 512MB of RAM- but don't expect to get stellar system performance when you are doing anything that would stress the system. Forget content creation or web design, forget gaming or video editing, for get animation and music creation. Vista supports more hardware than any Linux distro (in regards to compatibility and driver support), Vista is "Plug and Play"- while I've yet to get that same functionality from either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Heck, in Kubuntu it didn't even recognise my camera when I plugged it in to download the pictures to my computer. Should I have to go into command prompt just to get it to recognize my camera? No. That function should be automatic- as it is with Windows.

If you don't like Vista- don't use it. Nobody (atleast I wont) will hold that against you. But don't bash it when your claims are extremely off-base and exagerated.
Old 08-06-07, 02:16 PM   #75
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Waste it? So you would prefer that data instead not be cached- thus anytime you do a basic function, or open up that program you frequently utilise- the OS has to fetch the data as if it were the first time you ever ran that program? You'd prefer that instead of Windows caching all the Windows features and functions you use most + the apps you use most so that they always load up quicker and operate a lot "snappier"? Well, if that is what you prefer then- to each their own I suppose. But I prefer my programs to load and operate as quickly as possible. I want to click on a function and have it happen as instantaneously as is possible, and it requires caching certain data for that to happen. If you don't mind waiting for things to load then...
Old 08-06-07, 02:26 PM   #76
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
i'm ****ing speechless
Old 08-06-07, 02:30 PM   #77
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Last night I was playing a game of CS:S with some friends, and while waiting for it to switch levels I'd alt+tab out and either browse nVnews in IE7, or continue in my Rise of Legends game that I had paused. Never once did I get a crash, and never once was the computer "unresponsive".

i do that from time to time. last week i was waiting for a friend to login to GW, i had GW minimized and started up overlord while i waited.
Old 08-06-07, 02:34 PM   #78
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Whoa, you mean, you guys can multi-task with Windows and it NOT crash?
I remember countless times, while I had my tv tuner card installed, I would be watching TV on my secondary monitor while waiting on a WoW raid to get going. Or I would be watching a movie, browsing the web, talking on IM and never experience the first sign of a crash. Me and my ex-roomy had a blast when I first got Flatout 2 and decided to watch Talladega Nights at the same time.
Old 08-06-07, 02:36 PM   #79
Redeemed

LOL

I think it is about time MS released a version of Windows that actually makes good use of today's available hardware. In a year most all systems will be running X64 flawlessly (2GB RAM or more). Heck, at Staples the weakest system comes with only 512MB RAM- but the "Upgraded" system comes with 1GB and is a far better price than the 512MB model. Go figure.
Old 08-06-07, 02:42 PM   #80
six_storm

Quote:
Waste it? So you would prefer that data instead not be cached- thus anytime you do a basic function, or open up that program you frequently utilise- the OS has to fetch the data as if it were the first time you ever ran that program? You'd prefer that instead of Windows caching all the Windows features and functions you use most + the apps you use most so that they always load up quicker and operate a lot "snappier"? Well, if that is what you prefer then- to each their own I suppose. But I prefer my programs to load and operate as quickly as possible. I want to click on a function and have it happen as instantaneously as is possible, and it requires caching certain data for that to happen. If you don't mind waiting for things to load then...
I understand about what you said. I bought my RAM to help my PC perform better in GAMES, not Firefox, Putty or Windows Explorer. When I'm away from the computer, I would like for my PC to run as low as possible instead of maxing out my RAM 100% of the time. That's like me keeping my car running with a jack underneath and a brick on the gas pedal when I'm at home. It's just wasting resources. I built this computer to play games and that's about it. It's rare that I use FF or any other app on here that is not a game. My Mac is "snappier" than Vista when it comes to Firefox, Mail, iLife apps, Photoshop, etc. Am I making sense?

Old 08-06-07, 02:43 PM   #81
Redeemed

Quote:
I understand about what you said. I bought my RAM to help my PC perform better in GAMES, not Firefox, Putty or Windows Explorer. When I'm away from the computer, I would like for my PC to run as low as possible instead of maxing out my RAM 100% of the time. That's like me keeping my car running with a jack underneath and a brick on the gas pedal when I'm at home. It's just wasting resources. I built this computer to play games and that's about it. It's rare that I use FF or any other app on here that is not a game. My Mac is "snappier" than Vista when it comes to Firefox, Mail, iLife apps, Photoshop, etc. Am I making sense?
You are, but what you fail to realise is a lot of that memory will be used up by even those games you run most frequently. It is just functioning as a cache of everything you use the most for the most part.
Old 08-06-07, 02:44 PM   #82
six_storm

Quote:
LOL

I think it is about time MS released a version of Windows that actually makes good use of today's available hardware. In a year most all systems will be running X64 flawlessly (2GB RAM or more). Heck, at Staples the weakest system comes with only 512MB RAM- but the "Upgraded" system comes with 1GB and is a far better price than the 512MB model. Go figure.
I'll agree to that. I've seen that in BB and CC ads, the hardware is getting more and more powerful for the money. Vista seems to be forcing vendors like Dell and HP to beef up their machines for it.
Old 08-06-07, 02:46 PM   #83
six_storm

Quote:
You are, but what you fail to realise is a lot of that memory will be used up by even those games you run most frequently. It is just functioning as a cache of everything you use the most for the most part.
Well, duh. I know that when a game is ran, more memory will be dedicated to it. But when I'm not at my PC, I don't want it maxing out.
Old 08-06-07, 02:49 PM   #84
evilghost

Cache is good. Linux does this as well. What good is the RAM if it isn't being used. When a program is executed the contents are copied from HDD to RAM and executed, if you have the available RAM then 'caching' the application by leaving it in RAM eliminates the slow loading from HDD->RAM.

The key is to purge cache as more physical RAM is needed.
Closed Thread