Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-07, 08:34 PM   #1
sith39

Default using XvMC with GeForce 6200

I'm trying to downgrade the nvidia drives from version: 1.0-1001 to version: 1.0-8756 because i read that 1.0-8756 fixed support for XvMC for GeForce 6200 . I have try the latest drives but the picture quality when watching videos is very poor and mythtv have error using XvCM. When i try to install drivers 1.0-8756 it say " Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources" . how can i fix this ?. I'm using debian etch with a custom kernel "2.6.20.20-custom"
I have install the package " kernel sources " . i have try to install nvidia-kernel but I don't know witch one to install since I'm using 2.6.20.20 and i don't see any kernel 2.6.20. i new to linux , any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (65.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-installer log file.txt (3.0 KB, 82 views)
sith39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 09:49 PM   #2
dhubsith

Default Re: using XvMC with GeForce 6200

I also have a GeForce 6200 and have been trying to use XvMC. I have been successful with mplayer, but not successful with kaffeine/xine. I am running the latest kernel, 2.6.23 and the latest Nvidia driver, 100.14.19. My distro is Slackware 12.0.

I compile mplayer with ./configure --enable-xvmc. Then I run mplayer with the command:
mplayer dvb:// -ao alsa -af volume=-1 -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc -zoom -fs

The channel I am tuning is the PBS HD channel on satellite AMC3, it is transmitted in 1080i, and the picture quality is awesome when using XvMC. It is not possible to get a watchable picture with Xv, you get macroblocks and breakup.

I have tried to get the same results with xine (using xine-lib and either kaffeine or the xine-ui interface) and have never been able to get it to work. Apparently this is a known bug, reported on both the xine and nvidia forums, and has been known since at least May of this year.

I am hoping that someone will pick up this bug and chase it down, there has been no action on it for months.
dhubsith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 10:07 PM   #3
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhubsith
I have tried to get the same results with xine (using xine-lib and either kaffeine or the xine-ui interface) and have never been able to get it to work. Apparently this is a known bug, reported on both the xine and nvidia forums, and has been known since at least May of this year.

I am hoping that someone will pick up this bug and chase it down, there has been no action on it for months.
If you mean this one:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...55&atid=109655
I'am the only reporter so nobody will care till more people confirm the bug. I never looked at code deeper as I thought I'm the only one who encountered this bug. It looks there is too small XvMC buffer in xine.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 08:54 AM   #4
dhubsith

zbiggy, yes, that's the one, somebody named humphrey8 had the problem also. The nvnews thread is here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91093

I didn't dig really deeply into it, I did try compiling xine-lib with (and without) the following:
./configure --with-xvmc-lib=XvMCNVIDIA --with-xvmc-path=/usr/lib --with-xxmc-lib=XvMCNVIDIA --with-xxmc-path=/usr/lib

I tried xine-lib 1.1.7 and 1.1.8, and tried kaffeine 0.8.4 and 0.8.5. also tried xine-ui. If you force it to use xvmc (or xxmc) it will crash immediately. I also found that it doesn't matter whether the Via driver from xorg (which also uses xvmc) is installed or not. It also doesn't matter if /etc/X11/XvMCConfig is present or not.

sith39, sorry I went off on a tangent, but it does appear that we have the same problem. You do NOT need to go back to an older nvidia driver, the latest one does work, at least with mplayer. That means that the whole signal path (kernel, X, nvidia driver, mplayer, and the hardware) are all working as they should, at least with each other. When xine comes into the picture, something breaks, not sure if it is actually a prob of xine or just an incompatibility.
Old 10-21-07, 11:13 AM   #5
zbiggy

@dhubsith: This xvmc bug is in xine only and since x.org 7.3. MPlayer works fine. I tried to compile xine in many ways but nothing helps. Xine team can only solve this. For me it looks there is too short buffer and data starvation occurs in xine. However I have not browsed code yet.
Old 10-21-07, 11:43 AM   #6
zbiggy

I have just tried:
x.org 1.4.0
libXvMC 1.0.4
libXvMCW 0.9.3
xine 1.1.8
MPlayer 1.0rc2

The situation is the same like with x.org 7.3:
MPlayer plays great like always:
mplayer -vo xvmc:bobdeint:queue -vc ffmpeg12mc dvd/mpeg2 clip
Xine has the same problems like with x.org 7.3:
-video window freezing/pauses
-junk blocks on screen in random places
-total freeze finally.
kill -9 pid can only kill xine.
xine -V xvmc dvd/mpeg2 clip
xine -V xxmc dvd/mpeg2 clip
there is no difference on both xvmc/xxmc outputs. Both goes crazy in the same way.

No matter if there is mpeg-2 file on hdd or DVD. The xine problems are the same on every mpeg content.

I will go to xine bug report and update it for x.org 1.4.0 to show this is not only xorg 7.3 bug.
Old 10-21-07, 11:58 AM   #7
sith39

So this problem is related to GeForce 6200 only ?. I do have a e-GeForce MX4000 somewhere around , will the e-GeForce MX4000 be affected by this xvmc bug is in xine too ?. thank you for all you're reply's
Old 10-21-07, 01:04 PM   #8
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith39
So this problem is related to GeForce 6200 only ?
No. I have Geforce 6150. AFAIR the FX5200 is also problematic. I think the problem is inside xine. MPlayer works great. If it was driver fault all players would fail but the only broken is xine.

Old 10-22-07, 08:41 PM   #9
sith39

What nvidia card would you recommend for me to buy that does not have this issue with XvMC in xine and can be use in mythtv and deliver a decent pictures.
Old 10-22-07, 09:48 PM   #10
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith39
What nvidia card would you recommend for me to buy that does not have this issue with XvMC in xine and can be use in mythtv and deliver a decent pictures.
Downgrade to x.org 7.2 or push on Xine developers to fix the xine's xvmc/xxmc output driver. In my opinion the bug has nothing to do with gpu driver/hardware - xorg or xine have to be fixed. This is software problem.
Old 10-23-07, 11:53 AM   #11
dhubsith

Yes, I agree that the problem is software, not hardware. I wasn't sure if there might have been a problem on the nvidia driver side, but it now appears that xorg changed, and xine didn't match the change, whereas mplayer did.

Now I wonder...would it be possible to downlevel just one package, libXvMC, which on Slack 12.0 is at 1.0.4 level. Installing ALL of X 7.2 would be a bit of a job, but compiling and installing a single module would be fairly simple. Or does the problem go deeper than that?
Old 10-23-07, 04:41 PM   #12
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhubsith
Now I wonder...would it be possible to downlevel just one package, libXvMC, which on Slack 12.0 is at 1.0.4 level. Installing ALL of X 7.2 would be a bit of a job, but compiling and installing a single module would be fairly simple. Or does the problem go deeper than that?
Do not know. It would be interesting to find which X library is causing problems with xine. I started to browse problem from other end: I look for X 7.2->7.3 change log to find any XvMC code changes. No success so far. This may be accidental change which is not described in changelog.

Here is the list of updates modules in x.org 7.3 since x.org 7.2:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.3
There is no XvMC changes since 7.2 so problem lies in some of x server libraries.