Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-07, 05:06 PM   #1
johnclubvec

Default New motherboard: AGP now fails and card seems much slower

I am attaching my nvidia-bug-report.log.

nvidia 6600 LE AGP
kernel 2.4.33.3
nvidia driver 7185 (have experimented with several others in the 8xxx and 9xxx series, to no avail).

The 6600 was working wonderfully in my old Asus P4SDX motherboard, but the P4SDX failed recently. I had to buy a barebones computer with a MSI PM8PM-V motherboard (Via P4M800 chipset) and transfer all my cards and drives. Now AGP fails completely ('cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status' yields "AGP initialization failed...") and overall performance is reduced; for instance, I notice that CPU usage is now noticeably higher watching hdtv (I've never used xvmc), and glxgears is also down from 8000 to 5000.

How do I fix this?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (142.0 KB, 95 views)
johnclubvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 05:08 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: New motherboard: AGP now fails and card seems much slower

100.14.11 is the only supported driver for your GPU.

You're not using the nvidia driver in the bug report that you attached.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 05:09 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Unsupported Via chipset (device id: 0314), you might want to try agp_try_unsupported=1.
agpgart: no supported devices found.

The AGPGART version you're using does not support your chipset; you will need to use a more recent kernel release.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 10:21 AM   #4
johnclubvec

netllama and zander,

Thank you for your speedy replies!

You are the experts; however, you leave me a bit confused.

I have simply transported everything, hard drive, 6600LE, etc. (and thus all drivers and configurations), from the old motherboard .. where the 6600LE was working.. to the new one, where it does not. Please bear with me a little since you seem to be implying MAJOR surgery to fix this, from kernel 2.4 to 2.6, and possibly from gcc 3.4.6 to 4.x. I'm naturally anxious to avoid this except as a last resort.

While the 8xxx drivers are not 'supported,' the 6600LE worked pretty good with them in my old motherboard. Also, the 100 series drivers, including 100.14.11, will not install:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.o'. This happens most
frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
from the one used to build the target kernel....

-> Kernel module load error: ./usr/src/nv/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol
release_console_sem
./usr/src/nv/nvidia.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols....

As to AGP, I had presumed that nvidia agpgart rather than the kernel's had been used in the old motherboard, but zander, your comments make me doubt my assumption. I note that I can 'upgrade' to kernel 2.4.35 from 2.4.33.3. Perhaps the device ID for AGP support for this chipset has been back-ported? I will report back.

Do you have any other comments or suggestions in the interim?
Old 08-02-07, 02:08 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

For the 100.14.11 installation problem, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...28&postcount=2; as to the AGP GART driver, NvAGP doesn't support your new chipset, so even if it had been driving your old chipset, it wouldn't be able to drive the new one. It's possible that Linux 2.4.35 has a more recent AGPGART driver version with support with your new chipset, but I suspect you may need to upgrade to Linux 2.6.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 04:49 PM   #6
johnclubvec

Thank you, zander.

I have downloaded the latest 2.4 kernel. Within the agp section, there are zero differences between it and my kernel, so my agp chipset will not be recognized there, either.

I will have to look into slowly migrating to 2.6 in a test partition while continuing to use my present setup, which works, just not as well as I'd been used to.
Old 08-02-07, 04:56 PM   #7
pe1chl

This is quite a normal situation when you suddenly change the hardware to something much newer.
With Windows, you would have been re-installing the OS and put drivers on it for the hardware you have.
With Linux, you can often just swap largish parts of the hardware and keep it running (especially when you know some details), but that does not mean it will always work OK.
When I did something like what you describe at work, the problem was that the new system had SATA drives and the kernel did not recognize the controller.
But when my system here at home failed last week, I placed the diskdrive and videocard in another box and it continues to work as before, after only some fiddling with the network card config.
So, the results vary.

Looking at the versions you mention, your best bet is to keep your own data in a safe place (or buy a new diskdrive) and install a modern Linux distribution from scratch. Then at least you have a consistent system which supports modern hardware.
I know it sounds like a difficult project, and depending on how much you have done to the system it may require a few hours or days, but in the end you probably have a cleaner system.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote