Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-07, 03:42 AM   #37
Fackamato
User

Default Re: What flavor are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound
Yes I had seen one hour ago, but it handles well the dependencies? or you have to install before doing the PKGBUIKD?
No no, all you need to do is grab the .tar.gz which includes the PGGBULD and required files, extract it to for example /var/abs/local/ and cd to that dir, then type makepkg. All deps etc will be taken care of automatically. After compilation you've got a package, install it with pacman -A package.tar.gz or pacman -U. BTW, I recommend you to check out yaourt, a great CLI frontend for pacman (it searches the AUR etc, great tool!)
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 03:44 AM   #38
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato
No no, all you need to do is grab the .tar.gz which includes the PGGBULD and required files, extract it to for example /var/abs/local/ and cd to that dir, then type makepkg. All deps etc will be taken care of automatically. After compilation you've got a package, install it with pacman -A package.tar.gz or pacman -U. BTW, I recommend you to check out yaourt, a great CLI frontend for pacman (it searches the AUR etc, great tool!)

Nice, similar to Debian.
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 04:35 AM   #39
freedom777

If y'all dont mind debian sid Thers a really great distro called Sidux.This distro rocks.ive tryed alot of distros but i got to tell ya this one is the funnest one ive tinkered with.Pure debian sid at its best.

Regards,Rob
freedom777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 07:53 AM   #40
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom777
[Sidux] Pure debian sid at its best.
I think "Debian GNU/Linux Sid" is "Pure debian sid at its best". ;-)

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 08:20 PM   #41
freedom777

Guess i should have said Pure Debian Sid ,Without alot of the Headaches assocated with running Sid(unstable).As they take care of them for ya.Cause im still just a geek wannabe So check out Sidux, it just might be what alot of people are looking for.
freedom777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 09:57 AM   #42
LinuxManMike
<duct tape>C</duct tape>

Using Fedora 7 here, soon to be Fedora 8. I play with other distros on occasion. I always keep a copy of Knoppix handy as a rescue disc. Kicked the tires on Slackware when I was a newbie, but haven't gotten around to playing with it again. Looked at Debian recently. Would like to try Gentoo sometime, and LFS. Actually easier for me to try distros now with VirtualBox, just need to find the time.
LinuxManMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 07:58 PM   #43
grey_1

I just re-installed Ubuntu 7.10 with all updates. Very high level of polish in this distro. Now I just need to see if the same instabilities crop up that turned me off the first time.
Old 12-05-07, 08:24 PM   #44
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
YDL
I don't get it.

Old 12-06-07, 10:23 AM   #45
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I don't get it.
I think he means YellowDog Linux.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 02:05 PM   #46
grey_1

Ah, thanks.
Old 12-07-07, 05:09 PM   #47
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
That's it, on my PS3. I think anyone who runs YDL is the ultimate Linux noob.
noob? Or nerd?

So far I'm hyper-impressed with this Ubuntu 7.10

It's perfect for my level of expertise (low) easy to learn on, but it seems all the tools are there to learn anything I need to. Still very stable.
Old 12-08-07, 05:59 AM   #48
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
noob? Or nerd?

So far I'm hyper-impressed with this Ubuntu 7.10

It's perfect for my level of expertise (low) easy to learn on, but it seems all the tools are there to learn anything I need to. Still very stable.

I´ll surely be a geek, love gentoo linux, compiling everything for my machine, I know it is not more faster than other precompiled distros and it takes a lot of time but is a nice distro to learn everything about linux, config files, compilation issues (can be really frustrating sometimes) and reading manuals
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote