Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-07, 04:19 AM   #1
brb-navpro

Unhappy Quadro FX 1500 failure to initialize in RHEL 4 WS

I'm trying to use a Quadro FX 1500 in RHEL 4 WS. The goal is to have it run a dual head display, individual desktops.

I should mention that the card has been attached to a pci 8x slot via a 16x-to-8x adapter.

Oddly enough, I had previously had RHEL 5 Server installed, and it recognized the quadro fine, but I had to revert back to 4, and no love there.

The machine I'm using has an onboard ATI ES1000 that works (although I cannot get the dual head display to work for it.) it will recognize and start the X server.

I installed the latest driver. 100.14.11 and then allowed the installation to edit my xorg.conf file. It failed to start the X server (upon going into runlevel 5, I got a message saying the X server failed to start, prompted to view the X server output log file, and automatically edit the X configuration or fix it myself), so I restored the backup and edited myself to use the ATI for one display, the nVidia for the other, for testing purposes.

Is there a conflict here? I'd like to be able to test blind on one screen and see what I'm doing on the other. I have, however, tried with only the quadro defined in the xorg.conf file and have tried a multitude of different settings. There's probably something very simple that I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (23.3 KB, 131 views)
brb-navpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 01:56 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Quadro FX 1500 failure to initialize in RHEL 4 WS

Try removing the "Screen 1" directive from the "nvidia0" device. You also have two depth 24 subsections in the "Screen1" section.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:59 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Quadro FX 1500 failure to initialize in RHEL 4 WS

You're not using the nvidia driver in the bug report that you attached (in fact, you're using ATI's radeon driver). I can't comment on the problem you're reporting when its not captured in your bug report.

Also, you should retest with RHEL-4.5. The original RHEL4 release isn't supported by Redhat any longer, and has many known kernel bugs which can cause instability.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 04:26 AM   #4
brb-navpro

Thumbs up Re: Quadro FX 1500 failure to initialize in RHEL 4 WS

Thanks for the responses.

Your suggestion, AaronP, got that display working properly. So I have the ATI and the NVIDIA running, using the NVIDIA driver (aswell as the radeon, I believe).

Tinkering some more, I've got both monitors being displayed off the quadro. The only issue is that no video signal reaches the monitor outside of X in the command console.

Although not crucial at this point, I'd like to get this working. So any advice is appreciated.

I've attached another bug-report (using the quadro exclusively), not sure if this issue could be spotted there though.

I will be taking your advice netllama and updating soon.

Thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (22.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 08-09-07, 05:04 AM   #5
brb-navpro

Exclamation Re: Quadro FX 1500 failure to initialize in RHEL 4 WS

This issue is more crucial than I previously thought. The performance of the ATI ES1000 is not acceptable.

This machine is being used in a production environment and the performance of the video card is important.

So, I post again for a shameless bump and also to shift the attitude of anyone reading, so that they know that this is more important than it was made out to be in my last post.

Again, to summarize. The quadros can be used to drive two displays. The only issue is that there is no video displayed during POST, only upon entering X does video reach the monitor. Before X, the LED on the monitor indicating an active signal is yellow as if there is nothing reaching it at all.

In case it is important, the video out of the quadro to the monitor comes, from the quadro as DVI, through a DVI-to-VGA adapter, to a KVM switch, and as ethernet cat5 to another KVM, to VGA, to the monitor. I know that mice sent through a KVM can have erratic behavior unless an extra line is added to the kernel line in the grub.conf file in RHEL 4, so I mention this here.

So, if anyone has a suggestion besides connecting a third mini-monitor exclusively for the purpose of displaying POST... I'd appreciate it.